lightisdark
Level 2: Rookie

Has Telstra stopped carrier billing?

I tried to add my postpaid back to my android but carrier billing wasn’t a option?  I reset the whole phone and does not come up as a payment method. I chatted with google and he said his manager said Telstra stopped it and only Vodafone and Optus do it. However a few months ago I could add it?  My account is in good standing. This can’t be right? I submitted an article to google showing Telstra does still support it and he said he is going to raise this further. 

anyone else having issues?

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
12 REPLIES 12
SteveW_52
Level 22: Superhuman

Re: Has Telstra stopped carrier billing?

I am not sure what your problem is or what you are trying do. I also don't understand what you mean about chatting and submitting things to Google???

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict :-) also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
Not with Telstra, just another customer like you!
SteveW_52

I am guessing this might be what you are asking about?

https://www.telstra.com.au/mobile-phones/moreonyourmobile/manageyourcontent

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict :-) also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
Jupiter
Level 25: The Singularity

I don't know why you reset your phone as that would have no bearing on the ability to use your Telstra account as a payment method for Google Play as it is an account level feature, not a handset function.

I suspect the inability to be able to utilise third party billing with Google is more to do with Telstra's attempt to migrate all accounts to their new billing and management platform.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
lightisdark

I was feasting the phone to cover all my basis to make sure I done everything I can. But yes I was talking to google support and was asking them why can’t I add the billing. And he said only voda and Optus does. And I said no wait I was using it like two weeks ago with Telstra. And submitted the article Telstra had about carrier billing and he said oh right I’ll pass this onto my manager and we will look into it. 

jupiter, I think you could be right. But how does the phone know if the sim is capable of providing premium sms? Surely the add carrier function is always there?

I would like to know if anyone else is using this feature and not working for them as well

SteveW_52

You probably should start directing your questions to Telstra themselves, to get the answers you need..

My Telstra app, Get Help, blue chat window icon..  you might have trouble navigating the prompts, so keep your messages short and to the point - don't confuse things by talking about Google....

Stevo 52
Jupiter

The SIM doesn't need to know about it. The capability is a direct link between Google's systems and Telstra's systems.

It's stopped being available for me as well (although I never used it in the first place).

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
lightisdark

Thankyou! This nay bring some light that either Telstra has stopped it or them upgrading there systems. 

on googles pay of available carriers they have removed Telstra. Anyone else want to come forward that is using carrier billing and can’t anymore or want to try if they can add it to confirm this is everyone. But I think Jupiter has already concealed it’s fate grrrr

lightisdark

Just another update. I phone Telstra. They said they didn’t take the service away. In fact my limit is 500. I know it’s a lot. So I have no idea what’s going on

grumpys7

So after a massive runaraound by Telstra, Google has informed me that Telstra have removed themselves as a 3rd party billing provider. This means no more paying in Google Play via your telstra account. This is wholly insane! Proof below. Optus and Vodaphone fine. Telstra - Nope. 

https://support.google.com/googleplay/answer/2651410?co=GENIE.CountryCode%3DAustralia#zippy=%2Cmobil...

I'm sorry but it is hard to recommend Telstra while pulling this type of thing without announcements. I now have yo do a bunch of work to rejig my app subscriptions. Even after calling Telstra, they did not provide this information. The Telstra lady was very diligent and this information was clearly unavailable to the entire helpdesk. 

Not cool, Telstra. 

Anyone else having mysterious issues with this? Here's your answer. 

Just. Wow.  

Jupiter

This was actually answered in another post this morning. The functionality was removed on the 31st March. Apparently Google were supposed to send an email to affected customers, but it looks like it didn't happen.

grumpys7

Not sure why back of house contractual communication arguments and arrangements somehow become our problem, as if that's even an excuse. Even Telstra's own helpdesk doesnt know. 

Why would they even do this!? I have used this service for years and it is standard across all carriers. And they just cut it off and make me do half a day's research on their behalf. Their response to whjch is "Not my job. Jimmy was supposed to do it". Terrible look for Telstra. 

lightisdark

Oh I get what you mean. In another thread I made. Telstra employee actually wrote to me and said

Telstra have removed the ability to charge Google Play 3rd party charges to your Telstra bill.

Telstra are trying the limit and stop any 'extra' charges from landing on customers accounts without their knowing.

It is suggested to now use another payment method for your Google Play services such as a Visa or Mastercard or voucher.”

disgusting from Telstra. No one was told. It just vanished. Google blamed Telstra. Telstra blamed google (via phone and text). No official response from Telstra to their affected customers. Shame to be a Telstra customer now. I got to many services with them to switch over something like this. 

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit