Level 2: Rookie

transfer eSIM using My Telstra app?

Answered

Hi, I have a second line on my iPhone, an eSIM, and I want to transfer it to my new iPhone.  The Telstra help site says:

Can I move my eSIM profile to new device?

Yes, all pre-paid and postpaid services can be moved to a new device using the 'Transfer or restore' feature via the My Telstra app. Alternatively, you can request for a Standard eSIM Card which can be mailed out to you.

Only thing is, I have no idea where to find the 'Transfer or restore' feature they are talking about.  I've looked everywhere. Can anyone point me in the right direction, or is this article out of date?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Accepted Solution

Re: transfer eSIM using My Telstra app?

Solved it! I had the latest app, but I followed the advice anyway in case there was some odd issue.  When I logged back in again the option was there!  Then I realised I had logged in with my @bigpond.net.au address.  I also have another email I used to log in to see my account.  Under the Bigpond account I could see the option, under my other address I couldn't.  I don't know why that matters, but just letting others know that is what fixed my issue.

Thanks Stevo!

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
13 REPLIES 13

Same question here.

I spent like 10 minutes and failed to find the option in the app.

Level 21: Augmented

Hopefully you have the latest version of the My Telstra app..

Open the app, and sign in..

tap on services..

tap on the number with the eSIM..  it should open the Mobile Summary page..

scroll right down to Do More with your Service and the second to last item is Transfer or restore eSIM

I have done this, and it worked..  only issue was the eSIM transferred OK according to the advices received but took ages to actually get activated on the new device - 4 days!, but it was a weekend.

I tried through chat to find help to get it working but they didn't even know about transferring eSIM's or that there was an option in the app to do it..  So, if you are going to do it, follow the instructions closely and be patient..

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict :-) also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
Not with Telstra, just another customer like you!

Thanks Stevo.  I followed your instructions but I don't see that option, so there must be something about my account that doesn't allow the option.  No idea why though, as my account is personal.  Just for completeness, just confirming that I checked on both my new phone and the old phone on the My Telstra app, in case that mattered, but it didn't.

Can't think why you wouldn't see it, even on my none eSIM phones (on the same account) it is there.

What version of the My Telstra app do you have? You might need to uninstall it, then download and reinstall it to get the latest version.

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict :-) also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
Accepted Solution

Solved it! I had the latest app, but I followed the advice anyway in case there was some odd issue.  When I logged back in again the option was there!  Then I realised I had logged in with my @bigpond.net.au address.  I also have another email I used to log in to see my account.  Under the Bigpond account I could see the option, under my other address I couldn't.  I don't know why that matters, but just letting others know that is what fixed my issue.

Thanks Stevo!

View solution in original post

Just to share my way working it out here:

I deleted the app and reinstall it again, then I found the option...

4 days Smiley Surprised

I initiated activation of an esim (received the code this morning) and really hope it’s not going to be that long.

Level 1: Cadet

Try deleting app and reinstall the app, this will sort out of the problem

Telstra seem to be fairly new at eSIM transfers - I have done it twice  first time via Telstra it took 2 weeks, second time I used the app and it was 4 days (but I started it on a Saturday - so only 1 & 1/2 business days)..  I hope it goes quicker for you..

Stevo 52

For me the activation process was:

- activation on web site, web site says "2 to 4 hours needed for activation"

- after 4 hours contacted support via the chat in the app.  Support "understands the problem" and sees that it is "ongoing" and advises to wait, it will surely soon be done.

- after 10 hours contacted support again.  Support "understands the problem" and guarantees that it is just the activation on their side missing.  They advise to wait, it will definitely be done "today".

- The day after, after 30 hours of waiting on activation, contacted support again.  Support "understands the problem" and finds it odd that it was not activated yet.  Then they tell me that I could also get it activated in a Telstra shop.

- 1 hour later in the Telstra shop:  Just delete that esim from your phone.  Here is a new QR code for a new esim and the person in store activated it straight away.

Clearly, the only thing that needs to be done is push 1 button on their side.  Why it does not work when you activate it online, no idea.  Just a broken process if you ask me.

But the good news is that at least in the shop they can help you in the flash of flashes.

That's probably true in an ideal world, but

1. Not everyone can get to a Telstra store

2. The knowledge/skill level of store personnel is variable..

3. The chat robots (muppets) sometimes don't even know what an eSIM is, that it can be transferred from the app or that stores are capable of doing it..

It can be a bit of a lottery Smiley Happy

Stevo 52

Oh, I fully agree with all of that.

I just added the "it works in a store" because I did not know initially and could have waited for days the system ignoring me.  For some it could be a solution Smiley Wink

Same issue for me.  Under "More with your Service"  (there's no 'Do') the transfer option's missing.  I'll just wait till I switch phones I think. With Telstra stuff either works, or it's a world of pain dealing with people who have less of a clue than I do (which isn't saying much)

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit