imschris
Level 2: Rookie

SIM cards

Answered

I already have a normal size SIM card, that I use on my Samsung Galaxy II, and it is a Telstra SIM.

Also, since my plan is due to expire shortly, I am contemplating taking on an iPhone 4s, also from Telstra.

The problem is that the iPhone uses a micro sim card.

It is a problem, because I want to be able to use either phone, as I see fit.

Is it possible to have two SIM cards with the same phone number, that is retain my present card, and also have a new micro sim card for my iPhone so that I can use either phone.

If not, would an adapter be the answer(do they work?).

4 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Renee
Support Team
Support Team
Accepted Solution

Re: SIM cards

Heya Chris,

I'm confident that whilst having two SIM cards simultaneously working with the one number would be amazing, it is not yet possible. 😞

Specifically in regard to a MicroSIM and standard SIM.

You'd have better luck with a phone that uses the same size SIM as your Samsung Galaxy II ... pretty much anything but an iPhone... Smiley Indifferent 

Sorry I couldn't help you further, but your idea regarding having your number assigned to more than one SIM at a time is quite a nifty idea and will definitely forward this idea on for further consideration.

Thanks heaps for taking the time to ask the forum, I'm keen to see what everyone else has to say about this idea. 😉

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

View solution in original post

Drat
Level 22: Superhuman
Accepted Solution

imschris wrote:

Is it possible to have two SIM cards with the same phone number, that is retain my present card, and also have a new micro sim card for my iPhone so that I can use either phone.

Technically, yes, as far as I'm aware – by cloning the SIM. Commercially, it is not offered as an option. Legally, it is not allowed in certain countries altogether, so you should check the local regulations if you're contemplating a DIY ‘solution’.

Yes, they work. If you have a functional requirement that you can simply switch on whichever of the two handsets and have it work without any manual intervention, then it is not the answer. If you simply want the ability to use either handset as you see fit, and are prepared to fiddle with removing and inserting SIM cards and adapters on each occasion when you want to change handsets, then it is a solution.

——
Departed from CrowdSupport as of 12 June 2013, when the fun factor for me had finally completely evaporated with all the recent site layout and functionality changes, and the apparent efforts to turn a community goodwill-powered vehicle into something closer to a customer service channel.

The opinions and sentiments expressed above are mine only, and do not necessarily reflect Telstra's views or position. I work at Telstra, but my participation here is strictly in a personal capacity as a fellow Australian telecommunications services consumer, and you can safely assume you are not my customer, client, patron, benefactor or friend when I post in this forum.

jokiin
Level 21: Augmented
Accepted Solution

adapter is the simplest solution, the Micro SIM just slots in, no hassle at all, I've been using the adapters since the iPhone 4 came out without an issue, you can buy them online for a few dollars delivered or some retails keep them now also
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Statistically, three out of five people are not the other two

imschris
Accepted Solution

Thanks for your comment. I really can't see why this shouldn't be possible but then who knows.

The reason I chose to go iPhone this time, and hence the micro SIM query, is that I have already tried most of the latest Android phones such as Samsung Galaxy SII(my current phone) HTC EVO 3D, Nokia E7, HTC HD etc, so the only other option for something different was the iPhone.

I have already ordered a SIM adapter, so that I can swap between the Galxy and 4s, as the mood takes me.

Thanks again

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
16 REPLIES 16
Renee
Support Team
Support Team
Accepted Solution

Heya Chris,

I'm confident that whilst having two SIM cards simultaneously working with the one number would be amazing, it is not yet possible. 😞

Specifically in regard to a MicroSIM and standard SIM.

You'd have better luck with a phone that uses the same size SIM as your Samsung Galaxy II ... pretty much anything but an iPhone... Smiley Indifferent 

Sorry I couldn't help you further, but your idea regarding having your number assigned to more than one SIM at a time is quite a nifty idea and will definitely forward this idea on for further consideration.

Thanks heaps for taking the time to ask the forum, I'm keen to see what everyone else has to say about this idea. 😉

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

Drat
Accepted Solution

imschris wrote:

Technically, yes, as far as I'm aware – by cloning the SIM. Commercially, it is not offered as an option. Legally, it is not allowed in certain countries altogether, so you should check the local regulations if you're contemplating a DIY ‘solution’.

Yes, they work. If you have a functional requirement that you can simply switch on whichever of the two handsets and have it work without any manual intervention, then it is not the answer. If you simply want the ability to use either handset as you see fit, and are prepared to fiddle with removing and inserting SIM cards and adapters on each occasion when you want to change handsets, then it is a solution.

——
Departed from CrowdSupport as of 12 June 2013, when the fun factor for me had finally completely evaporated with all the recent site layout and functionality changes, and the apparent efforts to turn a community goodwill-powered vehicle into something closer to a customer service channel.

The opinions and sentiments expressed above are mine only, and do not necessarily reflect Telstra's views or position. I work at Telstra, but my participation here is strictly in a personal capacity as a fellow Australian telecommunications services consumer, and you can safely assume you are not my customer, client, patron, benefactor or friend when I post in this forum.

jokiin
Level 21: Augmented
Accepted Solution

adapter is the simplest solution, the Micro SIM just slots in, no hassle at all, I've been using the adapters since the iPhone 4 came out without an issue, you can buy them online for a few dollars delivered or some retails keep them now also
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Statistically, three out of five people are not the other two

imschris
Accepted Solution

Thanks for your comment. I really can't see why this shouldn't be possible but then who knows.

The reason I chose to go iPhone this time, and hence the micro SIM query, is that I have already tried most of the latest Android phones such as Samsung Galaxy SII(my current phone) HTC EVO 3D, Nokia E7, HTC HD etc, so the only other option for something different was the iPhone.

I have already ordered a SIM adapter, so that I can swap between the Galxy and 4s, as the mood takes me.

Thanks again

Daeth

Is there any reason why i can't just trim down my old sim for my iphone 4s? (Other than the inevitable - but you could damage the sim) I have practised on a few old sim cards with a stanley knife and i must say it looks the part and fits... Is there anything different between the two sims that may damage my Iphone?

CSUser337
Level 1: Cadet

Hi, I am wanting to swap my phone for someone elses iPhone but the thing is the Sim Cards are different sizes and we both want to keep our Plans. We also want to keep contacts, pictures, messages etc. Is there a way to swap all of the data and the Plan onto one anothers Sim Cards? We want the iphone's Sim cards data on the regular normal Sim Card. Is there a way to do this?

Drat

Maddi_Telstra wrote:

Is there a way to swap all of the data and the Plan onto one anothers Sim Cards? We want the iphone's Sim cards data on the regular normal Sim Card. Is there a way to do this?

Not one that would be readily available to the average consumer or mobile phone user.

——

JW

Up sizing Micro SIM to regular SIM

I have an iPhone 4S SIM card that I want to put in a regular SIM slot - is this possible?

I purchased a Citroen C5 which has a GSM Car phone and was told I can get a second sim with the same number as my first to just put in the Car SIM slot.  Is this possible?

If I had a regular SIM card it would be reasonably easy (but still annoying) to swap the SIM between the phone and the Car .  Are there any C5 drivers out there who have overcome this problem?

KrayzeeKev
Level 17: Bureau Chief

Re: Up sizing Micro SIM to regular SIM

@JW wrote:

I have an iPhone 4S SIM card that I want to put in a regular SIM slot - is this possible?

Yep, there are converters available everywhere. Try one of those corner shops that sell all manner of phone accessories, they may have them. Or just search the 'net or ebay for "SIM Converter". I bought 100 for $18 but mostly you get 1 or 2 or between $2 & $5.

--
Kevin
[ I am a Telstra Employee however my posts here are done in a personal capacity.]
Flamer

I want to know the same thing...  I have just found the ridiculously old phone which fits in the slot in my car, and would like to have that phone ring when I recieve a call on my regular phone when I'm in the car.

Can we get a SIM for the car phone with the same number?  Or is it a case of getting a new number and transferring calls?

Mitcho1989
Level 11: Detective

@Flamer wrote:

I want to know the same thing...  I have just found the ridiculously old phone which fits in the slot in my car, and would like to have that phone ring when I recieve a call on my regular phone when I'm in the car.

Can we get a SIM for the car phone with the same number?  Or is it a case of getting a new number and transferring calls?

Nope, currently it's not possible to have your phone number on more than 1 sim card at a time. If you get a new sim and assign your number to that one, your existing sim will stop working.

si17

Dear Renee

Has there been any further developments in this regard. It would be really useful.

Thanks

DanK
Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

While this may be available in future, there are no plans I am aware of at this stage, the option of having the same number on two services is not available.

We did, and I will again today, pass on feedback for you.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

OldJim

" I'm confident that whilst having two SIM cards simultaneously working with the one number would be amazing, it is not yet possible."

I would definitely like to be able to use an old, small 'phone for work and a larger smart phone for after work. I don't care if both phones ring at the same time. I don't mind having to 'switch on' the one i have in my pocket if it has to be done that way. If that were the case i expect 'phone manufacturers would enable auto 'switch on' when it detected movement. Maybe a patent for Telstra to enable multiple sims?

Jim R

SYDude

I have exactly the same setup OldJim. I wonder if there's some workaround with a prepaid SIM or something.
DeltaSquad
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

@OldJim @SYDude

This is actually a limitation of the technology, as the SIM Cards are registered with an IMSI (International Mobile Subscriber Identity) and it's not possible to register this with 2 SIM Cards, or multiple phone numbers.

A work around for using a SIM in devices that require 2 different sizes is to get a "Multi Fit" SIM and keep the small stencil that the SIM Card pops out of. It's pretty easy to lose though.
This way you can easily adjust the size of the SIM, though we do recommend that the SIM remain in one device.

Swapping the SIM continuously does increase the likelihood of damage to the SIM or the device it's being inserted into. Not to mention adding dirt and other grime inside the device too.

- Matt

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit