Highlighted
Level 10: Junior Detective

Reasons to still expect more from Telstra

Hi All

I, most likely like a lot of you since the 2/10 post by Yannick and the subsequent callsto discuss our back orders (if you got one), still find I have a lot of issues unresolved and no confidence anything has actually changed. 

My issues:

Communication and active acknowledgement of an official nature about the issues we have experienced is still missing (no e-mail, released statement etc). This needs to be recognised. For anyone not agreeing with this, such as perhaps someone at Telstra glossing over our issues, or one of the trolls that has been lurking and posting, the following issues have not been officially acknowledged:

1. Telstra took preorders without knowing whether they could fill them all. If readers at Telstra don't agree with this assertion then it means Telstra must have known their stock level and it seems to me that either one of the following would have to therefore be true:

- If Telstra maintain that they knew they had run out of stock and intended to send e-mail confirmations with a 2-4 week time line, not because of the location of customers as it states, but instead because they realised they ran out of pre-order stock, then Telstra knew they had stock shortages but did not advise clients up front on their website and instead only did so after preordering and getting the immediate order confirmation e-mail. This would be a misleading way of doing business. Would Telstra really risk doing this? Also, the fact that an SMS was sent referencing the 2-4 weeks in the e-mail (and even sent to many many of those who had already received delivery) indicates there must have been doubt that people would understand their e-mail as they wanted. Doubt for a reason: that is not how it reads.

or 

- Telstra didn't build into their preorder system intelligence to stop taking orders when inventory ran out and when finding resistance to long waits tried to change the meaning of the location caveat on e-mail confirmations to just be "well we told you 2-4 weeks". In other words going back and rewriting meaning. Again, would Telstra really risk doing this?

2. Telstra's website continued to take pre-orders without advising delays (remember it did not immediately advise 2-4 weeks, this seems to have been forgotten), sending almost immediate order confirmation e-mails for the remainder of the pre-order period with advice they will despatch from 19/9 with the caveat of 2-4 weeks that only referenced location not stock delays.
  3. Telstra's website allowed orders to be placed before 5pm to those who knew handset URLs. This contravened Apple's embargo. This also enabled some to continue ordering during the period that the Telstra website was non-responsive to all regularly accessing customers (eg. anyone with an order able to be placed between 5pm and at least 6pm on 12/9).
  4. Telstra caused unnecessary delays to many customer's orders through a variety of ways: checking identity for established customers with account history, requiring a call to re-contracters but not making the calls etc. Some even repeatedly had the same issues affect them. This occurred during the time between pre-order launch and product launch, and then in the two weeks that followed product launch.
  5. Telstra did not inform customers of delays it would have known about in the days before and after the release date of 19/9, as it was a simple maths equation: pre-order quantities either can be covered by stock or not. Instead, staff continued to advise delivery would be imminent on multiple occassions through multiple channels. The correct information had not been given to the frontline staff. It is clear that Telstra knew of delays because it began to hand out $100 iTunes vouchers,
  6. Following product launch, Telstra's staff continued to provide wildly inaccurate and conflicting delivery advice information to customers, advising delivery would be within 24 hours, 24-48 hours, or several days because a handset had been allocated when it had not. Or for others advising a week, 2-5 business days, 2-7 business days, 1-2 weeks, 1-3 weeks and 2-4 weeks. Many of those who received a combination of these are still yet to receive delivery.
  7. Telstra did not communicate to customers accurate information about delays it would by now have known about, instead there were announcements on CrowdSupport advising all 6 Plus and all back orders would be processed and even Gerd Schenkel himself advise all back orders were covered with stock and would be despatched.
  8. Telstra staff made commitments to follow-up enquiries for customers but did not carry them out. Almost everyone has a story or multiple stories of staff not calling back as promised. 
  9. Telstra made data entry errors with online preorders which was preventable. The site used data validation methods for such things as model and plan selection. 
  10. Telstra picked and delivered the wrong stock to many customers. Many received a 6 instead of a 6 Plus or vice versa. Many received multiple handsets instead of one, with at least one customer even receiving three instead of one. Data validation should have been used from order page all the way through to barcode scanning of the handset without error.
  11. Telstra cancelled orders for a large number of customers, some even twice.
  12. Telstra staff from multile areas downplayed the magnitude of the problem by repeatedly quoting that only 125-150 customers were affected. We can see from the response to the notice of 2/10 that there are at least 300 who access the forums, and likely many many more who do not.  
  13. Telstra CrowdSupport moderators as late as just a couple days ago informed customers of other errors they can see on their orders that have delayed processing, some of which they can tell can be fixed internally without having to contact the customer. Why were these not caught and fixed in the pre-order period at the very least, or after?
  14. Points 9-11 have been acknowledged by multiple Telstra staff on CrowdSupport, 24x7 chat and the online order call centre to have caused those affected to move back in the queue for their speciefic device.
  15. Telstra staff have directed us to use the online order tracking page to track our orders when there is nothing meaningful there for us. No one was able to decypher what the statuses actually meant (eg. in progress, delayed, complete) and even Gerd admitted that it was not designed for pre-order use as all orders end up just simply listed as delayed when not able to be despatched immediately.
  16. Telstra has not been consistent in the way it has compensated customers for the problems it has caused them. Some have received $100 iTunes vouchers and some have had a month of post-paid billing credited, while many others (myself included) have had no such offering.
  17. There was an attempt to negate our expectations based on advice from various staff and channels about imminent delivery by suddenly adding a new classification: a completely arbitrary denoting of some pre-orders after a vague point as back orders and then talking down to us as though we were silly for thinking we had a pre-order and not a back order. The pre-order period ran from 12/9 to 18/9 as per Apple and any other language attempted to be put to this is Telstra trying to change the goal posts afterward.
  18. Then there was another attempt, this time by not acknowledging that many had been told they would get imminent delivery and instead going back to the 2-4 weeks thing. Again trying to change the goal posts to suit Telstra instead of treating the customer with some respect. 

Not only have the above issues not been acknowledged, but we still are encountering some of them:

1. It is still clear based on those who have received delivery advice in the last couple days when quoting their order date/time  that the order of which stock is being allocated has still not been fixed. I personally am still seeing those who ordered my exact model receiving despatch confirmations and delivery when they ordered after me and I still have no indication of when I will be allocated stock, let alone a delivery.
  2. Some are still getting conflicting advice about delivery. Some were told on the day of the 2/10 calls that stock had been physically allocated to them in the warehouse and then later told that this was not the case and they await stock.
  3. We are still being directed to use the online order tracking page but it remains of no use as all our orders are still listed as delayed with no ETA. 

For those still without a delivery, we still have other issues:

1. Many still have no concrete nor even guide info going forward about supply. For instance I have been told that it is hoped that my order will ship within a couple weeks. Still nothing more certain. 
  2. Our complaints case managers often do not call at all. They promised regular updates. I have yet to receive one despite having a case manager for 2 weeks. When I have requested contact twice, only once have I been called and it was after 3 days. The most recent request was a week ago and no contact. 
  3. We have no confidence in communication from Telstra still. We have no reason to expect meaningful info about supply because nothing has changed. Not only did the announcement on 2/10 mislead most to think "processed" as did the previous one as most thought it meant the orders should have been shipped or received given the request to leave details if this was not the case, but it has not even corrected to reflect this issue. 
  4. Many customers ordering iPhone 6 models are still without a phone, but have discovered their handsets in stores or have had call backs when on wait lists from multiple stores advising they have stock of their handset.
  5. Given above: Why are the online store orders not getting access to this stock? Why are pre-order or order cancellations not being processed quickly to help out customers who have already been so run through the ringer. Why not focus energies on getting solutions for those affected to finally free them of this awful experience?
  6. Why are those that are being advised that stock has been assigned to their order being told they should receive despatch details in a couple days? The Telstra online store actively promotes reasons to use it and includes "metro next day delivery".

In addition I think it is fair to ask:

- Why only contact those that left details on the 2/10 announcement about processing? What about the rest of the poor people who don't use this forum. Telstra could surely have just run a report and called all. It seems to us that it was just an effort to quiet us down. The issues remain so the dissatisfaction will return for those still without handsets.

- Why weren't all of those who left their details called. I get the impression from comments that perhaps only the first half were called.

Whether we are new customers, existing customers, recontracting customers or any other variant, we should all be given the courtesy of being properly communicated to and treated. This is how a business judges success. Dollars only follow if you get this right.

Also, it is in Telstra's interests to treat customers right who order by its' preferred method. There is no way Telstra would prefer that we all order instore instead of online from a cost perspective.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
12 REPLIES 12
Highlighted
Level 3: Gumshoe

Re: Reasons to still expect a more from Telstra

Hear hear. 

Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

Re: Reasons to still expect more from Telstra

true
Highlighted
Level 4: Private Eye

This is the best summary of this situation I have read.

I don't think they really have any idea of what is going on.

Gerd needs to front up and admit what is going on, and what is being done to rectify things.

Highlighted
Level 9: Captain

My god it's a long list! But oh so accurate! I would like to add one thing to ask.. Why did @Yannick make a point of asking each of those that responded to the 2/10 post what handset they ordered?? Um shouldn't that detail be in the individuals order? Checking perhaps there are no more entry errors - although you would think in this day and age it would flow through from the customer order so no data entry required. Or was the "accidental" mass cancellation larger than we realised and all had to be re-keyed? I still suspect that was a way of making their processing time appear more favourable!

NO CONFIDENCE AT ALL!
Highlighted
Level 6: Bloodhound

!!!!!!!!!
Highlighted
Level 7: Deputy Inspector

Great work compiling that! Well done Jaxom! 

Highlighted

Very good summarization . Shocking treatment from Telstra.
Highlighted
Level 10: Junior Detective

Bumping this up the list to ensure that a moderator puts it in front of someone senior. We must be treated better.

Highlighted
Level 2: Rookie

Well said!
Highlighted

@Jaxom well said
Highlighted
Level 6: Bloodhound

Excellent summary of a shambles that Telstra fail to acknowledge. 

Highlighted
Level 9: Captain

I'm starting to let the lies get to me.... Breathe, count to 10... Anything to calm down!

Not even excited about a new phone anymore!

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit