AlexOnline
Level 2: Rookie

Robotic voice

Hi, if you do a search on these forums for "robot voice" or "robotic voice", people on a Pixel 3A have complained that calls turn into a high pitched robotic voice.

Well I have this problem too, with an iPhone 12 Pro Max, and honestly, it's very annoying. I need to go to a FaceTime audio call to get around the problem. I have made recording of this phenomenon, so I can 100% prove it happens, and I'm really started to get sick and tired of it. 

Can someone please contact me ASAP so Telstra can solve this totally unacceptable problem once and for all? I'm logged in so I'm guessing you have my contact details, and if not, I am more than happy to provide them, and recordings etc.

One forum post that talks about this is:

https://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/network-roaming/robotic-voice/td-p/914642

Thank you

Alex

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
16 REPLIES 16
Dowser
Level 21: Augmented

Re: Robotic voice

Does it occur at a particular location or time?.

You could try using your SIM card in another phone when you experience the issue to see if the fault is caused by your phone.

With this information, and your current experience, you could contact Telstra Support for assistance.

iPat91
Support Team
Support Team

Hey @AlexOnline, does this happen all the time or only during certain times of the day? Do you find that it only happens in one location?

If you haven't already done so, do a network setting reset just to refresh the network on your handset: Settings > General > Reset > Reset Network Settings. If the issue is still happening after this, I'd recommend testing the SIM card in another phone to help identify if it's a network issue or a handset fault.

Once you've done this and you're still getting the "high pitched robotic" voice, have a chat with our Tech Support team for assistance with some further troubleshooting.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

AlexOnline

Hi iPat91

It can happen anywhere in Canberra that I am in, although mostly it's at home, but it has happened when driving, when on 4G, when on 5G. The fact it has happened to other people here using Pixels would seem to indicate it's a network fault rather than a SIM or iPhone fault. I have gone from eSIMs to regular SIMs and back several times for various reasons, so I've definitely had several SIM changes, so it's unlikely to be the SIM. I also never use WI-Fi calling, I always turn that OFF. I have just done the network reset, which I hate doing as you have to enter in Wi-Fi passwords and the like again, but I've done it. If it is a handset fault, well, I'll soon be swapping this over for an iPhone 13 via the Telstra program to return your old phone and start paying for a new one. Anyway my guess is that it's something on the Telstra network, but I guess we'll see. Network reset now performed, I'll keep you up to date on what's going on. Thank you very much for replying! 🙂

Med2
Level 1: Cadet

Hi Alex, did you hear back from Telstra regarding this? Me and 3 other friends have experienced the same problem. All using iPhones 12 but I don’t think it’s due to the handset

AlexOnline

No, Telstra’s replies haven’t been helpful. I tried the advice to reset network settings, but it still happens. I now have an iPhone 13 Pro Max, and whether I’ve switched to the 4G network or the 5G network, is still randomly happens, mostly only with one other caller that I regularly call, so it may well be that other person on an iPhone 8 Plus in Melbourne, but it has also happened with two other callers - again, randomly, anywhere. 

Telstra - the robotic voice is REAL. Can we please get some technicians onto the problem and FIX THIS multi-year, multi-phone, Android and iOS issue. 

I pay a PREMIUM for Telstra service and it’s honest NOT GOOD ENOUGH that

you aren’t taking this issue extremely SERIOUSLY. 

thank you. 

consto88

I have just upgraded to an iphone 13 pro from an iphone 11 pro and am getting this issue and is so annoying, especially for business calls. Same SIM swapped between phones, never got it on the 11. It only seems to be in 5G areas for me that it seems to happen, and the iphone 11 didn't have 5G so I'm thinking its something to do with that.

I agree with Alex, Telstra you need to take this VERY SERIOUSLY as it is not good enough not being able to hear clients on the other end of a call. 

Dowser

(a) What is your VoLTE Setting?

Look in Settings > Mobile data > Mobile Data Options > Voice & Data

(b) What is your APN set to?.

Look in Settings > Mobile data > Mobile data network

(c) What version Carrier settings are you using?.

Look in Settings > General > About > Network Provider

When you check this you might be prompted to update the settings, if so select yes.

AlexOnline

(a) What is your VoLTE Setting?

Look in Settings > Mobile data > Mobile Data Options > Voice & Data

a) on my iPhone 13 Pro Max; it says cellular, not mobile data. Under cellular data options, it has data roaming, which is off. Voice & Data is set to 5G auto. Data more is set to Allow More Data on 5G 

(b) What is your APN set to?.

Look in Settings > Mobile data > Mobile data network

b) the Cellular data network APN is telstra.internet

(c) What version Carrier settings are you using?.

Look in Settings > General > About > Network Provider

When you check this you might be prompted to update the settings, if so select yes.

c) there is no entry called “network provider”, just network, which is Telstra #LetsVax

tapping every single entry on that page has no effect, except name which lets you change the Me, and software version, which flips between software version and build number. 

the problem has manifested itself for me since the iPhone 12 Pro Max

everything in the settings you describe is usually left at default settings, although sometimes I go to 4G only, but the robot voice happens on either network. 

asking me to run though these sort of checks is fine, I’ll do it all day long, but it is beyond obvious this is a Telstra network problem, and it needs the engineers to investigate it and solve it permanently once and for all. 

I’m not the only person this is happening to, and hopes that the iPhone 13 Pro Max would fix the problem have been utterly dashed - it is a NETWORK problem and Telstra needs to take it seriously and fix this permanently. 

Thanks. 

Dowser

The fact that your Settings are using the term “cellular” indicates that the region is not set correctly.  I tested this on an iPhone 13 Pro Max (by toggling the region between Australia & USA).

I suggest that you attend a Telstra store and compare all of your settings to those on a working iPhone 13 Pro Max.

AlexOnline

iPhone region was always set to Australia

iphone language now changed from English US to English Australia, it now says “mobile”.

the language your phone is set to should have zero bearing on how your phone connects to the network. 

what if I am American and WANT US English on my Australian iPhone?

I’m not American but I’ll never in a million years believe a setting to US English is what is causing the problem, that would be utterly ludicrous and a major scandal of epic proportions that would see Apple and Telstra laughed at to the ends of the earth. 

When the next robotic problem inevitably occurs I’ll write here again. Also in Canberra no Telstra store will be open until at least the 29th of October due to ongoing lockdown provisions

If you have other suggestions in tbe meantime, I’ll happily try them, but given this has occurred across the iPhone 12 and 13, and someone’s Google Pixel (just search for the error) - I still think there is some bug on the network that needs to be investigated and fixed. 

Cheers and thanks

Alex

AlexOnline

And i also meant to add that if it is still happening I will gladly go to the Telstra store when it opens locally at the end of the month so they can check the settings, but I will also gladly try any other suggestions you or anyone else has to fix it 🙂

Cheers

Alex

Jupiter
Level 25: The Singularity
Level 25: The Singularity

It's odd that your APN is set to telstra.internet (which is the setting that is usually used for mobile broadband devices).

Maybe try setting the APN to telstra.iph (iPhone friendly settings) or telstra.wap (Telstra standard settings) to see if that helps.

"Robotic voice" is normally be caused by an error in the transcoding of the audio signal to digital, and can be caused by processing issues on the handset or network and typically persists for the duration of a call. Soft resetting the phone should fix the issue if it is a handset issue (a temporary fix if it is caused by a hardware or firmware fault). If multiple people using the same tower experience the same problem at similar times, then it would tend to indicate a network issue.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Dowser

My iPhone X uses the Telstra APN telstra.internet (by default)

AlexOnline

Hi Dowser

Thank you for the extra info, I've changed it to telstra.iph, will advise if there's any difference with future phone calls. 

With all the iPhones I've owned, I can't remember ever needing to change the APN settings - they've always been set by the system, and over the past several years, I've always migrated my iPhone from the old one to the new one, so presumably telstra.internet has been there for many years, without issue. 

Anyway I have made the change and we'll see what happens!

Cheers and many thanks

Alex

Amanda86H

Hi Alex,

did changing the APN help? I’ve had this problem since upgrading to the iPhone 12 earlier this year and it drives me crazy. I am running 2 sims. My personal phone with a physical sim and my work phone on an esim. It only happens on my work line and generally only when I call someone also on the Telstra network (colleagues) it’s seriously frustrating!!!

looking forward to hearing if this helped you

AlexOnline

It seems to happen most when I talk to one person, and I haven’t spoken to that person as regularly as I have before. 

however when I have spoken to them recently, there were still some calls where I heard the robotic voice, but it was very short. 

So… it isn’t fixed yet but it has reduced. 

not sure why this isn’t a red alert super urgent priority for Telstra. When your phone produces robotic sounds when reproducing the voice of people you’re taking to, and there are complaints about it, it’s obviously happening to a lot of people who aren’t bothering to report it, but are silently frustrated by it. 

I try to get around by it by using FaceTime Audio. But I make a lot of calls and I’ve only ever heard it with one or two other calls. 

So it’s selective. And obviously not as wide raging a problem or there really would be hell to pay. 

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit