Alanray64
Level 2: Rookie

WiFi Hotspots

I was perusing the Apple Forums and it states that Hotspots are the responsibility of the provider, not sure how true this is however if on the off chance.

Recently my hotspot drops out more often than not when connecting to the iPad. it would work for a bit then just drop out. I have done all the recommended Apple suggestions so don't say reboot the source device, reset network settings etc, 

So I guess I am here to firstly see if the statement that Providers are responsible is true and secondly, if this issue is being experienced by others and there is a solution.

Also if this is the wrong category then apologies in advance.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
9 REPLIES 9
Jupiter
Level 25: The Singularity

Re: WiFi Hotspots

The ability to hotspot form a mobile service is controlled by the carrier (but no carrier in Australia restricts this capability as far as I'm aware, it was mainly a USA thing to churn more money out of customers).

What APN is your phone using? You may find that telstra.iph works more reliably (for some reason recent iOS updates have caused them to work unreliably/not at all on the standard telstra.wap connection and people have been needing to drop back to the old iphone specific APN that was used when iPhones considered themselves "special" and needed non-standard settings).

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Alanray64

I would have to ask first what is APN? Something Network? And again the telstra.iph?

The phone is just something I use to text on, phonecalls and the hotspots. This other stuff is above my paygrade Smiley Happy

Cheers

Jupiter

The APN (Access Point Name) is the connection that the device uses to connect to the network (eg telstra.wap, telstra.internet & telstra.iph). It can be found under the Mobile Networks settings on your phone  (settings should be one of the following depending on model):

• Settings > Cellular > Cellular Data Options > Cellular Network
  • Settings > Mobile Data > Mobile Data Options > Mobile Data Network.
Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Alanray64

I dont see either of those settings? On my iPhone 11 I see the following -

Alanray64

And under Mobile, I just see this -

Jupiter

Try under "Mobile Data Network"

Alanray64

I tried entering my username (assumed it was my bigpond address) and password. I had no option to OK it, or accept it. I did not hit reset settings as I was unsure of what that did.

Jupiter

It doesn't require a Username or Password. Try changing the telstra.internet to telstra.iph

Alanray64

I did that and it populated my bigpond address and the password. It didn’t make any change to the condition. 
I’m home now and I am connected to my home wifi with zero issues. 

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit