Level 1: Cadet

Unlocking iphone 4S

Hello there,

I 'successfully' unlocked my telstra iphone 4s before leaving Australia, having received the 'unlocked' email, got a new SIM here in England, and my phone, despite a number of hard and soft resets, keeps saying 'No SIM'.... 

result: no phone, neither can I finda phone number on the web to contact Telstra tech help from overseas, and with Christmas approaching...

Help please..

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
4 REPLIES 4
Level 23: Superhero

Re: Unlocking iphone 4S

Successful? Did you test it with a sim from another provider while in Australia?
Unlocked email? As far as I know the unlock process is done via iTunes. There is where you'd get a successfully unlocked device message.

I can only suggest to buy your self a cheap phone. Maybe others have some better ideas.

Cheers,
Dave

Level 1: Cadet

No I didn't try another SIM before leaving Australia, the old story - pushed for time - no other SIM and thought the email from Telstra confirming it had been unlocked meant just that!

As there is no obvious phone number for enquiries from outside Australia and Apple say that it is Telstra who need to do this I have mailed a friend back home and asked them to contact Telstra for me!!!!  I agree that with hindsight it would have been much easier to have bought another phone, but do find the net access useful... and why should we have to buy more than one phone!

Many thanks though Dave

Level 23: Superhero

Telstra only contact apple to make step to unlock the phone.

https://unlock.telstra.com/ can take a few days for the request to go through. Mind it sounds like it's go through but you just haven't gone through with the unlock process.

I.e. Backup, restore device as new then install backup, there's clearly more steps in there but I can't recall the details.

Sorry I can't do anything more than that.

Cheers,
Dave

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi There

Just saw your post and need to ask, did you complete the second part to unlocking, where the iPhone is connected to iTunes and backed up, then erased and restored again? 

The steps are listed here.

All the best, I hope you get up and running in no time!

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit