Belinda77
Level 1: Cadet

Number on SIM changing after overseas trip

I recently went to the USA and while there I purchased an American prepaid SIM and used it in my IPhone 6s for the 4 weeks I was there. When I returned to Australia and put my Australian Telstra SIM back in to my phone it continues to register my American number for about 24 hours and then the number changed to an Australian mobile number but not the number that was previously in that SIM. When I went in to the Telstra shop they checked the SIM and insisted that the number that was currently being displayed was the correct number but it absolutely wasn't, I had been using a completely different number for 4 months prior to going to the US. There is no possible chance of the SIM being accidentally mixed with another one. Can anyone shed some light on what might of happened here? Ps. The number that the SIM automatically changed to was linked to my account but it was not an active number on the SIM.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
3 REPLIES 3
Caaf
Level 23: Superhero

Re: Number on SIM changing after overseas trip

Hey Belinda,

Just to clarify, the number has change across the board or just messages?

Cheers,
Dave

Belinda77
Level 1: Cadet

Hi Dave,

Across the board. It comes up as a different number when I call people of message them and it even shows the changed number in my contacts under 'my number'.

Thanks
Belinda
Caaf
Level 23: Superhero

Wow, that's a total trip!

I'd turn off imessaging for now and head back to the Telstra shop and request a replacement sim. At least you'll see your account information on the screen and maybe see what's happening? Oh I'd current sim at home and hopefully after they activate the new sim the crazy phone will be back to normal.

Cheers,
Dave

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit