twistan
Level 4: Private Eye

How to have your Early Termination Fee waived if Telstra Staff have provided false information

Hi all,
if Telstra staff have provided false information or withheld information when you signed up to a plan, for example, if you have not been informed by Telstra, that once you get connected to NBN you can no longer use your own modem/router to connect your phone system (refer to my related post under NBN Modems and Hardware ) because Telstra refuses to disclose the required SIP details, you can complain to:

Mr Andrew Penn,  Office of the CEO, Locked Bag 5639
, Melbourne VIC 3001

Your complaint will be forwarded to Telstra's CEO Complaint Office in Melbourne. On the basis of precedents they will  waive the Early Termination Fee in case you want to change your ISP.

Telstra's practices that force consumers (not businesses) to use a Telstra supplied modem will be investigated elsewhere.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
4 REPLIES 4
Kalak
Level 23: Superhero

Re: How to have your Early Termination Fee waived if Telstra Staff have provided false information

You can use your own modem router to connect your own phone system if you wish to.

You can however not use a 3rd-party device to connect the Telstra Voice Advanced NBN phone service.

That hasn't changed in over 3 years - https://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/Modems-Hardware/NBN-Voice-Advanced/m-p/330593#M26691

It can be investigated until the cows come home. ISPs/providers are entitled to require certain hardware for the supply of certain products or services.
If you've found a solution then don't forget to mark that post accordingly.
If you think I've been of assistance to you please remember to let me know by clicking on the LIKE button.

Please note: I am not a Telstra employee and any posts or opinions are entirely my own and don't reflect any official company position.
DrQ
Level 24: Supreme Being
Level 24: Supreme Being

Re: How to have your Early Termination Fee waived if Telstra Staff have provided false information

If you are provided false information then sure. In that case the standard complaints team would typically be able to waive it if the evidence supports it as well. In the case of needing to escalate it to the CEO office you can also do that online if you don't want to send it via post. https://service.telstra.com.au/customer/general/forms/contact-ceo-form

That being said, Kalak is very right. Telstra isn't the only company who do not disclose their SIP and the RSP are under no requirement to do so.... but if they tell you incorrect or false information then that is different to them just not offering a service.
Helpful Links

Internet not working or outage in your area? - Check the Outage page for details and troubleshooting.
Help with an account issue? - LiveChat 24x7 support
View Usage, Bills and more - Check it out on MyAccount

Previously worked with a Telstra Partner however I am not a Telstra Employee, just a fellow customer helping when I can.

twistan

Well, Internode for example DO provide the SIP parameters and all Telcos I can chose from in Central Europe do the same.

Forcing customers to use Telstra's cheap consumer grade modems when being switched over to NBN to connect their phone systems is not acceptable and as a matter of fact I think that such practices should be prohibited.

As an aside: do you think that Telstra could force companies to use their bare bones 3rd world Sagecom and Technicolor modems ?  Why do they force consumer to use their modems ?

twistan

@Kalak

I emphasised before that posts to this forum are not relevant and we professionals do not have the time to browse yours and others posts on a regular basis as a source of information.

In my view Telstra's practices are tantamount to protectionism which is prohibited and prosecuted by most other western countries.

As a consequence of Telstra's practices the sales of 3rd party modem/routers have already declined dramatically. Telstra distorts the free market and effectively wipes out competitors of Sagecom and Technicolor which is clearly a violation of Australia's Consumer and Competition Act. The fact that Telstra gets away with it so far reflects negatively upon our political establishment that tolerates such a protectionism. In Europe Telstra would not get away with it. But this is Australia, much to the disadvantage of consumers.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit