CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
Level 2: Rookie

Texts from ‘unknown’ with strange symbols

I have been receiving random messages from ‘unknown’ with strange symbols. This number also has no information when I click on it.. comes up blank and does not supply me with a number - it is getting extremely annoying. I know I can filter messages from unknown numbers but I do not want to do this. It also does nothing when I click on ‘block this caller’. 

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
56 REPLIES 56
Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

Re: Texts from ‘unknown’ with strange symbols

Same thing is happening to me. 

Highlighted
Level 3: Gumshoe

I am getting the exact same thing happen to me. It is driving me crazy. First message started on the 2 May 2020. You cannot block these messages, please help!

Highlighted

Mine also started then! 

Highlighted

Same thing is happening to me. It’s very frustrating as it’s all hours of the day and night. 

Highlighted

This is also happening to me, at all hours. Driving me nuts. 

Highlighted

This is happening to me too and started on the 2nd of May. I can't get through to Telstra on the phone!

Highlighted

Also having the same issue has anyone found a solution?

Highlighted

Has there been any solution from Telstra on this? It's happening to lots of people now... is this some type of virus?

Highlighted

Nope, nothing! I’ve tried talking to them on chat but that is hopeless - I will try to call them tomorrow! 

Highlighted

I have tried calling Telstra and I cannot get through - very frustrating!!

Highlighted

I’m having the exact same issue. Spoke to someone at the call centre and they couldn’t resolve the issue at all 

Highlighted

How annoying! What did they say to do about it? 

Highlighted

They suggested I ask on CrowdSupport :/

Highlighted

Lol... we all have no idea

Highlighted

I anticipate Telstra will have no clue on how to deal with this, where it came from or why we were all lucky enough to have our mobile numbers chosen 🤦🏽‍♂️
I’ve been racking my brain if I downloaded an app on Saturday or signed up for a website / account. Perhaps something we may all have in common? Otherwise it is completely random. FML

Highlighted

When I asked they couldn’t block the number from texting, only calling me. But that’s no help when all it does is text.

Also, it isn’t 1 number every new message was from a new number all based in Egypt so they would have to block each number individually even if they could block texts

i required 

Highlighted

I honestly don’t think I downloaded or signed up for anything. It is strange that we have all started receiving the messages on the same day - maybe it is random? 

Highlighted
Level 20: Director

You could try this:

• click on the top icon with "Unknown" underneath - this will open a second line
  • click on the "info" button at the right of that second line
  • click on the little right arrow on the extreme right of the top "Unknown" line
  • click on Block this Caller
If I've been of assistance please assist others by marking the post accordingly. Click the "Like" button,
Palpatine has participated in Social Media accreditation through Telstra and has access to some enhanced support and escalation processes. Palpatine is not a Telstra employee and any posts or opinions are entirely his own.
Highlighted

Thanks for your help but I have already tried that as well. It doesn’t work unfortunately Smiley Sad

Highlighted
Level 23: Superhero
Level 23: Superhero

Did you happen to have an iOS update on that date?

Google IOS 13.4.1 and read forbes.com article.

Apparently IOS 13.4.1 has a major problem with users receiving unusual text messages.

This could be what's causing the problem...just a thought.

You all might want to look at Apple's Community forum, you might find something there regarding your problem. 

I'm a Samsung user so I can't tell you exactly how to find the forum.

I am NOT a Telstra employee and never have been. However, I AM a customer who volunteer's my time in the hope to help someone with their question.
To show your appreciation to myself or another member, please click on the LIKE or mark as a SOLUTION for any post that you have found helpful on this forum.
Highlighted

I’m getting these too. Started 2nd May. Contacted Telstra twice and no solution. Very annoying. Can’t block it either.

Highlighted

Here is the link to Apple Support on the 13.4.1 issues.

https://discussions.apple.com/search?q=13.4.1%20problems&page=1&content=filterDiscussions&time=week

Seems like lots of issues but Can't see anything re unusual Texts, however the general consensus is to delay an upgrade to 13.4.1

If I've been of assistance please assist others by marking the post accordingly. Click the "Like" button,
Palpatine has participated in Social Media accreditation through Telstra and has access to some enhanced support and escalation processes. Palpatine is not a Telstra employee and any posts or opinions are entirely his own.
Highlighted

I have not yet updated to 13.4.1 but I’m still receiving the messages. I think it’s just a coincidence that the messages started around the same time as the update came out

Highlighted

I am the same, my phone is running 13.3.1 and I am still getting the messages.

Highlighted

thanks - so it seems not to be related to 13.4

Highlighted

thanks Daniel, yes it does seem that the unusual messages are not related to 13.4.

But 13.4 appears to have a few issues, so I suggest that you turn OFF Auto updates until the problems a solved and another update comes out. One of the warring issues is high data use (ie giga bits) from "Uninstalled Apps". (See my link in an earlier post on this issue)

Highlighted

How is everyone going with the these messages? I have not had one since this time yesterday 🤞🏽

Highlighted

Just curious, has anyone with these messages been researching sites or studying molecular biology? (Trying to invent your own covid19 cure)

reason being that the lines of text are not unlike formulas used in molecular biology?

Highlighted

I certainly haven’t been looking up molecular biology. I reckon I’ll leave that to the experts!

Highlighted

I don’t want to jinx it but neither have I! 👏🏼

Highlighted

Haha I have definitely not! 

Highlighted

I got 3 overnight! They are back! 

Highlighted

Me too 🤦🏽‍♂️

Highlighted

I got 5 overnight staying at 11:30pm. I contacted Telstra via the Facebook PM and got told to block the number to which I told her you can’t then told to just ignore them. 🤦‍♀️ 

Highlighted

I received more messages from 11pm to about 3 am then also so I received a text from my bank, I have cancelled my card and requested a new one if you guys have had any trouble I suggest you do the same!

Highlighted
Level 25: The Singularity

I hope you didn't click on the link in the SMS as that is not your bank. That is a Scam.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Highlighted

Hi Braden, that whole message in the screenshot looks like a scam itself to me. Check it out by talking to the bank. I certainly would not be clicking on that link to be unblocking

Highlighted

It's definitely a scam. The domain is registered through GoDaddy by someone going through an agent in Arizona. It has nothing to do with NAB.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Highlighted

Agree Jupiter - I am a NAB customer and it is not their style, the language is incorrect, and NAB will never ask to click on a link from a message or email

brayden_g if you are still following this thread, IMMEDIATELY try to contact NAB on 132265 or 1300 730213. Which might be difficult, so go to your NAB on-line Banking app or website, reduce your daily limit to zero, make sure you have 2 factor authentication activated. You can also set up a daily email from NAB with your Card balance 

also report the scam here:

https://www.nab.com.au/about-us/security

There are other tips on this page that you need to follow as well.

Highlighted

Can confirm I didn’t click the link! Thank you for letting me know it’s very appreciated I will get onto that now 

Highlighted

I got the same messages ‘from NAB’ today. Deleted straight away. I am so sick of this.

Highlighted

It’s becoming very ridiculous, did you make any online purchases around the same time the texts started appearing?

Highlighted

At this stage I’d do a hard reset on my phone and restore from a backup from pre the first messages - just a thought

?

Highlighted

Highlighted

Maddi065 GoneNuts Beilo 

I may be getting closer!

I have consulted another "brains trust" and the most plausible response is that the texts appear to be a Network Management tool code where the technician has accidentally implemented the code without making it hidden from the public.

There are a few other uses of this code as well.

I have passed the details of my suspicions on to those with contacts in Network Ops so some action may be taken to fix what appears to be a human implementation error.  

Highlighted

Has anyone else begun receiving the messages again? I hadn’t received any since last Thursday but received a lot yesterday and today. Just when I thought it was all over

Highlighted

Yep mine started again yesterday and today also. So frustrating. All hours of the day and night. 

Highlighted

Yes, mine was the same also. Everything went quiet and they have started again. I woke up this morning to 4 messages from ‘Telstra Support’.

Highlighted

I too have been getting these texts.  I have an Iphone 11. 

NEW development: since Thursday 14th May I have also been getting a text from Telstra several times each day:

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit