Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

Unlock an Iphone that was replaced under warranty.

I bought an iphone SE from a Telstra store in 2018.
Locked to the Telstra network.
Replaced under warranty by apple.
Wanted to move my service to Aldi,
Aldi sim will not work in the Iphone SE.
Works in my Iphone 4S.
When i put the sim in the Iphone SE I get a message saying the phone is locked and I need to have it unlocked by the service provider.

"Sim Not Valid - The SIM card that you currently have installed in this iPhone is from a carrier that is not supported under the activation policy that is currently assigned by the activation server. This is not a hardware issue with the iPhone. Please insert another SIM card from a supported carrier or request that this iPhone be unlocked by your carrier. Please contact Apple for more information."
Same thing happens with a Vodafone sim I bought to test it.
I tried the web form and it says the phone is unlocked. I tried calling the help desk, but they just sent me SMS with a link to the unlocking page which says it's unlocked.
I tried the IMEI of the old phone and I get told to call 125 8880, but I assume that's only available on Telstra SIMS.
I can't talk to anyone by calling 132200, but that's what I'm alway told to do.
Called the Pre-Paid team and they said it should be unlocked as all iphones of a certain age were unlocked. they told me to speak to aldi.
Called aldi and they say i need to unlock the phone.
Made an appointment to see someone in store and they told me the unlocking team is not open due to covid19. I just have to wait. They gave me a $2 sim which I thought might at least let me receive calls, but no, I have to activate and pay for a 2nd account while my Aldi account sits idle.
Went to a Telstra partner store and they said that's BS they can still unlock phones, but the partner store isn't able to do it.
Here I am.
Can you please have someone unlock my phone.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
1 REPLY 1
Highlighted
Support Team
Support Team

Re: Unlock an Iphone that was replaced under warranty.

Hello @Micksy

I can advise that all Post-Paid devices are unlocked by default, including any Apple device since the iPhone 5s. But all Pre-Paid devices are network locked. They can be unlocked by following the steps provided here: https://tel.st/3n7ay Smiley Happy

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit