Highlighted
Level 2: Rookie

Is the "Apple Music by Telstra" really limited to a single device?

Hello everyone:

Maybe I am in denial, but REALLY?? is the Apple Music service offered by Tlestra limited to my iPhone 6??

What about the music in my laptop? what about my iPad? what about this:?:

Screen Shot 2015-08-18 at 7.12.19 pm.png

I still believe that it defeats the main purpose of Apple Music,. maybe I am completely wrong.

Cheers

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
34 REPLIES 34
Highlighted
Level 24: Supreme Being

Re: Is the "Apple Music by Telstra" really limited to a single device?

The offer is only eligible to consumer customers on a plan with an iPhone, however once you have completed the registration and it is linked to your Apple ID, it should allow you to use the account over different devices... but yes, the Telstra promotion is current only for iPhone customers... note it is only one device at a time which can be used to play music under the promotion though, so you could play it on the mac or the iphone but not both at the same time sort thing...

Helpful Links

Internet not working or outage in your area? - Check the Outage page for details and troubleshooting.
Help with an account issue? - LiveChat 24x7 support
View Usage, Bills and more - Check it out on MyAccount

Previously worked with a Telstra Partner however I am not a Telstra Employee, just a fellow customer helping when I can.

Highlighted

Thanks DrQWERTY:

That is what is supposed to happen, but no...  it links to your Apple ID, but it won't let you access the music from any other device (Mac, PC or iPad).

Two different service representatives from the Telstra store have indicated that the service is available ONLY to the iPhone (and that Telstra is a mobile company and doesn't care about your other devices.....!!!!!)

What's more, the man I talked to today insisted that they are offering "Apple Music by Telstra", not "Apple Music", and that it is a different product.

I have tested it with two different setups:

-iPhone 4S / iPad mini / iMac 21.5" Mid 2011 (My wife's setup)

-iPhone 6 / iPad 10" Retina / Macbook Air 11" MId 2011.

You can log in from the iPhone, but when you log in from the iPad (with the same Apple ID) it invites you to the Apple 3 month trial. 

If you tether the iPad to the iPhone data connection you can log in, but the songs will be erased as soon as you try to play them if you are on a different connection.

You can log in with the same Apple ID form iTunes in your computer, and add songs but as soon as you want to start listening it will start erasing the songs from your list and you will get a message saying : "You are no longer suscribed to Apple Music"

It is either buggy as hell, or indeed limited to a single device.

Either way I find it unusable

Cheers

Highlighted

I have seen a couple of people who have had it working on everything but their cellular iPad (likely, I assume because the mobile number is different) but I haven't had a chance to test it myself because it is bugging out and errored out on my account and things I am not using an iPhone. So I am going to err on the side of just buggy. I did have a look and looks like it isn't just Telstra but a couple of the other international partners are having issues with it too. Hopefully it gets fixed pretty quickly.
Helpful Links

Internet not working or outage in your area? - Check the Outage page for details and troubleshooting.

Previously worked with a Telstra Partner however I am not a Telstra Employee, just a fellow customer helping when I can.

Highlighted

Thanks for your reply, a helpful attitude as yours is always appreciated.

I wil concurr on that it is probably just buggy (big time) and that adding Telstra into the equaiton brings in an additional authentication layer that is not working as it should, we hope it gets fixed soon.

I'll trust you, you're a doctor...

Highlighted

they are obviously having bugs. I am using an iPhone 6 and they are telling me I don't have an iPhone so they can't activate it. -.-
Helpful Links

Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

I'm having the exact same issue. Apple music through Telstra works on my iPhone 6. However when logging into my iPad using my exact same Apple ID, it asks me to start a 3 month trial! It seems to only support one device. Looks like I'll be keeping my Spotify subscription.

Highlighted
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi FrankDukes

The AppleMusic Offer is  definitely able to be used on more than one device. If you are still having issues with logging into your Ipad to use the offer, it might pay you to head on over  https://getsupport.apple.com.

Regards 

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Highlighted

Hello Lindy:

Regardless this gets working or not, I would really appreciate of this could be escalated to a notice for the staff in the Telstra stores, as I was advised twice by two different customer support representatives at the Launceston, Tas (Brisbane St. mall) store that this was only suppossed to work on the iPhone it was activated on.

Thanks.

Highlighted

Did you ever get this resolved, I have the same issue - everything works on my iPhone however my iPad with the same AppleID and iOS version doesn't pick up my Telstra subscription.

Highlighted
Support Team
Support Team

Hi Jonosco,

Sorry you're having trouble. Any technical issues can be addressed by the Apple tech support team https://www.apple.com/au/support/music/

Angela 

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

Highlighted
Level 3: Gumshoe

Today I spoke with Telstra about a similar issue. Eventually the rep confirmed there is an issue and they are working on it.

This is NOT an Apple issue. Apple can't link a phone number to an Apple ID as they can't verify your number is enrolled into the deal.
Highlighted

I got tired of fighting and being bounced from Telstra to Apple.....

Not using Apple Music anymore....

Cheers.

Highlighted

It's not an Apple issue - Telstra should own the problem and fix it. Not flick us to Apple. Or admit the lie that your pages say it works on all devices.
Highlighted

Once it is linked into the Apple ID it is an apple issue... Because once it is linked to your Apple ID, it is verified as being connected and all good and they will be billing Telstra to bill you (just at $0 for the 12/24 months). Mine won't link, which is a Telstra issue, my mother has linked but will not work, the Apple Store admitted it was an apple issue but didn't know how to fix it, apparently they are having the same issue in the US and UK
Helpful Links

Highlighted

I haven't contacted Apple yet however I don't appear to have a subscription linked to my Apple ID even though I'm using my Telstra Apple Music subscription successfully on my iPhone.

According to https://support.apple.com/en-au/HT202039 I should be able to see my subscriptions on my Apple ID - but I can't see any. I assume this is why my iPad doesn't work, only my iPhone. It says:

If you don't see a subscription in iTunes and are still being charged, make sure that you're signed in with the correct Apple ID. If so, you might have subscribed directly with the provider and not through iTunes. In this case, please contact the content publisher or app developer directly to cancel your subscription.

I will contact Apple this evening however I fear I will be directed to contact Telstra like everyone else has.

Highlighted

If the Telstra back end isn't talking to the Apple backend properly then the issue is with Telstra (and/or Apple) and they both need to work on at a technical level and not just leave their customers bouncing between the two companies without ever saying there is a problem.
Highlighted

Contacted Apple who confirmed that they could see my Apple Music subscription via Telstra on my Apple ID. 

They said "As you are unable to locate it, please contact the carrier" however after explaining Telstra directed me to them she continued researching and ended up escalating me to an "iTunes Senior Advisor". He said he'll investigate and should have an answer in the next 24 - 48 hours.

I'll let everyone know what they come back with...

Highlighted

Can you confirm that it can only be used on one device at a time to stream music?
Highlighted
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi DJ18

Based on the information received from Apple Music, the offer is only eligible to Customers on a plan with an Iphone, however once you have completed the registration and it is linked to your Apple ID, it should allow you to use the account over different devices.  

Please note, it s only one device at a time that can be used to play music under the promotion though, so you can use it on your Mac or Iphone but not at the same time.

Regards 

Highlighted

I have the same problem and the support people at Telstra have been unable to help me.  Product knowledge is zero.   As a Sonos user who used MOG, i want is a music servcie on my SONOS.  Telstra dont seem to have a clue. Now they are sending us off to apple for support!

Highlighted
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi Andyll, what is the problem that you are having there?

Highlighted

I have similar issue but just to confuse things further Apple Music runs fine on my iPhone 6S and my Mac but not on my iPad.

My Apple ID says Apple Music is expired. Nice if it showed something to reflect Telstras subscription.

Hope a resolution comes out soon.
Highlighted

"Based on the information received from Apple Music, the offer is only eligible to Customers on a plan with an Iphone, however once you have completed the registration and it is linked to your Apple ID, it should allow you to use the account over different devices.  "

That is the issue.

I am on the Telstra iPhone 6S plan with the Apple Music 24 month subscription activated but I'm unable to play Apple Music on my other device (iPad) even though I am signed in with the same Apple ID on the iPad app.

Highlighted

Hi
I am having the same issue not being able to actived Apple Music with Telstra subscription on any thing else other than my iPhone, and I'm also having issues with music I make available for offline use on my iPhone randomly removing it self.. Anyone else having this?
Highlighted
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi All, 

We are experiencing issues with iPad's connecting to Apple Music memberships, and issues with offline music. 

Apple are engaged to resolve both issues and I'm sure they're doing their best to resolve these asap

Highlighted

Hooray! After upgrading to iOS 9.1 my Telstra Apple Music subscription is getting picked up on my iPad. Although I did have to sign out of Apple Music and log back in for it to pick it up.

Highlighted

I spoke too soon... It keeps forgetting that I have an Apple Music subscription after a while - I have to keeping signing out and then back in. Back to Apple I go...

Highlighted

I'm having the same issue. I can access my music from my iphone, but when I access itunes on Macbook (although the same apple ID), it shows that my apple music subscription has expired. 

I contacted Apple support today, I turned on apple music library from itunes settings and it started working, give it a go.

Highlighted

Thanks for your reply. Is yours still OK?

In the last email I got from Apple support they wanted me to completely reset my iPad, at which point I stopped dealing with them. Its not that big of a deal and figured they'll work out the problem at some point and I will get a fix in the next iOS update.

My understanding is that the "Apple Music Subscription" you see in iTunes is referring to the Apple supplied subscription - so if you did a Apple trial it will say that its expired. The Telstra subscription is only visible from the Telstra Account site. In my case I've never had a Apple supplied subscription so mine doesn't say expired, I don't have any subscriptions listed at all. Apple has confirmed that I do have a Telstra supplied subscription on my Applie ID though.

I have turned on the apple library setting however I still have the problem. After it "forgets" it also turns off apple music library. Once I re-sign in to Apple Music and it recognises my subscription I can turn the apple library setting back on and I can see my playlists again - but it all goes again a little while later.

Highlighted

Yes, this is still working for me. Like you say, through my apple account, it shows that the subscription has expired, but I can now use apple music and my existing music library is available.

Highlighted

I also have the exact same issue, I also got sick of being bounced from Telstra to Apple as well. 

@Jonosco wrote:

Thanks for your reply. Is yours still OK?

In the last email I got from Apple support they wanted me to completely reset my iPad, at which point I stopped dealing with them. Its not that big of a deal and figured they'll work out the problem at some point and I will get a fix in the next iOS update.

My understanding is that the "Apple Music Subscription" you see in iTunes is referring to the Apple supplied subscription - so if you did a Apple trial it will say that its expired. The Telstra subscription is only visible from the Telstra Account site. In my case I've never had a Apple supplied subscription so mine doesn't say expired, I don't have any subscriptions listed at all. Apple has confirmed that I do have a Telstra supplied subscription on my Applie ID though.

I have turned on the apple library setting however I still have the problem. After it "forgets" it also turns off apple music library. Once I re-sign in to Apple Music and it recognises my subscription I can turn the apple library setting back on and I can see my playlists again - but it all goes again a little while later.

Highlighted

Since upgrading to iOS 9.3.2 on my iPad, Apple Music is working for me. Finally I can use my Telstra supplied Apple Music subscription on my iPhone and iPad.

Highlighted

Another scam by Telstra. Charges for Apple music which I have not subscribed to or want, Telstra have been charging me $11.99 and then crediting me $7.735 per month on both of my phones. Why I came back to Telstra thinking they had changed was so wrong. I have had to unsubscribed to something I never subscribed to. Be careful with this mob, very careful.

Highlighted
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi Johnpan1949, 

It's a  part of the service when joining and sorry you were not aware of this offer. You may want to check the Telstra TV app under My Offers for these details. 

My Telstra

Activate Apple Music and get data free streaming with the My Telstra app.

Find out more