Highlighted
Level 2: Rookie

Mobile Phone: Unwanted calls & Texts

Answered

Recently the frequency in which I am receiving politically motivated text and phone calls has increased. Unfortunately, they are all related to local candidates/events based in Queensland. I have never lived in Queensland. I am also not a politically minded person.

Being on the DNCR is ineffectual in this matter as political marketing is classed as a community service and therefore not something the government will ban.

The problem is that because every call and text is about local Queensland politics, it is 100% irrelevant to me as I live in South Australia, therefore it is quite annoying. 

I also receive calls from other Queensland businesses, mostly charities looking for donations. eg QLD police force and fire brigades are the most common. 

Is there any reason I am being targeted by Queenslanders? Is there any way to stop this? 

These calls and texts have been happening randomly over the last few years...but the frequency has increased substantially in the last 6 months.

Thanks in advance for any advice/help.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)
Accepted Solution

Re: Mobile Phone: Unwanted calls & Texts

Hi there @LeeR79

Thanks for reaching out to Crowdsupport.

There are a few possibilities which could be at foot here. First of all, you could have a similar number to someone who has signed up to some movements via a text mailing list, they may have accidentally, or intentionally given an incorrect number, which could have been yours. 

It is technically possible that there had been a different provider who has given an identical number as yours, to one of their customers. Meaning there are duplicate versions of your number circling, however I'd imagine you'd be getting more than just politically minded messages if this was the case.

Finally, unfortunately someone could be just playing a prank.

In any case, you should contact our unwelcome calls team to see if you can have these sorts of communications blocked, or black listed from contacting you. As I imagine this would be rather frustrating.

They can be reached on: 1800805996

- Will

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)
Accepted Solution

Hi there @LeeR79

Thanks for reaching out to Crowdsupport.

There are a few possibilities which could be at foot here. First of all, you could have a similar number to someone who has signed up to some movements via a text mailing list, they may have accidentally, or intentionally given an incorrect number, which could have been yours. 

It is technically possible that there had been a different provider who has given an identical number as yours, to one of their customers. Meaning there are duplicate versions of your number circling, however I'd imagine you'd be getting more than just politically minded messages if this was the case.

Finally, unfortunately someone could be just playing a prank.

In any case, you should contact our unwelcome calls team to see if you can have these sorts of communications blocked, or black listed from contacting you. As I imagine this would be rather frustrating.

They can be reached on: 1800805996

- Will

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Level 2: Rookie

Hi @will935

Thanks for the prompt response. 

I can block any ones that come through with a number attached. Which in turn, just sends them directly to voicemail if they ever try calling from that specific number in the future. As they are 'Robocalls' with automated voice messages, they will leave a voicemail every time. Unfortunately most of the calls come from 'No Caller ID' callers or from text sources that don't have a number attached. I have attached a couple of pics to show what I mean. 

I just did a reverseaustralia.com.au look up (suggested by a friend) on my mobile number and it claims to be registered to someone else in QLD.

Maybe there is a registry out there that actively lists the previous owner of the number.

I guess for now, I will just have to keep deleting text and voicemails. 

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit