Swamprat96
Level 3: Gumshoe

Telstra's report a blackspot service- is this a joke?

This defies logic. So you're in a mobile blackspot and go to report it to Telstra- and they take you through an automated mobile test servicee that fails- because you're in a blackspot! Thats one way of making sure noone complains. 224 Del Monte Pl, Copacabana NSW 2251 is a terrible blackspot and needs fixing. that whole street is trouble

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
8 REPLIES 8
Dowser
Level 21: Augmented

Re: Telstra's report a blackspot service- is this a joke?

Did you follow the reporting procedure mentioned on the webpage ?

Jupiter
Level 25: The Singularity

In reality, the only way to report a blackspot is to go to https://fix.telstra.com on a computer on a working landline connection.

That location is most likely in a terrain induced shadow, with the buildings reducing reception even further (double story inline with the ridge from street level) as the tower is only 1km away on the ridgeline and not visible from the location in question.

You could also send an email to basestation.enquiries@team.telstra.com and give them the address in question and the location of the tower (189 CAPE THREE POINTS RD KINCUMBER NSW 2251), along with your contact details.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Swamprat96

Really? I can't believe you're asking that. That is the process I'm talking about! If you've got no reception it doesn't work. If you try and report it from somewhere else it tells you to call and spend half your life in hold. A truly silly system

Swamprat96

Thanks for the email address. The fix.telstra site is what I'm trying to tell you about. By definition it's designed to fail. How can you test an area when you've got no signal. As I said it defies logic.

Copacabana has had terrible reception for years on the beach front. It's shadowed from the tower by the terrain and needs another tower. Nothing to do with buildings

Dowser

Thank you for clarifying that you are using that method.

You can provide feedback for Telstra regarding your experience with the reporting process.

Swamprat96

Thanks and I have supplied feedback. Blackspots would be better served with a map service where the address could be marked up. I'm still astonished that the current method still exists- just doesn't make any sense at all.

Swamprat96

So still getting nowhere. How do I report a blackspot area. This is what I got back from the engineers. Seriously- its not just this address- its the whole area at the beach. It needs a tower but getting anyone at telstra to do anything seems impossible

RE: NIECACAIRN-888 Blackspot at Copacabana beach

Inbox

Hi Tony

I have received confirmation from our RF engineer after investigation:

There is no coverage improvement option available. I already implemented the changes which I could from the network side.

Customer is advised to use TMSA for indoor coverage enhancement.

We apologise but unfortunately there's no further options other than to consider an indoor coverage improvement device. 

Jupiter

You would need to speak to the Federal Member of Parliament (Lucy Wicks - Federal Seat of Robertson) to lobby to put the location on the list for funding to eliminate the blackspot.

The location of mobile phone towers is a commercial decision of the carriers. If they do not believe that there is an economic return available to them, then they are not going to install them without Government assistance. Publicly listed companies have an obligation to return a profit for their shareholders (courtesy of Australian Corporations Law), and have to make decisions on that basis.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit