JimBo972
Level 1: Cadet

“telstra-modem” PC/Server found on MacBook Network tab

First off, I just want to say that I am with Telstra so I’m fairly confident my modem has something to do with it.

I was browsing Finder on my MacBook and clicked on the Network sidebar tab and found an icon of a PC that said “telstra-modem” (which I don’t recall ever seeing before) on my network. I clicked on it by accident and it went on to say “Connecting...” and “Connection Failed” half a second to a second later. Freaking out, I right clicked and clicked on “Get Info”, but the only thing it said that the kind of device it was was a PC. In the tip right corner, there was a button that said “Connect as...”, and out of curiosity, I clicked it. It popped up with a small window giving me the option to log in as a registered user or guest, but this time called “telstra-modem” a server

I’m just a bit confused and not sure what to make of this. Did I do something I wasn’t supposed to? What was my MacBook trying to connect to but failed? Why did it come up as a PC and then as a server? 

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
7 REPLIES 7
Jupiter
Level 25: The Singularity

Re: “telstra-modem” PC/Server found on MacBook Network tab

I've never heard of a Telstra modem being referred to "telstra-modem" by any computer. It would come up as something like Telstra4AEF5 (ie the actual name of the modem) unless you've changed it.

I would be changing my wifi password and checking the computer for any malware.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
cf4

There is nothing to worry about. telstra-modem is the name of the mass storage server of the Telstra modem and allows access to USB devices connected to the USB port on the modem. The server is classed as PC.

Jupiter

That goes to show how long ago its been since I've used USB as a storage medium.

Strange that it doesn't show up on my Mother-in-laws computer (just rdp'd to check) as she's just been upgraded to an LH1000. Is it supposed to show up by default, or only if you've used the USB port on the modem?

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
cf4

The Mass storage server is turned on by default and should appear under network in file explorer. but will not appear in Windows File explorer unless network is set up as a private network with network discovery turned on.

Jupiter

I might have to have a play around with it. Her computer has it set up as a private network and network discovery is on.

cf4

On the LH1000 SMB1.0 is enabled by default. You might also have to enable SMB1.0 on the PC or enable SMB 2 on the LH1000.

Jupiter

Good point. I might enable SMB2.0 on the modem. I don't know why they haven't enabled it by default in the firmware. SMB1.0 shouldn't be used unless you absolutely have to (old hardware).

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit