BobJones1
Level 1: Cadet

Another lease phone return issue

Hello

My lease ended after Christmas. I went to two telstra stores and was told they couldnt help me return the phone and to contact telstra (what did they think I was doing at a telstra store?).

I received an email today saying I must return the lease phone and linked to the following "help" page: https://www.telstra.com.au/support/mobiles-devices/upgrade-swap-or-trade-in-device.

As I am not upgrading, swapping or trading in, I am not sure this is applicable. Regardless, the page states the following:

No where does it say how to start a return request. I have not received a barcode. My plan makes no mention of barcode or 'use a satchel below' (hint: there is nothing below and the earlier text says satchels aren't used anymore - so which is it?)

Using the telstra app, I asked for a barcode to return my phone. They sent me a 2017 form for generating a return label on the Auspost website, except the link in the form is long since dead.   I forwarded them the above page saying that I would be given a barcode.

Telstra stores wont help, telstra app people don't know the returns process, and Im going to keep getting charged for a worthless phone I am trying to return at their request - so much for "You can return your device in-store, over the phone or online. ".

So does anyone know what to do?

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
8 REPLIES 8
KJS

Re: Another lease phone return issue

I am sure interested in any response you receive as I am about to face the same situation. Seems ridiculous that Testra store won't help when this is explicitly stated as recommended process.

contactchris
Level 5: Eagle Eye

I was able to return a phone instore. A result of a New Phone Feeling upgrade. I did it the week after receiving the new phone in the post. I suggest you take photo evidence of the event at the store to prove that it was done, including a reference number - you must insist. I got an eight-digit number with a CX- prefix.

I could not return a "stay connected" phone return - they sent me in error. Telstra claimed it's a different group or department. Probably an external insurer. They said they could send through their internal mail. Typical dysfunction of Telstra. Again take some photos of this type of return ceremony and get a Post Office Tracking Number. Don't leave anything to chance with Telstra as they will make it all your fault. I had to prove this return 10 weeks later, as it was "lost" in their system. The photos and tracking number stopped their claims of "not received"—case of guilty until proven innocent.

contactchris

They said they could NOT send through their internal mail. - Correction

ProfessorPhone
Level 23: Superhero

Your experience is the very reason that Telstra last week announced they are taking corporate control and ownership of all the Telstra stores back from the various licensees. At the moment, only 67 of the 337 stores are operated by Telstra staff, with varying levels of service,  as the licensees receive none or little compensation for non-sales work. Telstra staffed stores will do non sales processes more readily that licensed stores at present, and your experience illustrates the situation as of today.

"BEING NICE TO OTHERS .. IS NICE"
If I have helped you, a "Like" would be appreciated.

If my advice is a solution, please acknowledge it.

I'm not a Telstra employee.
50 + years exp. in radio comms., eg mobile phones since 1963, two-way radios, base stations, antennas & pagers. Expert in current Telstra Go repeaters & smart antennas.
"Being 76 years of age, entitles one to be an expert at everything!!"
contactchris

Didn't know that - thanks - it explains some of the inconsistancies. One of my first questions with be about - "Telstra or Franchise"?  The answer will help me adjust my approach.

ProfessorPhone
Level 23: Superhero

Thanks, here is a link to one of the announcements, with acknowledgement to News Ltd via the link below

https://www.news.com.au/finance/business/other-industries/telstra-cuts-ties-with-independent-license...

"BEING NICE TO OTHERS .. IS NICE"
If I have helped you, a "Like" would be appreciated.

If my advice is a solution, please acknowledge it.

I'm not a Telstra employee.
50 + years exp. in radio comms., eg mobile phones since 1963, two-way radios, base stations, antennas & pagers. Expert in current Telstra Go repeaters & smart antennas.
"Being 76 years of age, entitles one to be an expert at everything!!"
BobJones1

Raised a complaint with Telstra. No response. Made an appointment at another Telstra shop, turned up, "we dont have an appointment for you". 

Meanwhile, Telstra happily takes 80$ from me month after month whilst telling me I need to return the phone. Which they won't let me. 

Thieving scum. **bleep** Telstra. 

contactchris

Unfortunately you must persist. They are not very sympathetic to the list of reasons why you could not return the phone without evidence. Their systems and processes will govern how they deal with a non-return phone. The best you can do is accumulate any evidence, emails, call reference numbers and appointment confirmations of your attempts. And get the phone back ASAP. Good luck to you.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit