CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

How can I block 'no caller id' calls from contacting me?

Answered
Over the last couple of days someone has got a hold of my number, and has been calling me with a private number. I want to know if there is a way I can block all calls on my phone that come from a private 'no caller ID' number, and only allow ones that have a caller ID through. I have tried contacting Telstra which they said the most they can do is put me on the do not call register (which doesn't help my situation at all, as the person isn't a telemarketer). Does anyone have any ideas about how to fix my problem?

Thanks.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Level 23: Superhero
Accepted Solution

Re: How can I block 'no caller id' calls from contacting me?

Hi Mark,

There is no way to block a phone number in iOS 7 unless the number is available, that's the first point. Second Telstra and as far as I'm aware no other telcos can offer a service to handle that type of call blocking.

That having been said Maybe you can go about this the other way:

Instead of saying "Who can I block", think about "Who can I allow?"

You could turn on Do Not Disturb, and say "Only allow calls from the following folks to go through."

I know that would be a bit of a pain in the proverbial, but if you gave it a try for a while, the nuisance caller might give the game away.

0701836001400224804.gif

If I have provided an answer, or posed a question that helps or interests you, your KUDOS vote would be appreciated Image and video hosting by TinyPic
If I or anyone has provided a solution, you'll help others if you mark our answer as the Solution The Ghoust Writers: STUDYING ABROAD

NB: I am NOT a Telstra employee, just another customer like you.

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
10 REPLIES 10
Highlighted
Accepted Solution

Hi Mark,

There is no way to block a phone number in iOS 7 unless the number is available, that's the first point. Second Telstra and as far as I'm aware no other telcos can offer a service to handle that type of call blocking.

That having been said Maybe you can go about this the other way:

Instead of saying "Who can I block", think about "Who can I allow?"

You could turn on Do Not Disturb, and say "Only allow calls from the following folks to go through."

I know that would be a bit of a pain in the proverbial, but if you gave it a try for a while, the nuisance caller might give the game away.

0701836001400224804.gif

If I have provided an answer, or posed a question that helps or interests you, your KUDOS vote would be appreciated Image and video hosting by TinyPic
If I or anyone has provided a solution, you'll help others if you mark our answer as the Solution The Ghoust Writers: STUDYING ABROAD

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Thanks for the suggestion. Do Not Disturb doesn't really fix my problem though, I want to receive calls from people who aren't in my contact list.
Highlighted

Well that's disappointing, I had hoped that with how far mobiles have come over recent years that there would have been an option to prevent the abuse of the no caller ID function. There isn't a third party service or app that might be able to help? Or am I just out of luck Smiley Sad
Highlighted

@markpb91 wrote:
Thanks for the suggestion. Do Not Disturb doesn't really fix my problem though, I want to receive calls from people who aren't in my contact list.

I appreciate that Mark, but that's about as close as you could get I'm afraid. Even if you could do it for a couple of days on and off they might get the message.

Sig 2

Highlighted

Hi Mark,  did you resolve this issue?  If so how?

I am sick to death of No Caller ID calls.  I'd be ok if they rang with no ring tone and even get as far as my messagebank if they realy wanted to, as a work-around, but I cannot find a way to do that either...

Cheers,

Tony

Highlighted
Level 2: Rookie

+1 for wanting the ability to block No Caller ID calls. +1 for wanting this because of all the scammers who keep calling.

Highlighted

Hi snoblenet

I replied to your query here:

http://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/Home-Phones-Services/sick-of-scam-callers-would-a-new-silent-p...

Regards

Deanna 

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines
Highlighted
Level 3: Gumshoe

Unfortunately I find that most Government Departments come up as "No Caller ID" when they call to mobile.  I wouldn't really call THEM scammers exactly.

Highlighted

I also have this problem. As I cant block I have turned on Dont Disturb sercurity and only allow those on my favourites list. This seems to have worked.

Highlighted

Hi all if you have a landline answering machine which is relatively recent, they do offer this function in the call blocking function. An example of this is the Panasonic KX-TGF380 series. Blocking affects single numbers, a range of numbers and withheld numbers. It does not tell the caller that it is blocked. Some answering machines do tell the caller the call is blocked. On mobile phones it is more difficult and methods are described elswhere. Hope this helps.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit