Level 2: Rookie

Unlock iphone 4s

Answered

Can anyone help me unlock my iphone 4s as i would love to use it overseas on my holidays

4 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Level 11: Detective
Accepted Solution

Re: Unlock iphone 4s

This Telstra article explains: http://exchange.telstra.com.au/2010/10/15/telstra-removes-unlock-fee-for-apple-iphone-for-jet-settin...

Basically you have to have your mobile, iPhone serial and IMEI numbers handy, then call 1800 474 663 (1800 iPhone), and tell them you want to unlock your phone. You give them those details and they apply changes on their end. Then next time you connect your phone to iTunes it's supposed to apply an update that unlocks it (back up first in case).

View solution in original post

Level 21: Augmented
Accepted Solution

just keep in mind that the process is not quite that automated, iTunes would only prompt the unlock to process if you either restored the phone or alternatively checked for updates while you had a non Telstra SIM in the phone, I'd recommend doing this and checking it happens before you head off overseas, much easier to sort while you're still here

Given that iOS5 no longer has a reliance on a computer or iTunes it should be possible to do the update over the air, either by resetting the phone (backup to the cloud first if you're not using a computer) or trying an alternate carrier SIM card, probably the preferred method at this stage, not having tried this though I'm not 100% sure of how the phone handles it but put a different SIM in and try I guess, go to Settings/General/Software Update and see if it prompts then

if you give this a go it would be helpful if you could post back with the results as it may help others that want to do the same
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Statistically, three out of five people are not the other two

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)
Accepted Solution

If you are heading oversea and you are a personal customers can now unlock iphones using our new online iPhone unlocking tool. Just go to telstra.com/unlock on your iPhone and follow the steps.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)
Accepted Solution

There's two parts to successfully unlocking your iPhone;

Part 1: Request the unlock from telstra.com/unlock if you are a personal Telstra customer on a plan. Pre-Paid customers should call 125 8887 and business customers should call 132 000.

Be aware that it may take Apple up to 72 hours to complete your unlock request.

Part 2: After 72 hours follow the Apple unlock instructions (http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5014) using your iTunes account to complete the unlock process.

You will need an active internet connection, a USB to connect the iPhone to a computer, the latest version of iTunes, and the Apple unlock link above. If you need further iTunes support you can contact the Apple support team.

See more information about the unlock process here: Unlock your Apple iPhone from Telstra - Post Paid Customers

Please note:

- Online unlocking is only available to customers on a personal Telstra plan whose account has been active for at least 4 months, and has no outstanding bills.

- If less than 4 months, customers should submit an unlock request after this time has elapsed.

- The iPhone must have been purchased from Telstra.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
10 REPLIES 10
Accepted Solution

This Telstra article explains: http://exchange.telstra.com.au/2010/10/15/telstra-removes-unlock-fee-for-apple-iphone-for-jet-settin...

Basically you have to have your mobile, iPhone serial and IMEI numbers handy, then call 1800 474 663 (1800 iPhone), and tell them you want to unlock your phone. You give them those details and they apply changes on their end. Then next time you connect your phone to iTunes it's supposed to apply an update that unlocks it (back up first in case).

Level 2: Rookie

Thanks Mitcho that was helpful

Accepted Solution

just keep in mind that the process is not quite that automated, iTunes would only prompt the unlock to process if you either restored the phone or alternatively checked for updates while you had a non Telstra SIM in the phone, I'd recommend doing this and checking it happens before you head off overseas, much easier to sort while you're still here

Given that iOS5 no longer has a reliance on a computer or iTunes it should be possible to do the update over the air, either by resetting the phone (backup to the cloud first if you're not using a computer) or trying an alternate carrier SIM card, probably the preferred method at this stage, not having tried this though I'm not 100% sure of how the phone handles it but put a different SIM in and try I guess, go to Settings/General/Software Update and see if it prompts then

if you give this a go it would be helpful if you could post back with the results as it may help others that want to do the same
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yeah I've heard that's the case. I'm about to ring and unlock my own one just for the sake of it so I'll post the results.

That would be good
Level 1: Cadet

you can contact the service provdier..........

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

I think it can take up to 72 hours for Apple to make the required update.
Gerd Schenkel
Telstra Digital
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)
Accepted Solution

If you are heading oversea and you are a personal customers can now unlock iphones using our new online iPhone unlocking tool. Just go to telstra.com/unlock on your iPhone and follow the steps.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)
Accepted Solution

There's two parts to successfully unlocking your iPhone;

Part 1: Request the unlock from telstra.com/unlock if you are a personal Telstra customer on a plan. Pre-Paid customers should call 125 8887 and business customers should call 132 000.

Be aware that it may take Apple up to 72 hours to complete your unlock request.

Part 2: After 72 hours follow the Apple unlock instructions (http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5014) using your iTunes account to complete the unlock process.

You will need an active internet connection, a USB to connect the iPhone to a computer, the latest version of iTunes, and the Apple unlock link above. If you need further iTunes support you can contact the Apple support team.

See more information about the unlock process here: Unlock your Apple iPhone from Telstra - Post Paid Customers

Please note:

- Online unlocking is only available to customers on a personal Telstra plan whose account has been active for at least 4 months, and has no outstanding bills.

- If less than 4 months, customers should submit an unlock request after this time has elapsed.

- The iPhone must have been purchased from Telstra.

Level 1: Cadet

Hi

I went through the process of unlocking my iphone 4s on the 17th April and I am still waiting on the email confirmation that this has happened, your site should not say 72 hours when it has been over a week. 

Can somone pls sort this out as I received an email as soon as I did the process telling me I will receive email confirmation within 72 hours and I have heard nothing.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit