WhatonEarth
Level 3: Gumshoe

AirG Minime

Has anyone else had a random charge from AirG Mini me 500c and not been able to find out why? I have tried to go through the support networks Telstra keeps sending me in text and have been disconnected multiple times from the phone line because apparently me paying for something I didn't ask for isn't deemed important?  Is there a way to get the money back  an explanation why I was charged in the first place and a way to make sure it doesn't happen again??

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
47 REPLIES 47
JBnick
Level 1: Cadet

Re: AirG Minime

Hi, I have the same issue with the bill i just received. I have a $5 charge for airG MiniMe 500c. I have been talking to telstra support all day and I'm getting nowhere. I know for a fact I haven't signed up to any chat service.

Have you been able to resolve it for you?

JT273
Level 2: Rookie

Have you received any reply yet on this? Same thing happened to me and I certainly did not sign up for anything. 

@telstra I really hope you either answer you phones, actually have a chat service capable of helping,  or allow people to short pay their bills! Completely unacceptable with everything going on that this is happening. Not like we can go into a store if we are in isolation.

WhatonEarth

Nothing yet, it's frustrating!

WhatonEarth

Nothing yet, and it was such a sneaky charge as well. 

As36

I am having the same problem! Would love to keep tabs and see if you get further than I am getting! Theyve told me i have to contact airG because i mustve downloaded the app, which I know i deffinately didnt! 

JT273

@As36  airG will just send you back to Telstra to get the refund. At least that is what another webpage appeared to reveal.

As Telstra is not responding to any form of communication, I will be short-paying my bill this month in lieu of them actually organising a refund. It doesn't sound as though they actually have a credit team operating at the moment. This would make sense if their base of operations was India (which is in the middle of a 21 day lockdown).

If they attempt to cancel services that would be a PR disaster considering we are asking people to stay home. So hopefully Telstra has also found a heart in this nightmare.

Kellie111

i have just discovered this as well. 

i'll try to get in touch with them but by the look of things, nobody is having much luck.

Kjorg
Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi All 

Thank you for your post, my apologies for any issues you're experiencing. 

Unfortunately no one on CrowdSupport has access to your account to investigate any excess charges on your bill.

You will need to contact 13 22 00, there may currently be some delays as you have noted our call centre's have been impacted due to COVID 19. 

Telstra contact centres are prioritising our customer service calls to ensure critical requests for support are responded to.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Treken

Just been scammed on my latest bill by AirG minime.

never had an account with AirG so I don't have a user name. 

tried to call Telstra support and happy to wait in queue but after the COVID 19 speech I just get bounced out as the call is terminated.

Telstra online chat is not functioning pressing the chat button does nothing

How can Telstra just deduct money from me without conformation?

looks like its Ombudsman time

ryangus

I'll be also submitting 2 complaints to the TIO for both the accounts that were charged.

ryangus

Same thing happened to me, and also couldn't call them.  I've lodged an email complaint at https://say.telstra.com.au/customer/general/forms/Email-Complaint

Treken

took your advice and raised a compliant as well, via the link

also raised a security compliant through telstra for fraudulent activity 

still cant use the billing chat feature or get someone to pick up a phone

Bunyip101

I've also got the same problem, and the same lack of response from Telstra. I reckon someone is taking the opportunity to try and scam money.

Will follow the above response and lodge a complaint, thanks for the tip.

LJW2020

I am experiencing the same issue. I have lodged a written complaint with Telstra. I don't even know what the Air G Minime is. 

slb2

Same issue with me. I hope this gets resolved.

slb2

I just found this link on Reddit if it is helpful to anyone.

https://www.reddit.com/r/australia/comments/fsvywv/telstra_and_airg_scam/

Kellie111

Hi, I tried numerous avenues to get Telstra to scrap this charge off my latest bill, but they wouldnt. I've made a complaint, which has not been followed up (only a few days ago, fair enough). So i took their advice and contacted Air G myself who told me it was not a scam, that an ad for their Mini-Me Videos would have popped up on an App I was using (WordBreaker) and I would have seen the charges and accepted the charges. I disputed it for several reasons:

1) didnt see it, but couldnt rule out 8-year old doing it, and yes i do have WordBreaker; BUT

2) even if 8yo did "accept", what exactly was i getting for my $5 because i hadnt been emailed an access code or password or account or web link or anything. there was no app installed on my phone for it, no web page link to go and access videos, etc. Basically - if i had legitimately subscribed, surely I would have received a communication on how to access what i paid for.

I pointed out Aust consumer law makes it illegal to charge for a service not received.

I also pointed out there are *many* similar complaints to Telstra based on what i'd seen online.

SO - after my 2nd email to them, Air G said they did have an arrangement with Telstra to provide a refund, but rather than expect me to chase Telstra (which is painful at the best of times) they refunded $5AUD directly into my Paypal account. 

This must happen to so many people.

Always check your bills.

ellimyt

Absolutely the same issue. Did not subscribe to this either. This has appeared on the last two of my bills, where the first I made a complaint, and was given a credit for the charge.

I asked that this be blocked on my account (along with all third party charges, as don't tend to use any), and was given the thumbs up that'd been done, but clearly not.

Have cancelled direct debit, and just looking to only pay what I'm using. May change provider, as feel kinda exposed being charged illegitimately. 

Treken

Sent this

Date: Thu, 9 Apr 2020 at 17:06
Subject: Product scam airg minime 500c
To: <support@airg.com>
Your company is deducting money from my Australian TELSTRA mobile account for a product I did not ask for or approve.
You have provided no content nor access confirmation and are taking money for nothing.
Check your records to see who is abusing my credentials
My mobile number is AU XXXXXXXXX, I have no user name because I did not sign up for anything.
Cease deductions immediately and refund my $5,

XXXXXXXXXX

Got this about 3 hours later

Date: Thu, 9 Apr 2020 at 18:55
Subject: CARE-220350 Product scam airg minime 500c
To: XXXXXXXXXX

Iya commented:

Hi XXXXXXXXX,

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. We apologize for the inconvenience this may have caused you. Kindly be advised that your mobile phone number XXXXXXXXXX has been successfully unsubscribed from our services.
Regarding your refund request, please kindly contact Telstra. We have an agreement where they are the one who process refunds.
If you have any other questions or concerns regarding the matter at hand, please feel free to contact us again and we'll be more than happy to assist you further.
Iya
Sincerely, airG Customer Support
Saludos, Servicio al Cliente airG

still waiting for TELSTRA

Treken

Got this from Telstra facebook page

https://say.telstra.com.au/customer/general/forms/Premium-SMS-barring?red=social-care-d868408-facebo...

From Mr Google

Premium SMS is a payment option that lets you receive content and services offered by companies other than Telstra, on your mobile phone or tablet. You agree to pay for it by sending to a number starting with '19'. Premium SMS entertainment services include: casting a vote on TV shows.

Since I did not call a number starting with "19" to get airG minime, this shows me  it was all a scam, but I have shut premium sms down anyway so it will be difficult for telstra to argue in the future I subscribed to anything.

Still can't get through to telstra billing

Idlepoet

Ok, so last month I got charged for this. I don't know what it even is, but I rang, got through and got the $5 charge removed from my account and an assurance it wouldn't happen again. However, this month the charge is there again. I can't get through, but when I pay my bill, I  won't be paying that $5. In my first call I was told I must have selected it by accident...really? When it costs money you must consciously click YES.

WhatonEarth

Just an update: I.lodged a complaint with Telstra and they contacted me yesterday. Was told that the charge would be removed and wouldn't occur again. So bow it's a wait and see if that happens with the next bill or not

Doug05

Add me to the list of people receiving this dodgy charge this month. I have lodged a complaint as well.

I find it amusing though that every way Telstra recommend getting in touch to dispute the charge is not currently not actually possible. If they are happy to send us bills, I expect to be able interact with the company charging the bills...

Jay89632147

I've had this twice now- March and April bills! Got accused for signing up for some subscription service, which is definitely not the case. I've managed to receive a credit both times, but that's not the point. I just want this ridiculous 'MiniMe' thing removed from my bills entirely.

KarenJoy

Yep. Limited service from Telstra. But I bet 8f I wanted to buy something or spend extra money through them they'd be available.

I have cancelled my BPay automatic payment. I'm dicusted that such a large corporation can't organise work from home. This AirG miniMe charge is crap. Let Telstra cop the extra $5. I'm not paying it. 

crash987

this is my second bill that i have had this AirG Mini-me 500c apear on (March bill and April Bill)

just used the live chat for AirG to get my number subscription canceled.

I asked the person how the number was used for the subscription, and got this as a reply

"One of the ways of subscribing is by accessing https://video.mini-me.co/en/ from the browser of the phone. We understand that the owner of the number may be unaware of the charges made. Rest assured that this has been taken cared of."

For anyone else having this odd charge on there bill go to https://support.airg.com/search/?q=Billing then click on the How do I unsubscribe from airG VIP if I'm with (Mobile Carrier Name) then say that it was not what you were looking for. Now just got to call telstra to get that $5 credit on my bill

Kjorg
Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi All

Apologies for any issues getting support for your billing enquiry.

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, we’ve made the decision to pause all late fees and service disconnections from 19 March through 30 April 2020. 

Our team have received your bill query if you have sent us a message in the My Telstra App.
However there is a delay in processing these at the moment, but rest assured you won’t incur a late fee or a service suspension while this is reviewed. 

If you have not yet done so, please send us a message through the My Telstra App, messages are being responded to in order of urgency.

If you have had issues messaging us, please ensure you have updated the 24x7 App to the My Telstra App, as the message/chat function work differently.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Rozza86

I successfully got Telstra to re-emburse me for two months of AirG. I was told to unsubscribe to AirG. I tried to unsubscribe and it came up with "you are not subscribed to any AirG products". Telstra kept trying to tell me I had subscribed or downloaded the app. I got my money back but I'm guessing it'll be on next months bill again. Tried calling AirG but no answer due to covid-19.

RachS2020

Any progress on this one, I have also received this random charge on recent bill. And had my email mailbox deactivated due to apparent non-use 

Treken

Not sure yet, airG stated they have stopped the subscriprion but I will not know that till the next bill.

Just can't get through to Telstra 

Treken

Finally got a call back from Telstra billing, they are going to reissue my bill, minus the the $5 for the airG rubbish. They have confirmed in an email to me that they are blocking all third party access to my account at my request.

Thank you all for providing information from your own attempts to rectify this, it gave me avenues to sort this out.

Welfares

This is obviously still a problem for some people, it popped up on my bill also.

Annoying, but below is my resolution.

1. Unsubscribe directly through Air G chat.  They unsubscribed me no problems and told me what the subscription was for and when it was signed up for when asked.

2. Contacted Telstra through the support chat late in the evening and after some automated responses I got an actual reply at 8.30 the next morning and they credited my account for 2x$5.

Annoying as hell, but resolved reasonably easily in retrospect.

Kls25

Does any one know how or where these charges even came from? I don't do anything exciting with my phone and started getting charges too.

Telstra refusesd to tell me what company the charges are for, so how can we stop them in the future?

katbird

I am having the same issue, I actually went to a store but they told me they do not have anything to do will billings and to go online.
I have tried every mothod I can think of to get in contact with telstra and getting nowhere!

RachS2020

I sent a message through the Get Help section in the My Telstra app. Got a pretty quick response

Welfares

Like RachS2020 above, I contacted Telstra through the support section of the app.  Responded next day (I sent it about 8pm)

Sam528

I have had the same charge for 2 months running. When i try to get help from Telstra i keep getting the run around.

asdafsafd

Same here, tried contacting Telstra thru the MyTelstra app but the agent insist they can't remove the charge as it is a 3rd party purchase. Throughout the whole conversation, he/she has been insisting that it is signed up accidently by me or some one else on my device which just isn't possible. Anyone encountered the same response from the customer rep?

Varghese

Please send an email to - support@airg.com and they will unsubscibe it for you. Thanks

Mia66

Just checked my telstra account and I have the $5 charge dated 21/04/2020.  I will make a complaint and keep track of everything I do to resolve to have the $5 deducted as I too did NOT ask for this. Looks like no-one has been able to resolve with telstra or airG, so I will pay my account minus the $5 charge as long as it takes.  

JohnFitz

I have also found this charge on my bill. Telstra online credit request is down and their messaging service only wants to explain your bill not actually help you.  I have turned off my direct debit and will manual pay my invoice short until they sort it out. 

Treken

Just got this via SMS from Telstra 

We understand you may have subscribed to an on-demand video streaming service from AirG called Mini Me. We aren't supporting this service anymore, so you'll no longer be able to pay for it via your Telstra bill. We also understand that you may have subscribed without being made aware that charges for Mini Me would be billed to your Telstra bill. We've now removed the subscription from your account and will apply a credit to refund all charges billed for this service. This credit will appear as 'Third party transaction charge Refund'. More detail here:

as they swiftly back away from the scam,

still annoys me they recon I subscribed

RachS2020

I received that as well, 2 minutes after complaining to telstra i had another charge. Haha! Hopefully its the end of it either way

JohnFitz

Hey Treken, got the same message this afternoon.  Trying to put the blame on me.  I did actually speak to someone at Telstra but they were from the foxtel team and hung up on me instead of putting me thru to mobile phone people.  Checked on AirG home page and i had no subscriptions.  At least they will credit my account and i can turn the direct debit back on. 

rippedoffonce

Yes, it also happened to me, when I rang Telstra they gave me a phone number,  that number is not answering due to Covid19 ,  I rang Telstra again , they gave me an email address, I sent an email, fingers crossed. This is crazy, Telstra is so unprofessional partnering with this foreign company, it's a bloody rip off.

Annie6511

Here's how to fix it. I just spoke to Telstra because my mum had the same problem. I tried calling the 1800 number but they were experiencing technical difficulties! I have emailed to cancelled mum's so called subscription.

Annie6511

The email address to cancel is

support@airg.com

Quote your "username" and phone number to unsubscribe

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit