Anne66
Level 1: Cadet

Unable to activate Telstra One Number for Apple watch

I bought a new Apple Watch SE with GPS + cellular with the understanding that I would be able to use it with my existing Telstra account by activating One Number. It’s been three days now and I am still unable to do so as I receive the error message in the photo below. Phoning the helpline number is useless as you are placed on hold for long periods of time, and the chat function via the app clearly has completely useless people manning it as they have been unable to help me resolve this, or indeed understand what the problem even is. I see this is a fairly common problem on this forum and I cannot understand why Telstra have not identified this and sorted it out. By all accounts, going into the store will be just as big a waste of time and I am reluctant to do so. I have a post paid contract and according to the Telstra website am eligible for One Number. I have also been a Telstra customer for close on 4 years with high monthly bills. Ridiculous that paying customers are treated this way. 
Anyone have any ideas? Telstra could you contact me with someone who knows what is going on?

I have tried unpairing and repairing the watch to no avail. Previous forums have noted that doing a factory reset on your phone solves the problem but this seems a bit dramatic. 

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
9 REPLIES 9
Dowser
Level 17: Bureau Chief

Re: Unable to activate Telstra One Number for Apple watch

In the screenshot you have Wifi turned on. Turn it off, leave Bluetooth on, and try that.

Anne66

Doesn’t make any difference.

Dowser

Maybe it’s not activated.

You can do this in the My Telstra app.

- click on Services - Mobile - Extras - Telstra One Number Activate

Anne66

Yes tried that too- doesn’t work. From what I’ve read you now only need to activate it in the watch app. 

Dowser

Try going into the phone Settings- General - Reset, and select Reset Network Settings

If that fails, then try Reset All Settings (in the same location)

Anne66

Thanks those are good suggestions- have done both and still no luck. I think it’s something Telstra will have to fix from their side. If I can just get through to someone there 😩

Dowser

@Anne66 wrote:

I think it’s something Telstra will have to fix from their side. If I can just get through to someone there 😩

Of course you have your aforementioned ‘drastic’ factory reset up your sleeve (to try?) - then the ball would really be in Telstra’s court.

(Obviously, only perform a factory reset after a full backup to the cloud and/or your pc using the  iTunes app)

Monga

I have solved this problem today for myself after spending hours back and forth with telstra all week. This is what I did....

Unpair watch from mobile

Back up phone

Erase all content and settings on phone

Paired watch and activated one number data plan

Restored phone from back up via icloud

Erased all and keep plan on watch via settings on watch

Paired with phone again and this time the one number stuck.

Dowser

That’s interesting. With that process it makes me wonder if the issue was a Telstra or iPhone one ...

Had you tried any other methods previously (that were not successful) ?.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit