Level 1: Cadet

Telstra moved our mobile services without notification from BYOD $49 to Mobile Plan Small ($55)

What is going on Telstra? After trying to contact you and getting nowhere with the messaging assistance (2 hours of frustration with Gladys as I had to continually re-sign in) I am still at a loss to understand how you can just move my services to a more expensive plan without any notification or compensation. I have been on the BYOD $49 plan for many years and suddenly I have 2 services on on Mobile Plan Small ($55)....and I'm supposed to be happy because there is more data?? Well I never use all the data anyway so that seems a nonsense reason to effect a change. According to Gladys we were notified in July and August but this is simply not true. No emails or SMSs about this at all. What a terrible experience this is.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
7 REPLIES 7
Level 25: The Singularity

Re: Telstra moved our mobile services without notification from BYOD $49 to Mobile Plan Small ($55)

Telstra are retiring all the old plans and moving all customers onto the closest plan in the current range. They are meant to give you 30 days notice prior to the change.

Is the email address on your account up to date?

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.

Re: Telstra moved our mobile services without notification from BYOD $49 to Mobile Plan Small ($55)

Yep, hasn't changed in 20 years.

Support Team
Support Team

Hey @PeterC27,

As part of our commitment to simplify our products and provide great service, we’re moving customers on old/expired plans to our latest plans. We understand that there is never a good time to make changes and we don't make these decisions lightly. Feedback we received told us that our customers needed more data, so we are making sure our customer's have a greater data allowance with no excess data fees. We know affordability and value is important to our customers, especially in times such as this, and we have worked hard to keep any increases to a minimum. There’s more information including the justification for this move here: https://tel.st/y3fbw

If you're not liking the plan you were offered you can look at some other options here: https://tel.st/2vutm, if you see something that works better for your needs you can change online, just select the plan and follow the prompts. Our mobile plans don't have any lock in contracts which will allow you to move up and down the plans according to your needs as they change.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Same problem, can’t get any sense from robot, keeps telling me to make it simple,Telstra using Covid as excuse why humans can’t answer phones. Have 2 phones on $49 plans now $55 with data increase from 15 to 40. We were happy with 15 and didn’t use 10% of this amount, why do I have to pay more when I don’t need it. You did the same to the internet plan and increased that when I didn’t need the extra data. You need to cater for people who are not the majority as your reason to increase prices by giving them what they don’t need. Will start to look at other options.

In chat, type "Speak to a consultant" and you should be transferred to the queue to chat with a human.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Level 2: Rookie

Same here. I have two mobiles that were on $49 plans and have been changed to $55 plan without my knowledge. I got on to Telstra via the app to chat with Ana who says upgrade was system generated and all fees and charges are correct. WTF!! My bill has increased $22 this month because they have charged me “one month in advance”. My normal bill will increase $12 per month from now on for a service and increased data that I will never use. I am also over 60, no longer working and not old enough for the pension.  Is there no seniors plan that is cheaper? I did not receive any notification regarding changes to my account. Not good enough Telstra. 

There is an eXtra Small plan listed in the Customer terms document. You could ask to change to that, but I believe it is invitation only.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit