Highlighted
Level 20: Director

Unlock network lock on iPhone 6 years out of contract.

Hi all, I should be answering this question, not asking it!!

My neighbour has an iPhone 6 that was a Telstra Post Paid, but "out of contract" some 4-5 years ago. She recently purchased a Beyond SIM, Ported the number to Belong but the attempt to activate came back with the message "Locked to Carrier" (did not see the exact words)

Telstra site says: 

We don’t currently lock Telstra mobiles on a month-to-month plan to our network. If you’re on a month-to-month plan and believe your phone is locked to our network:

• Call 13 22 00 and say ‘unlock handset’.

• Visit your nearest Telstra store.

(but I think they were locked some years ago?)

Of course it is near impossible to get through to 132200.

My thought is that my neighbour should have unlocked while still a Telstra customer, and maybe she could "port back" and go through the unlocking process again?

Any online hints or thoughts?

If I've been of assistance please assist others by marking the post accordingly. Click the "Like" button,
Palpatine has participated in Social Media accreditation through Telstra and has access to some enhanced support and escalation processes. Palpatine is not a Telstra employee and any posts or opinions are entirely his own.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted
Level 23: Superhero
Level 23: Superhero

Re: Unlock network lock on iPhone 6 years out of contract.

Hi Palpatine,

I don't know what's going on with the IPhone 6 not being unlocked.

Your post is not the first one I've seen lately referring to an IPhone 6 being network locked. 

According to the below link IPhone 5 and later Telstra branded shouldn't be locked if it was on a plan.

https://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/Mobiles-Tablets/How-To-Unlock-Apple-iPhone-from-Telstra/ta-p/...

The below link is another customer saying that they have the same problem

https://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/Apple-iPhone/Unlock-iPhone-6/td-p/873792

I am NOT a Telstra employee and never have been. However, I AM a customer who volunteer's my time in the hope to help someone with their question.
To show your appreciation to myself or another member, please click on the LIKE or mark as a SOLUTION for any post that you have found helpful on this forum.
Highlighted
Level 20: Director

Re: Unlock network lock on iPhone 6 years out of contract.

Thanks Smiley3,

I recall that account plans were locked if you had a mobile repayment option as part of your plan, and while you may have paid it all off, nothing was changed unless you "did something" like changed your plan or spoke to somebody. Just a historic leftover I fear.

But your other link had greater detail - I'll study that, but as per the current Telstra advice, there may be no option but to commune with a real person, which is a problem at the moment.

Thanks again

If I've been of assistance please assist others by marking the post accordingly. Click the "Like" button,
Palpatine has participated in Social Media accreditation through Telstra and has access to some enhanced support and escalation processes. Palpatine is not a Telstra employee and any posts or opinions are entirely his own.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit