tt092
Level 1: Cadet

Credit rating Review

I am looking to purchase my first home and after applying for my first big loan, I was told that my credit rating has been affected by something that happened four years ago with a Telstra bill, that I wasn’t aware of, as I had moved home.  I called 132200 (offshore call centre) on 3 separate occasions and their response was “Call us in 5-7 years” -  I don’t think this is ok as the bill was sent to a home I had left months before hand and the Collections agency then didn’t contact me for two years.  I paid straight away. 

Does anyone know what I can do – please don’t say call 132200 - I don’t think this is fair. 

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
3 REPLIES 3
Dowser
Level 21: Augmented
Level 21: Augmented

Re: Credit rating Review

Telstra were the credit provider so you have to contact them if you feel that the debts are incorrectly listed on your credit report. You could send a letter to Telstra Locked Bag 20026, Melbourne VIC 3001

The webpage explains how a credit score is calculated, and how to have it repaired.

tt092
Level 1: Cadet

Im hoping to speak to someone from Telstra to see if we can resolve the issue via email or telephone - but happy to pursue other routes for a resolution.

Thank you for providing that link however i have progressed past the points discussed within.

Jupiter
Level 25: The Singularity
Level 25: The Singularity

You typically won't be able to have it removed from your credit record, but it should be recorded that it had been subsequently paid (and in the case that you are describing, it stays on your credit report for a period of seven years).

If you had notified Telstra of the change in your contact details with regards to that service at the time that you left the premises in question, then you would be able to apply to get it removed as an error. Telstra are not required to "chase you down" to notify you of the debt. They were only required to try and contact you via the contact details you provided.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit