Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

How are advance charges documented on ongoing bills?

I understand that Telstra is having advanced charges, however, how is that reflected on ongoing bills? My first bill had a little item telling me that I was charged one months in advance. My current bill doesn't state this anymore, which makes it look like I'm charged again for the last month (I have paid in advance). Where do I see where I have paid up to if the bills don't reflect that?

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Level 21: Augmented

Re: How are advance charges documented on ongoing bills?

The one month in advance charge is usually only for a new service/device and for the first billing cycle..  so that effectively keeps you one month in advance for the whole term. The second bill should not have any advance charge..

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict :-) also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
Not with Telstra, just another customer like you!
Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

First bill: 

Billing period: 15th august- 15th September 

with 15th august- 15th September charges and 15th September- 15th October in advance charges

second bill:

billing period: 15th September - 15th October 

No mention that I have already paid for September-October or, for transparency, that this bill will pay the service up to 15th November. 

How is it documented on the bill that this bill will pay my service up to 15th November? I have never seen a bill where it wasn’t clear what I have been charged for. 

Highlighted
Level 21: Augmented

I know, it is confusing..  but Telstra have done it this way for a very long time, but slowly removed some of the wording to further muddy it up...

In a perfect world, when you close the account/contract you shouldn't get a big bill for the last month..

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict :-) also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
Not with Telstra, just another customer like you!

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit