bjay51
Level 2: Rookie

Prepaid versus postpaid

Answered

I have two iPhones on Telstra Postpaid BYO plans in a broadband bundle. I am considering moving to prepaid plans, perhaps with Aldi. I understand Aldi use the Telstra network. I am wondering if there are benefits staying Postpaid with Telstra. What would I lose by switching to an Aldi plan? I'm thinking of issues like support, network performance. Does Aldi have the same access to the Telstra network as I do now? There are price benefits going Prepaid obviously, whether with Telstra, Aldi, or any other provider using the Telstra network.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
ProfessorPhone
Level 23: Superhero
Accepted Solution

Re: Prepaid versus postpaid

Aldi do use Telstra's network, but only their basic 4G  LTE  (data) network.

Telstra retain 4GX extra high speed Telstra data network for their direct customers and do not make it available even to Belong, which they own.

"BEING NICE TO OTHERS .. IS NICE"
If I have helped you, a "Like" would be appreciated.

If my advice is a solution, please acknowledge it.

I'm not a Telstra employee.
50 + years exp. in radio comms., eg mobile phones since 1963, two-way radios, base stations, antennas & pagers. Expert in current Telstra Go repeaters & smart antennas.
"Being 76 years of age, entitles one to be an expert at everything!!"

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
5 REPLIES 5
ProfessorPhone
Level 23: Superhero
Accepted Solution

Aldi do use Telstra's network, but only their basic 4G  LTE  (data) network.

Telstra retain 4GX extra high speed Telstra data network for their direct customers and do not make it available even to Belong, which they own.

"BEING NICE TO OTHERS .. IS NICE"
If I have helped you, a "Like" would be appreciated.

If my advice is a solution, please acknowledge it.

I'm not a Telstra employee.
50 + years exp. in radio comms., eg mobile phones since 1963, two-way radios, base stations, antennas & pagers. Expert in current Telstra Go repeaters & smart antennas.
"Being 76 years of age, entitles one to be an expert at everything!!"

View solution in original post

bjay51

ProfessorPhone,

Thanks for your response. It partly answers my question. Hopefully I will get additional assistance.

Jupiter
Level 25: The Singularity

What other information are you after?

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
bjay51

Jupiter,

If there is a problem when using a third-party SIM, will Telstra provide tech support or the SIM provider (e.g. Aldi)?

Does Telstra Prepaid only use the Telstra 4G LTE network rather than 4GX? (see ProfessorPhone reply).

Are there any other drawbacks to using a prepaid contract with another provider compared with Telstra Postpaid?

Regards, Bjay51.

Jupiter

Telstra Prepaid uses the entire Telstra Network (3G, 4G, 4GX, 5G).

For tech support with a 3rd party, you need to go through the 3rd party's support channels.

The drawbacks on using Prepaid currently on any Telstra based service is the lack of International Roaming. Anything else would need to be a comparison of what you need versus what is supplied by the plan that you are looking at.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit