Highlighted
Level 2: Rookie

Unable to send emails when using cellular (3G) data connection

Answered

Hi, I am unable to access wifi at the moment so am using the 3G data connection from my Iphone to access email and internet.  However I cannot send emails from my work email address, can receive them ok (on both Iphone and MacBook). Outgoing mail server is set as smtp.telstrabusiness.com and the error I get is that my email address has been rejected by the server. Have tried changing ports, SSL on/off etc, any advice on what settings I should be using? My Gmail and Yahoo email both work fine.

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Level 21: Augmented
Accepted Solution

Re: Unable to send emails when using cellular (3G) data connection

Have you tried smtp2.vodafone.net.nz ?

http://www.vodafone.co.nz/help/device-support/user-guide/?wm=man:3775,page:ins,ins:837908
Lathania

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted

Hi Viksea,

Welcome to Crowd Support!

While your smtp.telstrabusiness.com mail server is the correct one to have while connected with your Telstra Business WiFi, while connecting via HSDPA you will need to change it to your outgoing phone internet server.

If it's a Telstra phone you can use mail.bigpond.com and this should work.

Outgoing mail server should generally match the internet you're using at the time. For example if it was a Vodafone mobile you'd have to (Give up on having reception) use mail.vodafone.com or something.
Lathania

Community Manager

Great info Lathania,

You should be able to use your mail providers (in this case Telstra Business) SMTP server on other connections as long as it is an authenticated connection, usually via port 587 rather than port 25.

You will find that almost all providers will restrict third party access to port 25 as a spam prevention measure. This means that you will, in most cases, be unable to send emails without using that providers email server.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Highlighted

@DanK wrote:

You should be able to use your mail providers (in this case Telstra Business) SMTP server on other connections as long as it is an authenticated connection, usually via port 587 rather than port 25.

That is of course making the assumption that they're using a TBB domain (As TBB doesn't always have a free pop email) and don't have a third party host Smiley Wink

Lathania

Thankyou.  I am in NZ using a Vodafone NZ phone, I did try putting in a vodafone NZ server address which didn't work but maybe it was the wrong one.  I will try and contact them again but have found their technical support so far pretty poor.

Regards

Vikki

Highlighted
Accepted Solution

Have you tried smtp2.vodafone.net.nz ?

http://www.vodafone.co.nz/help/device-support/user-guide/?wm=man:3775,page:ins,ins:837908
Lathania

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Level 2: Rookie

Yes I did (finally) and that seems to be working.

Many thanks.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit