Highlighted
Level 3: Gumshoe

Free browsing eating up my credit but still able to browse with no credit

Answered

I have been to Telstra shop/rang prepaid billing have a fault letter put in no results as yet..Getting charged to browse certain pages on free browsing but not allI can view News/top stories, weather,tribe even post messages for free but trading post ,where is plus others are taking credit 0.01 c sometimes 0,44c even more

Garmin emptied my account $12,40 even after stating it was free for telstra 3g /or nextg customers (I`m not sure which one) so was shocked when the money was gone.Everyone on phone, in shop say it should all be free.

Funny thing when I had no credit was able to browse everywhere for free and have since put more credit on and didn`t get charged with the data usage.

Yesterday the  Telstra Complaints  rang to  help sort it out  We changed APN settings on phone but it has not changed anything

I have Samsung Galaxy 5 prepaid longlife and just want to make the occassional phone call/text and use the free to browse without worrying my credit may all be gone before I know it.Telstra have credited me for lost credit but the problem still prevails

maybe some of the other settings are still not set properly...also have used another sim in same phone with same results...

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Community Alumni (Retired)
Accepted Solution

Re: Free browsing eating up my credit but still able to browse with no credit

@Drat wrote:

I have been to Telstra shop/rang prepaid billing have a fault letter put in no results as yet..Getting charged to browse certain pages on free browsing but not allI can view News/top stories, weather,tribe even post messages for free but trading post ,where is plus others are taking credit 0.01 c sometimes 0,44c even more
The FAQ entry at https://go.telstra.com.au/helpandsupport/-/how-telstra-pre-paid-mobile-broadband-works states: 
NOTE: Post-Paid customers can browse unmetered sites where the green dot  icon is visible - this does not apply to Pre-Paid customers. http://go.bigpond.com/unmetered/

However http://m.bigpond.com/pricing says:

When you see the green dot at the top of the page, if you're a Telstra Next G customer, you won't incur data charges for any content you download from that page.

Below you'll find a list of unmetered sites on the BigPond Mobile portal:

----------------------------

New Users - Click Here!

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
10 REPLIES 10
Highlighted
Level 22: Superhuman

The FAQ entry at https://go.telstra.com.au/helpandsupport/-/how-telstra-pre-paid-mobile-broadband-works states:

NOTE: Post-Paid customers can browse unmetered sites where the green dot  icon is visible - this does not apply to Pre-Paid customers.
——
Departed from CrowdSupport as of 12 June 2013, when the fun factor for me had finally completely evaporated with all the recent site layout and functionality changes, and the apparent efforts to turn a community goodwill-powered vehicle into something closer to a customer service channel.

The opinions and sentiments expressed above are mine only, and do not necessarily reflect Telstra's views or position. I work at Telstra, but my participation here is strictly in a personal capacity as a fellow Australian telecommunications services consumer, and you can safely assume you are not my customer, client, patron, benefactor or friend when I post in this forum.
Highlighted
Community Alumni (Retired)
Accepted Solution

@Drat wrote:

NOTE: Post-Paid customers can browse unmetered sites where the green dot  icon is visible - this does not apply to Pre-Paid customers. http://go.bigpond.com/unmetered/

However http://m.bigpond.com/pricing says:

When you see the green dot at the top of the page, if you're a Telstra Next G customer, you won't incur data charges for any content you download from that page.

Below you'll find a list of unmetered sites on the BigPond Mobile portal:

----------------------------

New Users - Click Here!

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Drat...this website you quoted refers to mobile broadband..I`m talking about 3g free browsing on bigpond homepage the green dot pages as Ben has quoted below your reply.
I have had phonecall after phonecall,talked to telstra shops no one is able to sort it out
Highlighted

SP wrote:
I`m talking about 3g free browsing on bigpond homepage the green dot pages…

Alright then,

SP wrote:

I can view News/top stories, weather,tribe even post messages for free but trading post ,where is plus others are taking credit 0.01 c sometimes 0,44c even more

Garmin emptied my account $12,40 even after stating it was free for telstra 3g /or nextg customers

Did you access Trading Post and WhereIs via the BigPond Portal on your mobile, as opposed to typing in a URL (or using a bookmark) in its browser?

From the page at http://bigpond.com/unmetered/:

On mobile, unmetered sites don’t apply to Telstra 2G customers, International Roaming or content accessed via the internet browser on a mobile instead of via the BigPond portal.

As for Garmin, I frankly don't know anything about it. Did Telstra advise you somewhere that using Garmin is free?

——
Departed from CrowdSupport as of 12 June 2013, when the fun factor for me had finally completely evaporated with all the recent site layout and functionality changes, and the apparent efforts to turn a community goodwill-powered vehicle into something closer to a customer service channel.

The opinions and sentiments expressed above are mine only, and do not necessarily reflect Telstra's views or position. I work at Telstra, but my participation here is strictly in a personal capacity as a fellow Australian telecommunications services consumer, and you can safely assume you are not my customer, client, patron, benefactor or friend when I post in this forum.
Highlighted

Yes I go through Bigpond home page that has been made clear to me from the start of my problem ..I have also converted the disbelievers thatt work at the telstra shop that you can browse for free as my kids do it all the time on theier mobiles also I was able to when I had no credit.

Garmin Navigator is an icon on the mobile which can only be accessed by 3g and available free of charge to telstra customers as I found out while exploring my phone.Next thing I lost all my credit

Highlighted

Highlighted

SP wrote:

Garmin Navigator is an icon on the mobile which can only be accessed by 3g and available free of charge to telstra customers as I found out while exploring my phone.

You're right. I just found this paragraph on the page at http://www.telstra.com.au/mobile-phones/apps-services/#garmin-navigator:

For Telstra customers with compatible Next G® handsets, Garmin Navigator provides free basic navigation, integrated Yellow Pages, and the latest maps updated four times a year. Free features on Garmin Navigator are free of subscriptions, free of data charges on the Next G network, and free of third party advertisements.

——

Highlighted

Have you an android mobile that you access everything on bigpond green dot pages for  free...I get news weather tribe ..too scared to try much else out  I have a feeling some of my phones settings are not right but find it impossible to get the right people to help..I have not changed anything myself  wish Telstra could take the phone away to be fixed and given back once working the way it should

Highlighted

Have you an android mobile that you access everything on bigpond green dot pages for  free...

Yes, I have, but then I have a post-paid Next G mobile plan with an included monthly data usage allowance, so I never worry about whether something is unmetered when I'm using the device – and in fact I don't go through the BigPond Portal for anything other than checking my data usage.

——

Highlighted

Try using Garmin navigator it only works on nextg or 3g  not wifi see how much credit it takes off you I lost $17 once and $12 another time

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit