Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

$2 Paper Bill Charge

Firstly no I haven't changed anything in regards Telstra products last was new mobile in May 2012.

Can someone explain why since Dec.2013 Telstra now charges me the $2 fee.

Tried 3 times by phone last time they said they would email copy letter supposedly sent in Sept 2013 informing of charge.

You guessed it no email!!

Went to Telstra shop they tried couldn't find letter they called someone else who did? find it and would email it to me.

You guessed it again no email!!!!!!

If Telstra twice can't send an email about charge how could I trust them to send me an email bill and actually get it !!!!!!

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
13 REPLIES 13
Highlighted
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Re: $2 Paper Bill Charge

Hey steamer52,

Firstly, welcome to CrowdSupport. Please stick around and offer any expertise you have in the range of topics we have here, in our Community.

steamer52, the Paper Bill and/or Non-Electronic Payment Fee of $2 has been introduced since 29th of March 2011 and applies to all plans below:

This small fee ($2 including GST per bill cycle) are charged to customers on certain plans who don’t choose paperless bills and use electronic payment methods.

Customers on those plans who do choose paperless bills and pay electronically won’t be charged the fee. You mentioned you've taken a new mobile service on May 2012 which means your mobile plan would be in one of the above plans where the fee applies. You would have the My Offer Summary sent out when you received your handset or when you've signed up for the mobile service. You can find copies of these summaries here. Thanks steamer 52.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Highlighted

why cant I change my account info to get a paper bill? I have tried and it just doesnt save

I currently dont have the internet at home so i need a paper bill as well as online

Highlighted
Support Team
Support Team

HI mazz3

I am sorry if your My Account setting isn't saving yourn changes, we can change you to paper billing here: http://tel.st/8qpr 24x7  Smiley Happy 

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

Highlighted
Level 2: Rookie

Ask Telstra for an Excemption, they can put this in im a senior telstra gave me an excemption

just call and say you want an excemption

Highlighted

I think it is outrageous to have this $2 paper bill fee imposed. I have never had it before. This is the first time I have seen this on my bill. Presumably it is because I have stupidly committed to a Foxtel-Telstra bundle for the next 24 months. Was there some fine print which supposedly advised me of this rip-off fee? Telstra makes huge profits - how is this fee justified??? Netflix or Stan is looking more and more attractive!!

Highlighted
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi Artslet1.

I certainly appreciate your feedback in regards to this. To answer your question, yes this charge is mentioned in the Critical Information Summary of your service: https://www.telstra.com.au/help/critical-information-summaries/personal

Cheers.

Highlighted

Hi Moderator,

So what's the rationale for the different treatment with my new arrangement with Telstra/Foxtel, compared with the broadband bundle which I previously had, where no "paper bill fee" was charged. 

Where is the difference for Telstra in processing the two types of bills, such that one attracts a fee and the other doesn't?

A money grabbing opportunity, pure and simple!?

Telstra must have a cost structure that takes into account many factors, so why single out the provision of a paper bill for some services for special treatment?

Will you start charging just for the preparation of the bill in the first place - what are customers actually getting for the money they pay? I also note that there is a fee for customers who pay in cash at Post Office.

It is true what you say about the "critical information summary", but being the trusting soul that I am, I didn't pick up this little gem at the time, naively expecting the billing cost to be the same as I had always experienced, over decades of dealing with Telstra. For me a paper bill is preferable to one delivered on-line, as it is too easy for the latter to be missed amongst other online traffic. 

ONE MORE thing - how do I get rid of the $4 charge for "FIrst T400 Rented Phone"  which has appeared on my bill for years? I don't any longer use a rented T400 phone - I use my own phone purchased for its better capabilities suited to my hearing disability. 

Thanks.

Highlighted
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hey Artslet1,

Welcome to Crowd Support Smiley Happy

This initiative was introduced for us to do our part for the environment and have the reduction in the paper being used for these invoices each month. It may be that old bundle that you were on with us was not included in this initiative and was only in effect once the change was completed to one of the new bundle offers. I don't have any specifics on the pricing for us to have a paper bill generated over an electronic one that I can have provided to you. Once staff costing and other factors are taken into place then this fee would cover that cost.

There is only the one fee that will be applicable as this is an paperless billing and electronic payment initiative that is in place and advised of in the terms and conditions for your plan. More details on the fees that are applicable for your Telstra services please follow:

http://goo.gl/hOy0IF

To have the current fee for this phone rental removed I would recommend having this completed with my colleagues in Live Chat. They have a secure chat window that will allow you to have the changes completed in real time and they can be reached 24/7 via: 

http://goo.gl/ck5VwT

Highlighted

Hi Moderator,

Initially I was skeptical of your reference to environmental concerns being behind the $2 paper bill fee. Then I accessed Telstra’s Environmental Policy and the 2014 Sustainability report which details the actions being taken by Telstra to reduce the company’s environmental impact. Assuming the data in the report has been subject to credible audit, the results are quite impressive. Regarding just Billing Paper, for the 2014 FY the reduction is shown as being from 1,699 tonnes to 1443 tonnes, or 15%. This is a good news story. Now that I have this info, I am much more sympathetic to the idea of reducing paper bills. 

It would be to Telstra’s advantage to publicise these facts as the reason behind the fee, rather than just demand it for a paper bill without explanation.

Cheers.

Highlighted

Hey at least you dont get charged twice for the same Foxtel service!! Count yourself lucky. I have been fighting for 5 months to get my bill fixed with no avail. They just give me a crdeit but then its wrong again the next month.

Highlighted
Support Team
Support Team

Hi Stevie, if this is an ongoing billing issue you can have a dedicated case manager assigned to investigate and sort the problem out via the channels at https://goo.gl/bgxoFk

Highlighted

Dear Telstra,

When I changed by mobile phone out of our business account, into residential, so that I could have a cheaper plan for my mobile, you never told me anything about how it would attract a charge for paper bill.  

I do not like receiving my bills by email, as it is too easy to lose them and besides which, I need paper copies for audit and filing purposes, required by my accountant.  Yes, even though it is a residential mobile plan as opposed to business, I still have certain calls that are business related on the phone,and therefore I must comply with substantiation rules, which for me, means hard copy of bills in file.  

Altogether we have a land line, a fax duet line, 2 mobiles and an ADSL broadband with Telstra.  
We pay you a living fortune every month, and you can't even send me a paper bill without charging for the privilege??  I am pretty disgusted by this.

Further, you changed me to email billing without even asking me whether I wanted to or not.  And then when I asked you to change it back to paper billing again, you did..... but WITHOUT telling me first there would be a charge for it!  Don't you think it would have been decent to ask me whether I KNEW there would be a charge if I wanted to retain paper billing?

So thanks for nothing Telstra, I am asking you to review this paper billing charge.  You make exorbitant profits every year - which you seem to think we should humbly believe is your god-given right - and then you can't even pay postage on an envelope?  As to the environment, I recycle all my paper waste, so don't put it back on me that my bill ends up in landfill causing a big problem, because it does not.

Highlighted
Support Team
Support Team

Heya Deb2,

I apologise that you were not advised of the $2 paper bill charge when changing your services from Business to Residential.

Appreciating you do not wish to pay for the fee to receive a paper bill and understanding that you do also require paper bills so that you can audit and file for business purposes, it might be worth knowing that you can access your bills via My Account.

If you would like to discuss the charge further, of course, you are more than welcome to have a chat with our 24x7 Live Chat Team.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit