outwest
Level 1: Cadet

Billing Date Change?

Has there been a change to the time required for payment of bills? Previously we have been receiving monthly bills by email with a due date 21 days from the end of the billing period (e.g. 14 June - 13 July was due 3 August). Our latest bill for 14 July - 13 August is due on 31 August, which is now only 18 days. I only just noticed this new different date (usually due early the following month, now it is the same month). There was no notice that I can see of this revised billing date.

Or is this Telstra's way of catching out people like me who have an automatic payment set up 3 days prior to due date to incur a $15 late fee??

Sorry if I seem a little sceptical...

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
7 REPLIES 7
EthanG
Support Team
Support Team

Re: Billing Date Change?

Hi @outwest,

Thanks for reaching out. Can I please confirm if you have made any changes to your account recently?

Please let me know.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines
ForensicsGuru
Level 21: Augmented

Your question got me intrigued (tbh, never looked at that since I am on direct debit) and had a look at my bills for 2018 and got following:

Period EndBill IssuedDue
9/01/201812/01/201830/01/2018
9/02/201812/02/201827/02/2018
9/03/201814/03/20183/04/2018
9/04/201813/04/20181/05/2018
9/05/201815/05/201831/05/2018
9/06/201814/06/201829/06/2018
9/07/201813/07/201830/07/2018
9/08/201812/08/201828/08/2018

So I started playing with numbers and came to the conclusion that it is 12 business days between date the bill has been issued and due date. Why and how they came with this, is mystery but it seems to follow the pattern.

DISCLAIMER: I do not work for Telstra or any other ISP. I never did. I have wealth of practical knowledge in Computer Security and Forensic Computing. I have been in the field since 1985.

Likes (formerly Kudos) and solutions are appreciated!!!
The comments expressed by me reflect my user experience and personal opinion.
outwest

ThankS Ethan G,
No changes since last year.
outwest

Mine was period end 13/8, bill issued 16/8, due on 31/8...doesn't fit your logic. Should be 3/9 which is what I was expecting.
ForensicsGuru

@outwest, I am not arguing with you. It's my guess based on the history of my bills... I have just re-checked my last 8 bills and they have all been 12 WORKING days from the bill issue. With the exception of May, which was 13 days, but perhaps there is public holiday somewhere in Australia in that period we do not have in Tasmania and I don't know which state is Telstra using for this...

You suggested initially 21 calendar days from the end of period - that would not fit for me at all, as the last 8 bills were:  21, 18, 25, 22, 22, 20, 21, 19 days... As you can see only 2 out of 8 were 21 days...

Hopefully, someone with Telstra can come with definitive answer...

The best I could find so far is:

"‘Bill Issued’ simply refers to the date we issued the bill to you. It’s not the end of your monthly billing period, and it’s not the Due Date to pay your bill.

Your Bill Due date is on the first page of your bill. We allow you approximately 14 days from the bill issue date to pay your bill." (https://www.telstra.com.au/support/category/account-billing/understand-bill/understanding-your-month...)

DISCLAIMER: I do not work for Telstra or any other ISP. I never did. I have wealth of practical knowledge in Computer Security and Forensic Computing. I have been in the field since 1985.

ProfessorPhone
Level 23: Superhero

Increasingly bills are being calculated up to 28th of the month... but it can vary.
"BEING NICE TO OTHERS .. IS NICE"
If I have helped you, a "Like" would be appreciated.

If my advice is a solution, please acknowledge it.

I'm not a Telstra employee.
50 + years exp. in radio comms., eg mobile phones since 1963, two-way radios, base stations, antennas & pagers. Expert in current Telstra Go repeaters & smart antennas.
"Being 76 years of age, entitles one to be an expert at everything!!"
ForensicsGuru

@ProfessorPhone wrote:
Increasingly bills are being calculated up to 28th of the month... but it can vary.

Did you read the original post? Did you bother to read my own stats? Your claim doesn't fit anywhere... Are you posting just for a sake of having more posts?

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit