benno_007
Level 1: Cadet

Telstra or iPhone issue? Call/SMS/3G dropouts

Hi,

We recently purchased 4 iPhone 5's for our Business, all on Telstra Business plans, and we have had abysmal network connectivity (granted we have FULL bars, doesn't seem to mean much anymore!). We work at Wakerley, just outside Brisbane, so we aren't in a bad coverage area. Just wondering if anyone else has had these problems, and if there is any solution, short of just returning the iPhone or getting a different model phone?

Since upgrading to the iPhone 5's, within the first week, we started noticing problems. Now these are mostly iPhone 5 to iphone 4/4S/5 because almost all our staff have iPhones. There are several types of issues.

Firstly, calls would cut out halfway through, as though you were going through a tunnel. You'd be left talking to no one for a few seconds, before realising the call had been disconnected. We can't call back immediately, because the phone is still engaged. We have to wait about a minute to call back.

Secondly, we have the recurring problem of calling other phones: I call, it normally has a ringtone as though its dialling their phone. I hear nothing at all, but after about 20 seconds, I notice the "call timer" starts, as though the person picked up. I can't hear anything, but they can hear me! It's as though the phone or network was only sending one side of the conversation. I hang up and try again and it works fine.

Thirdly, many phone calls aren't even connecting to us from other people (landline, iPhone, other mobile etc). We receive text messages saying missed calls from so and so, but without a notification on the phone app to say there was a missed call. I got 6 messages today, and no missed call badge on my phone app. We also sometimes don't receive the missed call SMS, and then people email us saying they tried to call but it went to voicemail or said it was engaged.

Fourthly, text messages! Over the last week, I have not received at least 10 text messages that people have said they sent me. 4 of those were from today. I have tried a week with iMessage off, and the rest of the time with it on, and it doesn't make any difference (same with LTE off/on). I can often "trigger" an influx of SMS messages by sending one out. E.G. today, someone sent me 3 text messages in the morning, and I didn't receive any. They told me on Facebook, so I sent them an SMS, and then they replied, and could reply again from there. None of their original SMS came  through though. WHYYYY?????? I cannot fathom why this would work!

Lastly, 3G data network: often just as bad! Our DSL lines at work are often bad, dropping in and out, so I often tether to my iPhone. Before when i had my iPhone 4 (with iOS6), i had NO problems whatsoever (I had infact, been using my iPhone 4's 3G as my primary internet at home for a YEAR, with no problems). As soon as I got my iPhone 5 and started tethering, I noticed that it is starting to drop in and out of normal 3G speeds and really low speeds (like 16kbps, or not even enough to load a webpage).

We have about 18 iPhones at my work, and only people with iPhone 5's are experiencing these problems. We are all on the Telstra network. We have tried turning off/on the phones, doing a soft reset and doing a phone restore, none of which works.

I'm curious to know whether apple airport wifi base stations, and a 3G telstra modem's broadcasting bands and channels could be interfering at all with the iPhone, mixing up signals at all at work, causing some issues? Do you have any thoughts on this?

Knowing whether its Telstra or iPhone or iOS would be a GREAT START! I don't think it can be telstra in all cases, because it's been fine on my iPhone 4. I don't think its iOS, unless its iOS6.1, because I had iOS6 on my iPhone 4 and it was fine, leading me to believe that there are a massive bunch of poorly made iphone 5s out there that either must be failing on and off consistently.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
21 REPLIES 21
Ben_F
Community Alumni (Retired)

Re: Telstra or iPhone issue? Call/SMS/3G dropouts

First suggestion is to make sure all the phones are running the very latest OS (6.0.1 at memory)

If they are, try doing a Reset Network Settings and a Reset All Settings (note: The last one will delete all your preferences, but not your content.)

Failing that, I would work on replacing SIM cards, and if that didn't work someone would need to look at the network.

B.

----------------------------

New Users - Click Here!

Drat
Level 22: Superhuman

Ben_F wrote:

First suggestion is to make sure all the phones are running the very latest OS (6.0.1 at memory)

It's at version 6.0.2 now.

——
Departed from CrowdSupport as of 12 June 2013, when the fun factor for me had finally completely evaporated with all the recent site layout and functionality changes, and the apparent efforts to turn a community goodwill-powered vehicle into something closer to a customer service channel.

The opinions and sentiments expressed above are mine only, and do not necessarily reflect Telstra's views or position. I work at Telstra, but my participation here is strictly in a personal capacity as a fellow Australian telecommunications services consumer, and you can safely assume you are not my customer, client, patron, benefactor or friend when I post in this forum.
Ben_F
Community Alumni (Retired)

@Drat wrote:

@Ben_F wrote:

It's at version 6.0.2 now.

Blink and you missed it?

PS Congrats on your 1700th post 🙂

----------------------------

New Users - Click Here!

mv1995
Level 3: Gumshoe

Hi,

I am experiencing the same sort of problem! I live on the out skirts of a rural town in NSW, and only recently my iPhone 5 has been playing up.

I manage to get two bars of service and at times, I will receive texts that I've missed calls from people. However, I don't get a badge icon on the phone app saying I had a missed call nor do I get a notification nor do I see it ring. If people have called multiple times, the text message for missed calls comes in bulk amounts even they called at different time. I've also had people who I am texting reply back to me, but the message doesn't come through - it gets delayed!

Just recently I thought someone had stopped replying but the notification of a message didn't come through until an hour later - the text said it was sent at 10:55 but I didn't receive it until 11:55 but the notification said "now" and not "10:55" or "1hr" like expected.

It's getting frustrating, and I am clueless on how to fix it! I've reset my network settings countless times and turned the phone on and off! How can you fix this? It's so frustrating!!! Thanks
kvon

Hi

I dont think it is an Iphone problem. I am having the exact same issue on my Sony and some of my friends that are also with Telstra are having these issues with Samsungs.

Despite having full reception my calls keep cutting out halfway through, I get text messages saying I've missed calls when I haven't heard the phone ring and there is no missed call icon and half the time I can't use the internet because it says I do not have a connection.

I am really getting fed up as I have had several important calls where my phone has repeatedly hung up on people and I have had to call them back over and over just to get a few words in before it cuts out again. 

Matt_Telstra
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi,

That certainly isn't a good experience to hear about. I'm going to need to capture some of your details so I can follow up on this for you. I'm going to send you a private message with a form to complete to obtain some of these details. This will help us check your records to see what is going on.

Once we review the form we'll be in touch to follow up.

-Matt W

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

CAI_Miranda

Hi I'm getting the same issue as they are and my phone is a Android Telstra Rush. I only started yesterday for me. I can see messages from the notification bar but when I enter messages that message isn't there. The other end can see my messages but I can't see their's. I can't even see my own. Calling people is OK for me just a few times when I couldn't hear the caller and vica versa. Plz help!
Matt_Telstra
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi CAl_Miranda,

Not good to hear.

Are you still having an issue with this? 

Have you tried powering off the handset and removing/reinserting the SIM?

-Matt W

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

djwmaust

I am having exactly the same issue as mentioned above. iPhone 5S on Telstra. Phone calls drop out, message or missed call notifications not coming through etc. I regularly do a hard reboot on the phone to give it a kick start but it rarely solves the issue. A shop assitant at a Telstra store suggested that it is a fairly common issue and suggested that it might be the internal aerial on the phone itself. I spoke to the Apple store who predictably said it was a Telstra issue.

Matt_Telstra
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi djwmaust,

Have you tried completing a full reset on your handset? Back up via iTunes/iCloud and complete a full reset and see how the handset goes. If it continues to occur then you'll need to take the handset into a Telstra store for further assessment.

-Matt W

bellec92

Hi, I'm having this same issue on my 5s. I went into the store and explained that I was having dropped calls in full reception areas and messages not coming through to my phone, no reception in places where other people had full reception and they told me it's because my phone is a 5s. I have updated it and done multiple hard resets but it's still happening. This has been happening for months and I'm feeling really fed up. Any help would be greatly appreciated

Jon_Telstra
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi Bellec92, 

Have you tried using your sim in another phone to isolate if it's a fault with the device or the simcard?

- Jon

bellec92

Hi Jon,

Yes I did and i still had reception and message issues. 

I went into my local store and they replaced my SIM card because they said they were all network issues which could hopefully be solved with a new SIM card. I'll be monitoring it until Xmas to see if the issues are gone. 

Thank you for your reply,

Belle.

RocketO1

i have the same issues with my iphone 5 on telstra. I get no incoming calls or txt messages but internet works OK (over wireless). I have had both sim and phone replaced and no change.

lately I have noticed the phone displays 3G when it loses its connection to the outside world.

Today I was having a txt conversation with a freind, yet still did not get voice mail messages until I restarted the phone some 4 hrs later.

this is driving me mad. I have spoken to telstra and apple and I am getting no where.

RocketO1

Big_Dan
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi RocketO1, Welcome to CrowdSupport.

Have you been able to replicate the fault by putting the SIM in another handset? This will determine whether it is the service (SIM) or the phone? If you have a friend's Telstra SIM handy, try swapping handsets and see if you can replicate the fault.

This will help both us and Apple determine where the problem might lie.

JT12

Re: Telstra or iPhone issue? Calls and texts NOT received

Same problems with Telstra prepaid plan iPhone 5s. Am not receiving some texts at all, Other texts and incoming calls only received AFTER turning phone off and on. I bought this phone online with Telstra in SEPTEMBER 2016. Sim has been replaced by Telstra shop and all apps checked to be in correct modes! Frustrating bordering on very annoyed.

Big_Dan
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi JT12,

If some SMS are coming through and others aren't, it could be a misalignment with Apple iMessage - is there a pattern to the texts that aren't being received? If they are all from iPhones or Apple devices, I'm prepared to bet this is the problem. If you have recently changed your number you will need update your iMessage and iTunes account settings with the new number.

JT12

Thanks for the reply. Texts and calls don't come through until I restart phone and prior to Sim replacement, some were lost and others, even from Telstra, were delayed up to 48 hours. I have the same phone number. Phone calls that I'm not getting, just notification later, include landlines and a variety of phones. Does being on an older, now obsolete prepaid plan, make a difference? 

Big_Dan
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

It shouldn't JT12, as the network takes care of sending/receiving texts/calls. After a rudimentary check of whether or not you have data, and only then on outgoing usage. It would also be incredibly illegal for us to curtail your service on the basis of your prepaid offer being old.

Only other thing I can suggest, as I did above for RocketO1, would  be to throw the SIM in another phone, or another phone with your SIM, and see if the problem is replicated. This will help determine if it is a handset or network problem.

JT12

Thanks again Big_Dan, I'll try and source someone else's phone tomorrow. Most people I know have 6s or 7s now! 

Big_Dan
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Let us know how you get on JT12.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit