Level 3: Gumshoe

Account Fraud

Answered

I have had an account with Telstra for a number of years, both mobile and cable.

Telstra have accepted an on-line application from a person unknown to set up a new mobile service with handset. They have then delivered this service to an address they cannot provide me with because it would breach confidentiality.

Telstra have then billed me for the "contracted" service.

I lodged a complaint with Telstra on the day I received the bill, and was subsequently told I would need to provide 3 forms of photo ID, a couple of utility bills, and a statutory declaration.

Apparently all that person provided was my name and date of birth. These are obviously very simple records publically available.

I am most unwilling to provide this information to an organisation that allows itself to be scammed and has such poor internal controls. Further, they Telstra seem to be seeking to enforce a contract against me where they obviously have mistaken identity. That they would deliver a hand service to an address on the opposite side of Sydney to a person who obviously did not have photographic ID of me seems somewhat silly.

I have now lodged complaints with the TIO, and commenced civil action for the recovery of the funds that Telstra have charged to my account.

Has anyone else come across this approach?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Accepted Solution

Re: Account Fraud

Update on Outcome

Telstra refused to budge and expected me to provide multiple photo IDs, stat decs etc. 

TIO agreed and to be honest the TIO seems to be fairly useless and toothless.

Commenced action using NCAT.

Problem solved in 24 hours.

Telstra actually had a competent person in Melbourne look at it, realise it was totally there error, and resolve the whole thing, and provide credit for the NCAT costs (about $50)

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
2 REPLIES 2
Level 24: Supreme Being
Level 24: Supreme Being

They do have a fraud team who would have been able to investigate it for you, but if you already lodged it with the TIO then you'd just have to wait it out for them.

It does happen though...

Helpful Links

Internet not working or outage in your area? - Check the Outage page for details and troubleshooting.
Help with an account issue? - LiveChat 24x7 support
View Usage, Bills and more - Check it out on MyAccount

Previously worked with a Telstra Partner however I am not a Telstra Employee, just a fellow customer helping when I can.

Accepted Solution

Update on Outcome

Telstra refused to budge and expected me to provide multiple photo IDs, stat decs etc. 

TIO agreed and to be honest the TIO seems to be fairly useless and toothless.

Commenced action using NCAT.

Problem solved in 24 hours.

Telstra actually had a competent person in Melbourne look at it, realise it was totally there error, and resolve the whole thing, and provide credit for the NCAT costs (about $50)

View solution in original post

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit