Michael9999
Level 1: Cadet

How do I get a refund of a credit balance on a closed account?

Answered

I closed my home phone/internet account with Telstra over 6 months ago which resulted in a credit balance of about $55 owing to me. Some months ago (January) I engaged in a chat session requesting the refund and was promised that it would happen, but still no luck. I get a "bill" notification every month advising me that the account is in credit, but I just don't know who to contact to get the money back. The account always used to be direct debited, so Telstra do have my bank account details.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Jupiter
Level 25: The Singularity
Accepted Solution

Re: How do I get a refund of a credit balance on a closed account?

The consultant that you chatted with should have been able to organise the refund (it only takes 10 business days to be processed). They can't just use the account details from the Direct Debit as they may not be accessible any more (as the account is closed), and they can't assume that the bank account still exists. You would usually receive a cheque in the mail.

You could try another chat session, and then if it still isn't received a couple of weeks later, lodge a formal complaint via https://telstra.com/complaints (which takes around 5 business days to get an initial response).

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
2 REPLIES 2
Jupiter
Accepted Solution

The consultant that you chatted with should have been able to organise the refund (it only takes 10 business days to be processed). They can't just use the account details from the Direct Debit as they may not be accessible any more (as the account is closed), and they can't assume that the bank account still exists. You would usually receive a cheque in the mail.

You could try another chat session, and then if it still isn't received a couple of weeks later, lodge a formal complaint via https://telstra.com/complaints (which takes around 5 business days to get an initial response).

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.

View solution in original post

D67
Level 1: Cadet

Have fun with it! I am still fighting

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit