Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

My iPhone is only showing SOS only or No service

Answered

I can't call anybody or go on the internet and this has been happening for a few days. 

If anyone could please tell me why this is happening, they would be a great help. 

Thanks. 

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Level 23: Superhero
Accepted Solution

Re: My iPhone is only showing SOS only or No service

Hi Chloe,

Did it just suddenly stop?
Was it after the recent ios update?
Have you turned off your phone, eject your sim then reinserted then turn on the phone?
Have you recently come from another provider?
Is your carrier settings (Settings, Carrier) set to automatic?
Can you see any mobile networks when automatic is switched off?
If you can see telstra, what happens when you select it?

Failing all of that...

After you have created a backup on your computer utilising iTunes...

What happens when you reset your network settings (settings, general, reset, reset network settings.) this will remove any wifi remembered pass keys.

Or the big one... Does restoring your phone to a new state in iTunes solve the issue? (You'd then restore from backup once things seem ok)

The above are only suggestions. I nor telstra be held responsible for any lost of digital information and saved data from things like your apps, messages ect ect..

Cheers,
Dave

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Accepted Solution

Hi Chloe, for this SOS it sounds like you need to do what they call a complete power down.

You say you have your Network Selection on automatic, thats good, now power off the iphone 5 like this;

Hold down both the centre button with the top right power button at the same time for a good 10secs. If a slide to close notice comes up, ignore it.

Once it's powered down, shut down, let it sit for a minute or two, then start up as per usual.

If I have provided an answer, or posed a question that helps or interests you, your KUDOS vote would be appreciated Image and video hosting by TinyPic
If I or anyone has provided a solution, you'll help others if you mark our answer as the Solution The Ghoust Writers: STUDYING ABROAD

NB: I am NOT a Telstra employee, just another customer like you.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
38 REPLIES 38
Highlighted
Accepted Solution

Hi Chloe,

Did it just suddenly stop?
Was it after the recent ios update?
Have you turned off your phone, eject your sim then reinserted then turn on the phone?
Have you recently come from another provider?
Is your carrier settings (Settings, Carrier) set to automatic?
Can you see any mobile networks when automatic is switched off?
If you can see telstra, what happens when you select it?

Failing all of that...

After you have created a backup on your computer utilising iTunes...

What happens when you reset your network settings (settings, general, reset, reset network settings.) this will remove any wifi remembered pass keys.

Or the big one... Does restoring your phone to a new state in iTunes solve the issue? (You'd then restore from backup once things seem ok)

The above are only suggestions. I nor telstra be held responsible for any lost of digital information and saved data from things like your apps, messages ect ect..

Cheers,
Dave

Highlighted

Hi Dave, 

Yes, it did just suddenly stop and no it wasn't after the recent ios update. I have been with telstra for quite a while now, my carrier setting's are on automatic and no i can't if i do turn automatic off. Even when i do have the have one bar for the carrier signal, it doesn't work. 

I restored it and it went straight back to SOS only. 

Thank you for the reply. 

Chloe. 

Highlighted
Accepted Solution

Hi Chloe, for this SOS it sounds like you need to do what they call a complete power down.

You say you have your Network Selection on automatic, thats good, now power off the iphone 5 like this;

Hold down both the centre button with the top right power button at the same time for a good 10secs. If a slide to close notice comes up, ignore it.

Once it's powered down, shut down, let it sit for a minute or two, then start up as per usual.

If I have provided an answer, or posed a question that helps or interests you, your KUDOS vote would be appreciated Image and video hosting by TinyPic
If I or anyone has provided a solution, you'll help others if you mark our answer as the Solution The Ghoust Writers: STUDYING ABROAD

Highlighted

So just need clarification.

You've tried power cycling the phone?

When you turn off Automatic you can't see any carriers at all inc telstra?

Hang about... So it can get one bar?

Have you ever had the screen replaced?
As the fitter may of damaged the antenna?

I was going to say your SIM might of died but after the carrier signal statement I'm scratching my head.

Cheers,
Dave

Highlighted

Yeah, i have, and no i can't see any carriers at all. Yes, it can get one bar, but like i had mentioned before it wasn't very useful and after i tried sending a text, it wouldn't work and it would immediatley go back to 'no service'. I have never had the screen replaced. 

I am thinking of physically going into the Telstra store, as this has been going on for quite a while and i depend quite a lot on my phone (as sad as that is) as i am still only young and need my parents haha. 

Thank you, 

Chloe. 

Highlighted

Hi Jeff, 

That was one of the first things that I had done when my phone started playing up, i left it for a good three hours before i used it again and when i did start it up it immediatley went to 'no service'. 

Thank you,

Chloe. 

Highlighted

Thanks for your reply Chloe,

Sounds like popping into at telstra shop or making an appointment with an apple Genius Bar is you're only option. Please keep us updated Smiley Wink

Cheers,
Dave

Highlighted

More than likely your Sim card might have gone belly up.

Do you have an aquaintence that you could swap sim cards with, eg. try their sim in your device, if it works, you know you need a replacement sim card which would be supplied free from your local Telstra shop.

Highlighted

Hi, Just wondering if you resolved the problem?

I am experiencing the exact same problem. I live in the country, but we are only 10km from a Telstra 4G tower, so we usually have ok reception. The first thing I noticed was the battery going from 100% to %40 in only a few hours. I figured it was the usual crap reception and the phone was just struggling to get reception. It did this for a few days before I started to get SOS only message and could use the phone at all.

I did recently do an update in iTunes to 7.1 software and thought that may be the problem.

When I rang the Telstra support, they immediately suggested that I try my SIM in another phone. Don't have access to another iPhone5. Then they said to go to a Telstra Shop. I'm a 4 hour round trip drive from a Telstra Shop, which they simply could not understand. 

I'm going to try the Power Down method suggested and see if that helps, but I'd love to know if you find a solution.

Highlighted

Another thing to try would be to remove the sim card and just give it a light dusting down with a DRY tissue, CAREFULLY. Sometimes the contacts can become contaminated and can cause issues.

Good luck.

Highlighted

I turned the power off like you send and when it came back on I had three bars

Thank you all for your suggestions
Highlighted

Hi my name is Brenda, I also have the same issue with sos only , I can't make calls or connect to the Internet particularly after the iOS update, what can I do to solve this. Thank you
Highlighted
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi Beckgrae, 

Are you able to reset your network settings for me to see if this assists? 

-Patrice 

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Highlighted

Thank you - well explained and easy to follow! My phone now works fine.

Highlighted

Hello I have been in strife for the past 2 weeks. No one can help me at Telstra I have also spent hours upon hours in the phone to Telstra too.

Basically my iPhone has lost connectivity in my house this has never happened before. It still shows I have 4-5 bars of reception and 3G but in fact if i try to call someone or they try to call me it goes straight to my voice message. If I try to call someone it stays on the call section after a couple of seconds it will say 'call failed' I also can't send or receive text messages or use the web.

I have already:

Reset my network settings
-Changed my sim
- have a brand new phone
-Used another phone to see if it's my currently device.
-Carrier is on automatic if I turn if off it gives me the options of slecting 'Telstra mobile/Optus/Vodaphone'

As soon as I leave the house my service works like clock work. I have never had this issue before I run my own business which means I need a operating phone at all times and can't rely on wifi to send and receive text messages though imessage

Can someone pleaseeeee help me! It's so frustrating I don't know what else to do.

Thanks
Vanessa
Highlighted
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

@Vanessa7,

This is a difficult issue for us in CrowdSupport to troubleshoot as for obvious reasons, we can't request your address or other account information here for privacy.

Can I ask what was advised by the mobile tech team when you spoke to them?

Did you have a reference number from that chat?

- Matt

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

Highlighted

Hi,

So my other htc phone isn't working so I've decided to use an older phone used by my friend who gave it to me a while back. The phone is an iPhone 3GS now the phones in good condition and has never had any issues in its time! But I want to keep my sim so I placed my Aldi mobile sim into the iPhone and it just says sos only! I can't make any calls or texts, the phone had a telstra SIM card in it before but my friend told me that the phone isn't locked to Telstra. What can I do? Thanks 

Highlighted
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi Georgie_Dipps.

If the Iphone 3GS was originally connected to Telstra, unless your friend has requested it be unlocked, the chances are it is still locked to the Telstra Network. 

You can check on this  www.telstra.com.au/unlock 

Or you can also call 132200 and say Unlock after the prompt to be transferred to the Unlocking Team

Kind Regards 

Highlighted
Level 2: Rookie

Hì Dean, I have an iPhone 6 showing No Service or SOS only. I have trìed power down, remove & replace SIM, power down again, upgrade to IOS 10.1 I think it was. Still showing SOS only. This is at home where I have full bars. Any ideas? Quỳnh
Highlighted

Hì Patrice, I have an iPhone 6 showing No Service or SOS only. I have trìed power down, remove & replace SIM, power down again, upgrade to IOS 10.1 I think it was. Still showing SOS only. This is at home where I have full bars. Any ideas? Quỳnh
Highlighted
Support Team
Support Team

Hi Quỳnh, have you checked your postcode on our service status page? Sounds like it could be a broader outage -  http://tel.st/6x6a
- Matthew.

Highlighted

My husband's iPhone 5 on our Telstra family account works perfectly at the same location (side by side)
Highlighted

Do you think Telstra has accidentally clicked on something and cut off her phone number?
Highlighted
Support Team
Support Team

It won't be an outage then. I recommend having a word to our mobile tech support livechat team, over a secure connection here -  http://tel.st/8jgx Please let me know how you get on - Matthew.

Highlighted

Thanks Matthew the SIM works ok in my husband's (older) iPhone 5
Highlighted

My new iPhone 6 seems to be the problem
Highlighted
Support Team
Support Team

Did you manage to chat with our tech support team over livechat? They're very good. - Matthew.

Highlighted

They said to check if my SIM works in my husbands phone. I tried - and it does. Funny thing is I put my SIM back in my phone last night and it didn't work BUT this morning it does work. Would that be an Apple thing or a Telstra thing? I'm happy for now as my phone is now working after 3 days out of action
Highlighted

Our 2 iPhones (on the same account) are sitting side by side. My husbands iPhone 5 is on Telstra 4G and my iPhone 6 is on Telstra 3G. How does that happen?
Highlighted
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi Quynhdave,

That's a strange one - it could be either hardware of service/network related. 

With regards to getting 4G on your iPhone 6, have you checked your network settings and ensure that it's set to 4G?

- Tim 

Highlighted

Hi guys,
Over from Ireland and got a Telstra sim on Friday. All was great til today. Now I just have SOS ONLY.
any help?
I've taken out sim, done complete shut down. Recharged my account etc... Still no coverage.

Thanks

Ais
Highlighted
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi Aissa,

That's not good to hear at all. What area (suburb and postcode) are you currently in or were you when you started seeing this? Is this happening everywhere you go? 

- Tim 

Highlighted
Level 4: Private Eye

Go to Settings> Carrier> then delete your overseas network provider

Highlighted

Hi ive recently bought an iPhone4s from my friend and gotten a Telstra SIM card yesterday and it keeps saying SOS only, I've tried resetting and checking to see if it's locked and it's not. I've read the comments and I've done all of those things but it's still saying SOS only.
Highlighted
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi Clo_17

Are you sure the phone worked when you purchased it? 

Was there credit included with the SIM card when you purchased it? 

Has the SIM card been activated? Mobile Activations

Let us know how you go Smiley Happy 

Highlighted

Yes it was working perfectly. No, no credit was included, yes it's been activated.
Highlighted
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

@Chlo_17 Thanks for confirming.

Have you tested the SIM in another phone to confirm that the issue is SIM or handset related?

Highlighted

Thanks, this solution worked for me.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit