myshka256
Level 2: Rookie

Direct Debit

Answered

Set up direct debit  2 wks ago, still say account not paid, have to pay manually?????

3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Jupiter
Level 25: The Singularity
Accepted Solution

Re: Direct Debit

A couple of things can stop a direct debit from working.

• Your account had an overdue amount when the direct debit was set up. (or one subsequently arises because of a failed direct debit - you would need to pay manually to clear it and the next months should work)
  • Your account was in credit. The credit has to be used up before the direct debit will work (it can only work on the bill amount, it can't work out the difference)
  • The direct debit wasn't set up in time to be processed.
Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.

View solution in original post

Jupiter
Accepted Solution

I would be worried about who has gotten hold of your bank details then. If you hadn't supplied them to Telstra, then some 3rd party has obtained them and set up accounts that you've been paying for. 

You need to get the bank's fraud department involved and get a new account number as well as it could happen again.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.

Jupiter
Accepted Solution

Yes, if you didn't provide your bank details to Telstra, then someone else has provided it to them. That is the real problem here, someone else knows your bank account details and is using them. That is the fault in the direct debit system. As long as somebody knows all the relevant account details, they can set up direct debits to their hearts content as the banks do not check with the customer to make sure that it is legitimate (Telstra has done all that they can in that regards as they don't have access to the contact details that the bank has to positively verify it).

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
8 REPLIES 8
Jupiter
Accepted Solution

A couple of things can stop a direct debit from working.

• Your account had an overdue amount when the direct debit was set up. (or one subsequently arises because of a failed direct debit - you would need to pay manually to clear it and the next months should work)
  • Your account was in credit. The credit has to be used up before the direct debit will work (it can only work on the bill amount, it can't work out the difference)
  • The direct debit wasn't set up in time to be processed.

barbara90

Please confirm with your bank that credit card 💳 online direct debit orders are acceptable. If there is no problem with this, check that your card is active, unblocked, available in time and your balance is sufficient. Good payouts. 

Flower306
Level 1: Cadet

I have had three direct debit amounts come out of my account, for various amounts.  The madness is I did not set up these accounts. It seems some one in Telstra is fleecing us using there name.  The strange thing it is the telstra bank account details that my bank found.  I tried to get them stopped and my money refunded.  I might of just spoke to a brick wall than the help I got online.  The person on the other end just could not understand I did not create this direct debit and money was being stolen from my account.  So check your accounts for new telstra direct debit.  The other thing is I did not give them my bank details as it was a new bank I had just changed over to.  The fight goes on to get back my $186.00

Jupiter
Accepted Solution

I would be worried about who has gotten hold of your bank details then. If you hadn't supplied them to Telstra, then some 3rd party has obtained them and set up accounts that you've been paying for. 

You need to get the bank's fraud department involved and get a new account number as well as it could happen again.

Flower306
Level 1: Cadet

The bank has put a block on this for now.  The problem with this is the bank ran a source check and it was the telstra bank details

Jupiter
Accepted Solution

Yes, if you didn't provide your bank details to Telstra, then someone else has provided it to them. That is the real problem here, someone else knows your bank account details and is using them. That is the fault in the direct debit system. As long as somebody knows all the relevant account details, they can set up direct debits to their hearts content as the banks do not check with the customer to make sure that it is legitimate (Telstra has done all that they can in that regards as they don't have access to the contact details that the bank has to positively verify it).

barbara90

I don't think Telstra will automatically withdraw extra money from your 🏦 bank account or 💳 credit card. Especially for services that you do not use and purchase. this is against the law.

Jupiter

In the case of the OP, it appears that someone has obtained their account details and set up a direct debit. If you have all the details of the account, it is very easy to do, and yes, it's fraud. 

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit