Marty6
Level 1: Cadet

POP folder in Outlook

Hi All, I've got my email with the @bigpond.com prefix. I have recently changed from POP and it is now hosted by Outlook.com. I have my outlook account set up on my IPhone5 and an IPad and original POP settings on my Mac. All are running latest software.

On my Iphone, there is now a  'pop' folder as well as the inbox etc. Some mail appears in the inbox but most just appears in the pop folder. Mail in my inbox disapears without me deleting it.

I am sure that there is a simple answer based arund my ignorance. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Regards,

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
3 REPLIES 3
Yeldarb
Level 20: Director

Re: POP folder in Outlook

Check your computer is not deleting mail from the server after doing a send and receive. You will find this setting in the advanced section of your email account. If you have the same account setup on your iPad you will need to check that as well.

mac-delete-mail-from-server.jpg

Marty6
Level 1: Cadet

Thanks for the response.

It appears to work but time will tell.

Thanks.

Yeldarb
Level 20: Director

If I am out and about with my mobile I can retrieve mail from the server any time I wish. Once I am home and I hit send and receive on my computer the same messages that I got on my mobile will be downloaded to my computer and permanently removed from the server. If I was to hit send and receive again on my phone the messages that I downloaded to my phone earlier will disappear. Essentially the phone is syncing (well not really) with the server and it does not see those messages anymore so it removes them from the phone. If you tick leave the mail on the server the messages will not be removed from your phone however your mail box will eventually fill up.

That is the short story and there is 100 variations on what can or might happen depending on how all 3 of your devices are set up and what email programs you are using. If you wish to synchronise your mail properly the best method is to use imap not pop mail. Both pop and imap have their advantages and disadvantages.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit