hk1985
Level 2: Rookie

Cannot cancel existing plan at telstra store because of changes to account

Answered

I'm an existing Telstra customer with 3 numbers.

I went to jb hifi to port a 4th number to telstra (from kogan)... all went smoothly. GREAT service.

I also wanted to upgrade one of my existing plans, and also cancel one of my existing plans while I was at JB. Unfortunately they had just moved to a new system so couldn't help me till later in the day. So, I went to the Telstra store to see if they could help out as i had to go back to work. 

The salesperson at Telstra said I cannot cancel one of my existing numbers because I had just ported a number over to a new plan (completely unrelated numbers or plans)... He then flagged two of his team, and they went behind closed doors obviously discussing my request which made me feel EXTREMELY uncomfortable... he then said sorry he can't help me, and that maybe I can try cancelling it over the phone. IS THIS NORMAL??? He said they only do sales not cancellation and that I have to wait 30 days before coming back to their store to cancel this. 

I then asked about my phone upgrade (3 days away from plan ending with new phone feeling activated) and he said no they can't do it unless they charge $79. 

Overall left feeling extremely annoyed at the way I was treated, and also left a bit puzzled about not being able to go to a Telstra store to get things sorted... 

I have just called telstra complaints and they have advised that no - this shouldn't be the case at all with regards to cancellations, and are investigating further. 

Walked away feeling extremely disappointed and frustrated.  

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
hk1985
Accepted Solution

Re: Cannot cancel existing plan at telstra store because of changes to account

Update - Phone is out of contract and the store is correct in saying there is a fee associated. New phone feeling has nothing to do with this / is a separate feature. 

Update 2 - Was able to get cancellation done over the phone via the complaints number.

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
1 REPLY 1
hk1985
Accepted Solution

Re: Cannot cancel existing plan at telstra store because of changes to account

Update - Phone is out of contract and the store is correct in saying there is a fee associated. New phone feeling has nothing to do with this / is a separate feature. 

Update 2 - Was able to get cancellation done over the phone via the complaints number.

View solution in original post

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit