Level 2: Rookie

Mobile Broadband Data Balance

Answered

I recharged my mobile broadband a little less than a month ago (28/11) and haven't used it until yesterday. When I switched it on, it claimed there was no data left, even though there should have been 12Gb. I tried rebooting it several times, and each time it said the same thing. I also checked the Telstra web site, and it also said I had 0Gb available. The number of days remaining appears correct, but the data is zero.

It doesn't appear to affect things. I can still browse the web, and download, so it appears the data balance is actually there, just not displaying on either the modem or the web site. But I would like to know how much data I have available.

Is there anything I can do to fix this problem? I tried contacting Telstra by phone, but their labyrinthine menu system, and tendency to SMS you a link to the Telstra App and then hang up on you defeated me. Plus there's 30-45 minute wait time when you do manage to get through.

Thanks

Chris

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Accepted Solution

Re: Mobile Broadband Data Balance

Thanks @ProfessorPhone, but my device is one of the pre-paid mobile broadband devices. I believe this is the one: https://www.telstra.com.au/internet/mobile-broadband/prepaid/telstra-pre-paid-4gx-wifi-plus .

If you can send and receive text messages on it, I don't know how to do that.

But in searching for a way to send and receive text messages, I stumbled upon the answer to my problem:

I remembered that there's a "gateway" web site built into the device, which can be accessed using the following link:

https://m.telstra.com/broadband/accountDetails.mml?a=view

Using that link, I was able to view the correct balance.

I don't know why it doesn't show up on the Telstra web site though. You'd think it would be visible there at the very least.

Oh well, at least I can tell how much data I have left now.

Thanks

Chris

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
4 REPLIES 4
Level 23: Superhero

With many data plans you can send a text to 176   with the message saying      Use         and you will receive a text back in a few seconds with your usage balance

"BEING NICE TO OTHERS .. IS NICE"
If I have helped you, a "Like" would be appreciated.

If my advice is a solution, please acknowledge it.

I'm not a Telstra employee.
50 + years exp. in radio comms., eg mobile phones since 1963, two-way radios, base stations, antennas & pagers. Expert in current Telstra Go repeaters & smart antennas.
"Being 76 years of age, entitles one to be an expert at everything!!"
Accepted Solution

Thanks @ProfessorPhone, but my device is one of the pre-paid mobile broadband devices. I believe this is the one: https://www.telstra.com.au/internet/mobile-broadband/prepaid/telstra-pre-paid-4gx-wifi-plus .

If you can send and receive text messages on it, I don't know how to do that.

But in searching for a way to send and receive text messages, I stumbled upon the answer to my problem:

I remembered that there's a "gateway" web site built into the device, which can be accessed using the following link:

https://m.telstra.com/broadband/accountDetails.mml?a=view

Using that link, I was able to view the correct balance.

I don't know why it doesn't show up on the Telstra web site though. You'd think it would be visible there at the very least.

Oh well, at least I can tell how much data I have left now.

Thanks

Chris

View solution in original post

Support Team
Support Team

Hi Chris284, it still might be worth getting in contact with the pre-paid billing team over the Telstra app:  https://tel.st/35s4r about this. You can send a message there by clicking 'get help' and saying words like 'pre-paid recharge' or 'pre-paid mobile faults' to be connected to a consultant. They should be able to investigate this recharge error and see where any usages that may have occurred has come from. 

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Thanks @AmberSC , but I don't think it's a recharge error so much as a display error. As I mentioned in my reply, the gateway app is displaying the correct information, it's just the device itself and the Telstra billing page is not.

I'll try to contact them anyway, just to see if they can provide me with any further information.

Chris.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit