Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

No-one has caused more grief than telstra

I first notified Telstra that my husband had passed away only to receive numerous phone calls and letters to him, mostly re NBN.  I continually advised that I had requested the account to be in my name.  Finally, after receiving another letter addressed to my husband I made another phone call to Telstra a couple of days ago which lasted 1 Hour 13 mins before my mobile dropped out, they rang back and a further 13 minutes later I was informed that it had all been rectified - apparently a new account had to be established in my name even though I have had all the dealings with Telstra over the past 40 years at this address, and, the mobile was to be in my name but under single billing apparently Telstra have believed in a chauvinistic/sexist manner that it is best to put it in the man's name.  Originally our account was in joint names but at some stage Telstra or their predecessor's policy was to put it in the man's name only.

Today I received yet another phone call for my husband from Telstra and when I said no it was me they needed to talk to I was informed that I had moved to another carrier - news to me!  After some discussion it was ascertained - oh sorry you were allocated a new account as per email recently sent.  I didn't see the email as it was sent to an old email address which is never used and I had requested be closed - in previous times every time you renewed your plan you had to have a new email address consequently long time formerly loyal telstra customers ended up with a number of email addresses!

Even though I had been repeatedly told that everything is exactly the same I have this evening received an email congratulating me on requesting that I receive email bills - once again - news to me!

What else has been changed?  A great lot of thanks for 40 years of loyalty - shall be looking around  now for another carrier.

Have dealt with banks, superannuation, transferring of house, car and all the other things necessary when someone passes away without too much trouble.  Telstra has taken more time than all these other matters together to just change the existing account into my name or should I say they saw it was necessary to somehow give me a new account.  No other organisation has done this they have simply just changed the existing account into my name.

If someone has the time to listen to all the recorded messages they will see what a waste of time and resources the whole exercise is.  Not much joy for the shareholders!

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Level 24: Supreme Being
Level 24: Supreme Being

Re: No-one has caused more grief than telstra

It doesn't really help in this situation now but they went to single account names to work in better with guidelines that were introduced in govt requirements but that was a long time ago now, about a decade or longer I believe. It wasn't done to only the male but rather to the first person on the account who was the primary owner of the account. They would need to create a new account number for you but would be able to just transfer the services over to you.

It is strange that it was that much hassle. Typically if you can get hold of the bereavement team they are able to get it all sorted very easy, in fact, in the case of sorting out my father's estate for my mother they were the single easiest. One call and they confirmed what we wanted to be closed and what we wanted to be changed into mum's name and it was all completed within 24 hours.

If you did want to try to get it sorted, even if only to make sure you don't have any issues changing providers once you find one that suits your needs, I would suggest calling 132200 and say "disconnect" specifically, between 9am and 8:30pm AEST and you will get a team who are primarily based in Adelaide and are really good at trying to get things sorted and should hopefully be able to help get it sorted so you have no issues changing providers at the very least.

Helpful Links

Internet not working or outage in your area? - Check the Outage page for details and troubleshooting.
Help with an account issue? - LiveChat 24x7 support
View Usage, Bills and more - Check it out on MyAccount

Previously worked with a Telstra Partner however I am not a Telstra Employee, just a fellow customer helping when I can.

Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

I did speak to the bereavement team..twice.. when I first rang and then a few days ago .. the phone call that was over 1 hour as mentioned for the representative to "get it all in order"..NOT SO. What is even more complexing is that our account has always been debited to MY credit card not my husband's.

I wish i had your luck... nothing has frustrated me more than dealing with telstra during this time. I have not had a problem with any other organisation
Highlighted
Support Team
Support Team

Hey Idontbelieveit,

I just sent you a DM, I think I am in a position to assist.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit