petrawks01
Level 1: Cadet

Blocking of undesirable Callers and SMS

Hi there

My fiancé has a contract with Telstra and she called the company to find out how to block 2 telephone numbers. She has an iPhone 4s and as you are aware there is no real legal method of blocking undesirable calls or Texts. She was told in no uncertain terms that Telstra (being what we believed to be Ausies best) do not have the technology to do this?

In todays market I find this a bit strange, that a massive service provider like Telstra is unable to do something like this?

Or are they able to do it and she simply got a disgruntled employee who was close to tea time?

Any one else have this problem? 

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
11 REPLIES 11
Drat
Level 22: Superhuman

Re: Blocking of undesirable Callers and SMS

Any one else have this problem? 

http://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/General-Mobiles/Caller-number-blocking/m-p/41003

In todays market I find this a bit strange, that a massive service provider like Telstra is unable to do something like this? 

I think you need to make the distinction between (voice and/or digital data) carriage service, and call management services (or, more generally, personal telecommunications management services). Telstra is a massive carriage network service provider, but I don't think there is all that much money to be made from the local consumer market for telecommunications management services, especially on the voice network side.

If the number comes through to your fiancee's handset with caller ID displayed, then she at least has the option of not answering the call, and hence avoiding exposure to undesirable content of the intended voice communication. MessageBank Plus (aka visual voicemail) should allow her to pick and choose which messages to play and which ones to delete without first listening to them, if the caller decides to leave a message.

On the other hand, if the number usually comes through as ‘private’, i.e. with caller ID suppressed, then there is even less reason to expect the carriage service provider to be able to check the caller ID before making the connection, and block calls originating from certain numbers at the recipient's option.

——
Departed from CrowdSupport as of 12 June 2013, when the fun factor for me had finally completely evaporated with all the recent site layout and functionality changes, and the apparent efforts to turn a community goodwill-powered vehicle into something closer to a customer service channel.

The opinions and sentiments expressed above are mine only, and do not necessarily reflect Telstra's views or position. I work at Telstra, but my participation here is strictly in a personal capacity as a fellow Australian telecommunications services consumer, and you can safely assume you are not my customer, client, patron, benefactor or friend when I post in this forum.
Ben_F
Community Alumni (Retired)

Firstly, its not that Telstra, as a Service Provider, doesn't have the techincal capacity to offer such a product (I can do it on our PBX, I'm sure the technology exists). It's that such technology (and its associated processes, systems and people) haven't been packaged into a solution that you, as a consumer, can take advantage of.

So, to be simple - The technology exists, Telstra doesn't offer a product that you are seeking.

You can, however, completely legally, change your Telephone Number, which I am told Telstra will do for a customer affected by unwelcome calls (at least once).

B.

----------------------------

New Users - Click Here!

Steph
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi. 

Whilst we aren't able to block those 2 numbers, we do have other another option available, that I'll discuss in a minute. 

But firstly, could your Fiance use an Android Phone for a few weeks? I know it would be a bit of a hassle, however, if these calls are bothering her to the point she'd like to block them, this might be a concession she would make.

There is a setting in Android Phones under Call, then Call Rejection that can automatically reject calls from those numbers.In addition, you can get Mobile Security that offers the functionality to stop txts from a certain number/s on Android, so she could do both of these and then she wouldn't be hassled. Alternatively, there is the option to only allow calls and messages from Allowed Numbers.

Another option of course would be change her number as Ben mentioned.. We can arrange that for her over the phone in a matter of minutes. Then as long as she doesn't share the number with the people involved (or anyone who'd share the number) then that might solve her problem.

Last we offer a service called Malicious Call Trace. 

Malicious Call Trace is a service that helps Residential and business customers respond to these calls with the help of Telstra and the Police.

It records details about the source of the threatening call, helping Telstra customers identify the offender - using controlled procedures with the help of Telstra and the Police.

Malicious Call Trace also provides evidence for court proceedings, as records can be presented in courts of law.

This is a controlled product. To find out more about Malicious Call Trace, please contact Telstra's National Unwelcome Calls Centre on 1800 805 996 (Mon - Fri, 9am to 5pm, excluding National Public Holidays).

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Drat
Level 22: Superhuman

Steph wrote:

There is a setting in Android Phones under Call, then Call Rejection that can automatically reject calls from those numbers.In addition, you can get Mobile Security that offers the functionality to stop txts from a certain number/s on Android, so she could do both of these and then she wouldn't be hassled. Alternatively, there is the option to only allow calls and messages from Allowed Numbers.

I don't use an iPhone myself, so I haven't tried it, but I understand that iOS 6 has a Do Not Disturb feature. While it would not hide the fact that calls were received from ‘undesirable callers‘, at least the recipient would not be unduly disturbed at an inopportune time, if the feature is set up properly with that aim in mind.

——
Departed from CrowdSupport as of 12 June 2013, when the fun factor for me had finally completely evaporated with all the recent site layout and functionality changes, and the apparent efforts to turn a community goodwill-powered vehicle into something closer to a customer service channel.

The opinions and sentiments expressed above are mine only, and do not necessarily reflect Telstra's views or position. I work at Telstra, but my participation here is strictly in a personal capacity as a fellow Australian telecommunications services consumer, and you can safely assume you are not my customer, client, patron, benefactor or friend when I post in this forum.
paul2
Level 5: Eagle Eye

i had a caller  ring me at first h said i called him and was returning a missed call     tthe scond time i told him  to check the number he  was calling as he had the wrong number      all up he rang me  at least 11 or 12 times   what i did was answer but the put the phone down  when i got home i rang telstra   and put a comp[laint in    i  was able to give the number  nd time  of each call 

i asked what happens  now i was told they would check   and  told he would get a warning to stop calling  and if he did it agign they would take action

Ben_F
Community Alumni (Retired)

@paul2 wrote:

i had a caller  ring me at first h said i called him and was returning a missed call     tthe scond time i told him  to check the number he  was calling as he had the wrong number      all up he rang me  at least 11 or 12 times   what i did was answer but the put the phone down  when i got home i rang telstra   and put a comp[laint in    i  was able to give the number  nd time  of each call 

i asked what happens  now i was told they would check   and  told he would get a warning to stop calling  and if he did it agign they would take action

Correct. Telstra can only follow the industry code, which gives customers 2 warnings then disconnects their service 🙂

B.

----------------------------

New Users - Click Here!

Leejane25

I just phoned to ask for help in getting a nuisance caller blocked. The Telstra employee was very nice, but couldn't help me. He directed me to phone the Do Not Call Register. But that is only for telemarketers. Telstra really need to get on board with a service to help us block callers, particularly if a person is in a domestic violence situation or being stalked. It is unacceptable that this service isn't available.

DEANJA
Level 23: Superhero

What sort or phone do you have?

If I have provided an answer, or posed a question that helps or interests you, your KUDOS vote would be appreciated Image and video hosting by TinyPic
If I or anyone has provided a solution, you'll help others if you mark our answer as the Solution The Ghoust Writers: STUDYING ABROAD

NB: I am NOT a Telstra employee, just another customer like you.
eldee
Level 2: Rookie

We have been receiving unwanted texts but it comes through with just a name not a phone number so no way to block them or ask telstra to do anything.. does anyone know what to do with these
KathleenC
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hello Eldee

Without a number it is very hard I agree to block these type of SMS messages, we have posted some information in regards to these type of contacts you can view the information at the following link, it does include information on how to report these contacts. 

http://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/General-Community-KB/Mobile-and-Home-Phone-scams/ta-p/251309

Telstra has released a Home Phone Handset that can also help customers block calls, if you are experiencing unwanted calls on your home line, well details can be found on our website of the Telstra Call Guardian 301 :  https://www.telstra.com.au/home-phone/handsets

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Tony_au

about 2 years ago there was an option with-in the telstra my account page where you could add numbers to a list that would be blocked. It seems they have removed this now and in my thoughts it should be re-added as if you block it on your device when you upgrade to a new phone you lost your caller block list and new to re-add them to your new device... 
Again Telstra takes a step backwards in customer service...

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit