cnukcn
Level 1: Cadet

will unlocked iphone 4/4s still work with CDMA network?

I am gonna get iphone 4s but find that apple online unlocked iphone will not work with CDMA whereas contract iphone does.  So I am wondering if the contract iphone will still support CDMA after unlock?  Is it serious necessary to have iphone capable with CDMA even though I occassionally travel around the world and need all 3G function e.g. video call, internet and email etc.?  Ta!!

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
3 REPLIES 3
jokiin
Level 21: Augmented

Re: will unlocked iphone 4/4s still work with CDMA network?

there is only one version of the 4S hardware, no difference between contracted or not, maybe you looked at the specs of the iPhone4 online?
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Statistically, three out of five people are not the other two
wow123
Level 1: Cadet

you can contact the service provider..............

JustinB
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi cnukcn,

Except for one version of the iPhone 4 specifically made for the Verizon network in the US, no iPhone, 4S or previous, is compatible with CDMA networks.  CDMA is largely an oboslete technology now, and as such, iPhones beside the one just mentioned are only compatible with most GSM (2G) and 3G (which is sometimes referred to as UMTS or WCDMA, and possibly where confusion can occur) networks worldwide.

Depending on whether you're unlocking the handset or simply roaming internationally with your local carrier, an iPhone 4S should allow you access to all normal functions while travelling around the world (calling, texting, data etc.).  Hope this helps to clear things up.  🙂

- Justin

Telstra Social Media Team

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit