LincolnWilliams
Level 2: Rookie

Where is the link for costs of calls on my landline and mobile contracts

Answered
I want to phone Japan. I have both a landline phone and a mobile phone with Telstra. I want to find out which calls to Japan are the less expensive - those I make on the landline? Or those I make on the mobile? I have searched the Telstra website and the MyTelstra app. I cannot find the link that explains what my contracts cover, ie which calls are free and which are charged. For those that are charged, what are the rates for Japan?
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
jhwiz
Level 19: Deputy Director
Accepted Solution

Re: Where is the link for costs of calls on my landline and mobile contracts

Hi there @LincolnWilliams ,

In regards to your home phone, it varies depending on your current plan offering.

If you have International Plus rates included (if you've upgraded your plan within the last couple of years, these rates will most likely apply)

Calls to Japan on International Plus Calling Rates are a flat fee of $0.55 (call connection fee), $0.03 per minute to a Japanese landline or $0.15 to a Japanese mobile.

The standard rates from a home phone are more expensive.

The same $0.55 call connection fee, $0.40 to a Japanese landline and $0.80 to a Japanese mobile.

If your call spend is likely to exceed $15.00 on a monthly basis, you're best to add the international calling pack for $15.00 per month which would give you unlimited calls to Japanese landlines (exlcuding calls to mobiles). 

In regards to calls from your mobile phone, again it depends what your plan offering is, refer to the Critical Information Summary you were provided when you took up your mobile phone plan.

The link for international calling rates for mobiles is here.

The call connection fee is $0.40, to Japanese landlines it is $0.75 per minute, and $1.31 per minute to a Japanese (non roaming) mobile. These rates are significantly more so it's best to add the calling pack for $10.00 per month which gives you unlimited SMS and calls to both landlines and mobiles for Japan and 24 other countries. (This excludes MMS) 

In short, get the $10 pack on your mobile, it's the best value, regretfully nobody here knows what plan you are on, but this is probably the best way to go.

While I am a Telstra employee, I am not an official Telstra representative on CrowdSupport. My opinions are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Telstra.

View solution in original post

LincolnWilliams
Accepted Solution

It is regrettable that I cannot find the information you provided online

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
8 REPLIES 8
jhwiz
Accepted Solution

Hi there @LincolnWilliams ,

In regards to your home phone, it varies depending on your current plan offering.

If you have International Plus rates included (if you've upgraded your plan within the last couple of years, these rates will most likely apply)

Calls to Japan on International Plus Calling Rates are a flat fee of $0.55 (call connection fee), $0.03 per minute to a Japanese landline or $0.15 to a Japanese mobile.

The standard rates from a home phone are more expensive.

The same $0.55 call connection fee, $0.40 to a Japanese landline and $0.80 to a Japanese mobile.

If your call spend is likely to exceed $15.00 on a monthly basis, you're best to add the international calling pack for $15.00 per month which would give you unlimited calls to Japanese landlines (exlcuding calls to mobiles). 

In regards to calls from your mobile phone, again it depends what your plan offering is, refer to the Critical Information Summary you were provided when you took up your mobile phone plan.

The link for international calling rates for mobiles is here.

The call connection fee is $0.40, to Japanese landlines it is $0.75 per minute, and $1.31 per minute to a Japanese (non roaming) mobile. These rates are significantly more so it's best to add the calling pack for $10.00 per month which gives you unlimited SMS and calls to both landlines and mobiles for Japan and 24 other countries. (This excludes MMS) 

In short, get the $10 pack on your mobile, it's the best value, regretfully nobody here knows what plan you are on, but this is probably the best way to go.

While I am a Telstra employee, I am not an official Telstra representative on CrowdSupport. My opinions are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Telstra.

LincolnWilliams

Does the $10 pack apply on a month-by-month basis?

jhwiz

@LincolnWilliams , yes that's correct, it has no minimum term so you could add and remove as needed. 

LincolnWilliams
Accepted Solution

It is regrettable that I cannot find the information you provided online

LincolnWilliams

Is the #$10 per month on a calendar month basis or what, please?

LincolnWilliams

Is the $10 per month on a calendar month basis or what, please?

jhwiz

Yes that's right, $10 per month. More information on the pack is available here, I'd recommend visiting a Telstra store to add it if possible as the wait time on the phone is quite long.

jhwiz

I provided both links in the original post. 

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit