Highlighted
Level 3: Gumshoe

optus now officially support esim, where are you telstra?

As per title.

So now that optus officially support esim, and are readily doing esim swapovers in their retail stores, where is telstra on this?

https://www.optus.com.au/esim

C'mon telstra, what happened to "last year we were one of the first to release esim on the iwatch....". Telstra is supposed to be a premium service with all the bells and whistles, it's disappointing that it's dragging its feet like this.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
17 REPLIES 17
Highlighted
Support Team
Support Team

Re: optus now officially support esim, where are you telstra?

Thanks for the questions @frownface and sorry for the frustrations. 

There is no news on when we will be rolling out eSIM with our services however we will be sure to inform our members the minute it all goes live.

Apologies again for the frustrations and please do reach out if you have any other questions or concerns.

- Jimmy

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Highlighted
Level 2: Rookie

Telstra better move faster on this. The company I work for who have well over 100 services with Telstra are about to update from iPhone SE's to iPhone XR's. eSIM is a high priority for them as many users travel overseas and want a second Sim.

Personally I don't travel overseas and have selected a BYOD device option, I just want to use my own iPhone XS Max with my person Simcard as an eSIM and my physical work SIM. If Telstra don;t come to the party very soon well over 100 devices will be heading over to the other carrier who supports eSIM.

I for one am will be a test subject for Telstra if need be. Just please hurry up, I really don;t want to be dealing with the other carrier again. 

Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

Not good enough Jimmy. It's 2019 mate. You're to busy firing people, restructuring and screwing up the NBN. You guys think just because you have a great network you can drag feet, but I'm on the cusp of leaving you after 14 years with Telstra. This one isn't about anything but you not doing your job. And my family and my business will come with me. Pull your finger out out I'll pull mine out. See who wins! You have until October. My Pixel 3XL is top of the line and you're only worried about popularity with Sammy and Apple. Rubbish...
Highlighted

TELSTRA ANY UPDATE ON THIS OR ARE YOU STILL DRAGGING YOUR FEET...

Highlighted
Support Team
Support Team

Hello @Grumbles, no new information at this stage I'm sorry, I am sure we'll announce it when it's ready though. 

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Highlighted

I waited a year for telstra’s esim as we only have their signal. I was told September. Last september!

Optus assured me the wifi calling would make it all possible. But I’d have to port my original number over to them as well. So over  I went and it was a disaster!

I knew it was all new and there’d be a few bumps but even in a decent reception area the calls and texts would fail most of the times

I ported my 1st number back within a week.

My esim issues got elevated (after maybe 7 hours collectively) until I spoke to the head technician from optus (in Australia!) He told me from his perspective  esim is not supported and he, nor his department had any offical training, documentation or structure to deal with it.

I said i was willing to be a test pilot while they got it sorted, and there’s no point or any updates in the pipeline so why bother was his reply. 

As for the phone (XR) it would have been pretty slick had it worked as was pretty easy to work it all out.

But it had many obvious features missing. 

You think you could have separate ring tones for seperate numbers and be able to schedule do not disturb times for after hours. I don’t  even think it showed which number the incoming call was directed to. It didn’t work well enough to gather all that data. 

I wont go in to the dramas I had getting out of the contracts as we’ve all been through it. 

I JUST WISH TELSTRA WOULD GET THEIR ACT TOGETHER. Though I have a feeling it would be an even more frustrating experience. 

Highlighted
Level 11: Detective
Level 11: Detective

I have a feeling Jimmy may not be responsible for the staff lay offs.

NBN is plenty screwed up regardless of provider. If you want something from Telstra, your best bet is to get in contact with them. This is not an official service channel 

Highlighted

https://www.macpricesaustralia.com.au/2019/04/optus-esim-for-iphone/

Com'on Telstra.   Optus is ahead of you... Why?

Highlighted

not just optus anymore.

Vodafone went live with esim last week.

https://www.vodafone.com.au/support/device/esim

Telstra is officially the last of the big 3 telcos.

Highlighted

Had a Chat with someone from JB Hifi yesterday- looks like eSim for Xs and Xr is being released today. Will go down a lunch time and confirm. =)

I'll let you all know the results =)

Highlighted

Seems like only the training for them was released today, the local JB is awaiting the QR codes (why cant they just print them?? *shrugs sholders).  20th is the date i got as well as this person from this thread:

https://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/Apple-iPhone/iPhone-XS-eSIM/td-p/780530

So yay!! =)

Highlighted

It's live now!

Highlighted

Highlighted

yep i went to a store as well, not physically available until the 20th.

Highlighted

Hey All,

looks like Telstra is on the eSim train now at last... it makes for good reading (https://www.telstra.com.au/coverage-networks/mobile-technology/esim) however I'd like to know more about the "Things you should know" tab at the bottom of the page hiding away some details...

"When one mobile service is being used, the second mobile service becomes inactive. This means you can only receive calls and texts, or use data, on one service at a time. Call forwarding can be set up so you don't miss any calls when either service is inactive."

Not much of a duel Sim if 1 of the Sims becomes inactive... what does this mean, and how fast can i port out of Telstra if they are going to screw us?

Highlighted
Level 25: The Singularity
Level 25: The Singularity

That's a handset functionality. Most (if not all) phones can only have one service in active operation at a time.

eg If you are on a call on Service A, then incoming calls on Service B will go straight to voicemail.

If you are not on a call on either service, then they will both be on standby until you either initiate a call, or a call comes in on one of the services.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Highlighted
Level 4: Private Eye

Friday it is, although Telstra had been processing orders since Sunday, but they have now cancelled them, including mine, without any notification at all. A few have been lucky to actually get their QR code, and others have shipping notices. Pretty poor form on Telstra's part to process orders then backflip.

iPhone XS 64Gg Silver

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit