Highlighted
Level 3: Gumshoe

How dare you Telstra

We are extremly annoyed with Telstra today.

This morning we received an email from Telstra ( see copy below ) advising that they will be sending our account billing via email in addition toour regulkar paper bill. THIS IS EXPRESSLY AGINST OUR WISHES.

At no time have we requested to opt into any form of internet transmission of our account details in any form!

We have spent several hours now with call centre who have little if any understanding of Telstra; it's billing process let alone English itselfstaff  in all 9 plus of these so called consultants in Manilla. I have been asked on 6 occassions to provide my credits card details and have had to explain over and over than we do not use or have credit cards, why they would want that is beyond me. We have spoken with or been transfer from one useless person after another, even being transfer to Tech support for heavens sake.

We have tried to make contact with the  author of the original email, this being done from our solitors office to be told that he is not taking any calls today, and the girl in his office said she couldn't or wouldn't help!!! Nice attitude.

We now have officially on record in the presence of our solitor that we have tried to have this trial with our account stopped and should Telstra send anything via email we have been advised how to sue.

There are reports of phising emails being sent out over the past couple of days supposedly from Telstra billing department which accutaully contain a virus, so I think Telstra's timing is also amiss.

We have been advised also that Telstra has no right to make any changes to our billing advice method without our express permission and contary to our requests.

There is no return email adress for the original email and the Telstra billing site only allows for people to opt into email billing or opt out after THEY have requested to, not to prevent some executive director taking it upon himself to activate this.

Dear ******,

Join over 2 million Telstra customers who've chosen to receive their bill by
email, the convenient way to receive your Telstra bill.

Telstra customers who receive their bill by email tell us it's a better and
quicker way to manage their bill.

We thought you might enjoy these benefits too, so we've signed you up to
receive your bill on this email address as a courtesy for two months, in
addition to your paper bill. If you'd like to provide a different email address
for your Email Bill, you can do so via www.telstra.com/myaccount.

In the meantime, if you find you like it and want to make the switch from paper
now, you can do so by logging into My Account and make the switch under settings.

See you online soon,

Gerd Schenkel

Executive Director, Telstra Digital Sales and

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
14 REPLIES 14
Highlighted

Re: How dare you Telstra

Hello, have you tried contacting telstra via their online chat service? When ever I have had a problem or wanted to ask a question, it was just easier, they are pritty good online.

http://www.telstra.com.au/help/contact/online-services/index.htm

When you go to that website, then scroll down to the contact us online then click the general enquries link, this will open up a window then you will be asked some general info, after this, you should be transfered to someone.

Hope this helps, good luck

Highlighted
Level 23: Superhero

From the Telstra 'Our Customer Terms':

If you no longer wish to receive an Email Bill for any reason, you can deregister by calling us or by changing your billing preference online at My Account.

So it should be pretty simple.  Just call them or use online chat and ask that your account be deregistered for email billing.  It's likely you've confused the reps by referring to Gerd, emails, lawyers and such when in fact the request could be quite simple.

I agree it's poor form to sign people up to a service they haven't asked for, but it's really nothing worth getting worked up over.  I guess it's an attempt to further expand the cost savings involved in switching people away from paper bills.

If you've found a solution then don't forget to mark that post accordingly.
If you think I've been of assistance to you please remember to let me know by clicking on the LIKE button.

Please note: I am not a Telstra employee and any posts or opinions are entirely my own and don't reflect any official company position.
Highlighted
Level 21: Augmented

@Kalak wrote:

I guess it's an attempt to further expand the cost savings involved in switching people away from paper bills.

Rainforests aren't getting bigger. Smiley Wink

http://www.telstra.com.au/abouttelstra/sustainability/environment/

Lathania

No, but I suspect they probably source the paper from plantations anyway (or the partner business who processes their billing for them).

Let's be honest it's not just about savings trees. It's about saving money. It saves on the cost of printing, folding, inserting and posting. It also reduces the number of people paying by manual payment methods as people are more likely to BPAY if they receive a bill online/via email than they are to print it out and go to the Post Office.
If you think I've been of assistance to you please remember to let me know by clicking on the LIKE button.

Please note: I am not a Telstra employee and any posts or opinions are entirely my own and don't reflect any official company position.
Highlighted

@Kalak wrote:

From the Telstra 'Our Customer Terms':

If you no longer wish to receive an Email Bill for any reason, you can deregister by calling us or by changing your billing preference online at My Account.

So it should be pretty simple.  Just call them or use online chat and ask that your account be deregistered for email billing.  It's likely you've confused the reps by referring to Gerd, emails, lawyers and such when in fact the request could be quite simple.

I agree it's poor form to sign people up to a service they haven't asked for, but it's really nothing worth getting worked up over.  I guess it's an attempt to further expand the cost savings involved in switching people away from paper bills.

YOU OBVIOUSLY DIND'T READ MY ORIGINAL MAIL HERE PROPERLY;

It's NOT A matter of no longer requiring, we NEVER asked for it, and for  certain legal reasons , which I cen't elaborate on here,  DO NOT WANT IT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES.

It is being impossed on us and as I pointed out originally there is NO PROVISION TO CANCEL IT if WE DIDN'T INSTAGATE IT VIA THE OPT IN OUT SITE.

I also pointed out that both I and our solicitor have spent hours on the phone to Telstra call centres and people who have absolutly no idea about Telstra, Australia and customer rights.

My solicitor has had a staff member waiting on a que for nearly and hour with the chat line and has given up.

We didn't confuse anyone with regards to refering to lawyers, we couldn't get to first base with the call centre people who have no grasp what so ever of english!

To the other person here who wants to save trees, good on you buddy, and being worked up, well if you had an understanding of our situation maybe you'd be somewhat more than upset too.

We are now moving in the morning to have a court injunction slapped on this Gerd fellow and Telstra, advice to take this action has been provided to our solictor by the TIO just 30 mins ago.

Highlighted
Level 23: Superhero

I did point out it is poor form to sign customers up to a service they didn't ask for, however they can most certainly disable email billing.

Unless your solicitor's staff member is an authorised party to your account or has a power-of-attorney they won't be able to do anything anyway, so waiting on hold may be pointless.

In relation to the advice you claim to have come from the TIO, that is bollocks. The TIO do not and will not provide legal advice. They will simply provide you with a complaints area contact at the provider and give them 2 weeks to resolve the issue. After this time if nothing has happened they will look into it. They most certainly would not advise anyone to seek a court order to prevent a bill being emailed to a customer as that is just plain silly.

Highlighted
Level 22: Superhuman

Oh, the irony. (Re: How dare you Telstra)

Froggers wrote:

We are extremly annoyed with Telstra today.

This morning we received an email from Telstra ( see copy below ) advising that they will be sending our account billing via email in addition toour regulkar paper bill. THIS IS EXPRESSLY AGINST OUR WISHES.

At no time have we requested to opt into any form of internet transmission of our account details in any form!

We have spent several hours now with call centre who have little if any understanding of Telstra; it's billing process let alone English itselfstaff  in all 9 plus of these so called consultants in Manilla. I have been asked on 6 occassions to provide my credits card details and have had to explain over and over than we do not use or have credit cards, why they would want that is beyond me. We have spoken with or been transfer from one useless person after another, even being transfer to Tech support for heavens sake.

We have tried to make contact with the  author of the original email, this being done from our solitors office to be told that he is not taking any calls today, and the girl in his office said she couldn't or wouldn't help!!! Nice attitude.

We now have officially on record in the presence of our solitor that we have tried to have this trial with our account stopped and should Telstra send anything via email we have been advised how to sue.

There are reports of phising emails being sent out over the past couple of days supposedly from Telstra billing department which accutaully contain a virus, so I think Telstra's timing is also amiss.

We have been advised also that Telstra has no right to make any changes to our billing advice method without our express permission and contary to our requests.

There is no return email adress for the original email and the Telstra billing site only allows for people to opt into email billing or opt out after THEY have requested to, not to prevent some executive director taking it upon himself to activate this.

YOU OBVIOUSLY DIND'T READ MY ORIGINAL MAIL HERE PROPERLY;

It's NOT A matter of no longer requiring, we NEVER asked for it, and for  certain legal reasons , which I cen't elaborate on here,  DO NOT WANT IT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES.

It is being impossed on us and as I pointed out originally there is NO PROVISION TO CANCEL IT if WE DIDN'T INSTAGATE IT VIA THE OPT IN OUT SITE.

I also pointed out that both I and our solicitor have spent hours on the phone to Telstra call centres and people who have absolutly no idea about Telstra, Australia and customer rights.

My solicitor has had a staff member waiting on a que for nearly and hour with the chat line and has given up.

We didn't confuse anyone with regards to refering to lawyers, we couldn't get to first base with the call centre people who have no grasp what so ever of english!

——
Departed from CrowdSupport as of 12 June 2013, when the fun factor for me had finally completely evaporated with all the recent site layout and functionality changes, and the apparent efforts to turn a community goodwill-powered vehicle into something closer to a customer service channel.

The opinions and sentiments expressed above are mine only, and do not necessarily reflect Telstra's views or position. I work at Telstra, but my participation here is strictly in a personal capacity as a fellow Australian telecommunications services consumer, and you can safely assume you are not my customer, client, patron, benefactor or friend when I post in this forum.
Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

Funny, it appears that you have a lot of time and money to engage and pay a solicitor to get on the phone to a call centre. When you could have just taken a small effort to jump onto My Account and disbale email billing.

Your solicitor also should have known there are other means of contacting Telstra for legal matters, since a Manila call centre employee is not qualified to discuss legal matters, and he will need to escalate to a supervisor who is also unqualified and so is his superiors.

The TIO does not provide legal advise, it's purpose is to only mediate an outcome. Your trained solicitor should also have known this?

I find your posting very strange, and you're posting such a dire issue of yours on Crowd Support?

I can only ROFLMAO.

Highlighted

Regardless of Telstra's right to send you an email bill on top of your existing paper bill, what's done is done and short of Telstra inventing time travel your best bet for resolution is to do as you've been advised on this thread multiple ways and disable email billing via MyAccount or Livechat.

You could have done it in the time it took you to write any one of these posts. Do you want a resolution to your problem or do you want to complain?

http://www.telstra.com.au/help/contact/complaints/
Lathania

Thanks for all the useless advice, BUT you can only cancel via my account if you the customer have instagated the email billing in the first place. This has been instagated by a representative of Telstra, not by us!

Our solictors staff were being used to mind the lines for us on hold, not to speak with or discuss on our behalf, he did try to communicate at one stage with one of the Phillipinos as we were at screaming point trying to get them to understand simple english..

And our solicitor used to work for the TIO office and has contacts who said this would be the quickest course of action to take.

Highlighted

Have you actually tried to disable it via MyAccount? If it says disabled try enabling then disabling straight away perhaps.

Have you tried https://livechat.telstra.com/TCOM:Crowdsupport:Consumer and asking to change to paper bill only?
Lathania

Froggers wrote:

I never used the site to opt-in for e-mail bills, and yet the (“Post it to me and give me online access”) option to switch off e-mail bills is available to me in My Account somehow.

Disable e-mail bills.png

——
Departed from CrowdSupport as of 12 June 2013, when the fun factor for me had finally completely evaporated with all the recent site layout and functionality changes, and the apparent efforts to turn a community goodwill-powered vehicle into something closer to a customer service channel.

The opinions and sentiments expressed above are mine only, and do not necessarily reflect Telstra's views or position. I work at Telstra, but my participation here is strictly in a personal capacity as a fellow Australian telecommunications services consumer, and you can safely assume you are not my customer, client, patron, benefactor or friend when I post in this forum.
Highlighted

This is an update for your information.

We have just received another email from this Gerd character and it would appear that we haven't been the only ones who have been trying to get this stopped.

We have an appology and an admission that the appropriate opt out of the trial was not included with the original email.

It also states that they respect our option to continue to revieve a paper bill and that there is a special opt out link that should have been included. NB. not through my account!!!

http://say.telstra.com.au/customer/general/surveys/EMAIL-BILL

It appears that this was instagated as part of the surveys department associated with Telstra, and done badly.

Highlighted
Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

Hiya Froggers, thanks for visiting the forum.

I am sorry that you were inconvenienced by the trial, this definitely was not our intention. The trial was setup to allow customers to experience the convenience of email bill whilst still receiving their paper bill. This would allow you to decide, which was more suited to your needs.

As per the second email set to customers, there was supposed to be an opt-out in the original email and for future customers reading this thread, the link that Froggers has provided in his post is the correct site to visit if you would like to opt-out.

Again, Froggers, I apologise for any inconvenience caused.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit