Highlighted
Level 2: Rookie

Not a happy Telstra customer at the moment!

Answered

Can anyone here please help and give advice on this situation.

November last year I recontracted early from a samsung galaxy s3 to an iphone 5C.
The lady who was dealing with me said to me that I will be charged a $50 recontracting fee which I had no problem with. Then because I recontracted before my plan was up I would have to pay the old phone off on this new contract, again I had no problem with this as the lady told me that I would pay my old phone off in monthly instalments so its not all on the one bill, So I thought this was great! It was worked out to be roughly $100 a month I would pay for my new plan of $66 plus the bill/phone of the old plan on top which was $34 on top making it $100 all together a month which is affordable for me.

But this all changed when I received my bill on the 22nd of December for $450! I was actually dumbfounded, I rang Telstra straight away asking what has gone on as in that month I had hardly made any calls, I'm on unlimited texts so theres not cost there and I always use my home wifi so my data couldn't have done this as I turned off the apps automatic refresh in settings off.
She told me that it was because of my old phone that it had all been put on the one bill, but this wasn't the agreement!!! She said 'well you have a month to pay it off, I think you should start paying it off now'. I was expecting a more of a you know 'we should be able to sort this out and divide the cost over a few months' but no, that's what I got!

Telstra have been ringing me non-stop and because I work odd hours they always seem to ring when I'm at work and when I have the chance to ring back its out of hours or the people can't help me because I can't remember the ladies name that served me and to top it off, when I recontracted I just turned 18 so I could put the phone into my name so my mother didn't have to keep getting my bills, so a contract had to be signed which we had to travel 1.5 hours to do because we live in south west NSW. so then when I ring up the lady I was dealing to sort this huge bill out with said I can not have information to this account because its not in my name because it turns out that they had lost the damn contract that my mother had signed to put the phone into my name!

So I had to do an over the phone credit check and give personal details and said they would send a new contract in the mail to sign but we had to take it back to the store personally so they can verify who I am. Seriously Telstra I have not had one straight answer from you or have been even remotely helpful. This bill is still sitting here unpaid because I refuse to have to fork out that much money because of your incompetence. I have paid a small amount into it so you don't cut off my phone but you would be getting your money if you teach your staff to not lose contracts and put the agreement of monthly instalments to pay off the old handset into the system so the rest get the memo! The bill is now $500! Because you are very keen to whack another $15 on top everytime my payment is late, my payment is late because if the simple instruction of 'monthly instalments of the old contract' was followed you would get your flaming money! I am a student for god sake, how much money do you think we get!?

I'm sick of having to talk to your staff that have no interest in public relations what so ever. They have been nothing but rude and unhelpful. Optus is looking pretty good right now.

Regards,
A very disgruntled customer!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)
Accepted Solution

Re: Not a happy Telstra customer at the moment!

Hey Ip13,

I can certainly understand the difficulties you'd be having with only been given 2 weeks payment extension to pay a lump sum amount.

There is indeed a possibility for you to make an extended payment for more than 2 weeks. When you contact our Credit Management Team on 13 22 00 (say credit management) make sure that you get to speak to a consultant rather than the automated IVR and ask if you could speak to a team leader or supervisor who are able to make longer payment arrangement.

I'm really sorry that everythign has turned out this way as I understand you believed that the customer service who served you was doing the write thing with the remainder of the repayments being made in installments which had been changed since. As with the late fees, when you do get charged them, I'll be willing to review those bills for you and consider rebating them, just send me a private message. Thanks Ip13.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
12 REPLIES 12
Highlighted
Level 25: The Singularity
Level 25: The Singularity

lp13,

Do you still have your (& your mother's) copies of the contracts?

If so, it should be a fairly painless exercise (other than you most likely have to take a trip back in to town to finalise it), as all the details are recorded on your copy of the contract.

Also, you might want to point out to them that if the contract is still in your mother's name, how could they commence a new contract with you signing it and not her?

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Highlighted
Support Team
Support Team

Hi,

That is definitely not a good experience. Last year our rules around recontracting and paying out MRO's changed to no longer allow the option of making instalment payments which is why the cost has come through as a lump sum on your bill. Without looking at your account I can't see any notes about what was offered to you. We can definitely arrange a payment extension to give you more time to be able to pay off the amount given you were expecting it to come through in instalments if you speak with our Credit Management team.

With the change of the service into your name, did the Telstra store arrange for that to happen while you were there or did they say they were going to send the information off to be completed?

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

Highlighted

Regards to Jupiter, we never received a copy of the contract that my mother signed and when my bill came through and it was still in her name that's when I rang to see what's going on and they had lost the contract so they sent me another one to fill out and sign, but they should have never lost it in the first place and is just an inconvenience to me.

In regards to Ashley, how come she offered to me the ability to pay in monthly instalments if it's not valid. That shouldn't be my problem, it's there's and they should fix it. That is what the agreement was, if it wasn't that I would have never of re-contracted because it would be too expensive and now it has turned out to be that way.

They had given me a payment extension of 2 weeks. How am I, a student with a part time job that averages not even $150 a fortnight to be able to pay that off in two weeks without getting whacked in the face with late fees. If a payment extension of maybe a month or two was possible that may allow me to pay the amount of, but with paying board, food for my horses/adgistment and now this bill I'm in debt already and I can not rely on my parents to pay for it because it's my responsibility and it would have never of turned out this way if the agreement had been followed. It was a verbal agreement so I was on the terms that the lady who served me knew what she was doing. But obviously not......
Highlighted
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)
Accepted Solution

Hey Ip13,

I can certainly understand the difficulties you'd be having with only been given 2 weeks payment extension to pay a lump sum amount.

There is indeed a possibility for you to make an extended payment for more than 2 weeks. When you contact our Credit Management Team on 13 22 00 (say credit management) make sure that you get to speak to a consultant rather than the automated IVR and ask if you could speak to a team leader or supervisor who are able to make longer payment arrangement.

I'm really sorry that everythign has turned out this way as I understand you believed that the customer service who served you was doing the write thing with the remainder of the repayments being made in installments which had been changed since. As with the late fees, when you do get charged them, I'll be willing to review those bills for you and consider rebating them, just send me a private message. Thanks Ip13.

View solution in original post

Highlighted

I've rang the 132200 number and tried to speak to them but they won't do anything because the phone is still in my mothers name because the incompetent people have the lost the god damn contract. If my mother gets a bad credit rating because of their misconduct and incompetency I will be furious. This is nor my fault or my mothers and I need this to be fixed. But how can I fix it when they won't even talked to me because it's in my mothers name? My mother has tried ringing them and they don't understand what is happening. So I honestly give up with the company. It's beyond ridiculous now.
Highlighted
Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Ip13.

I've just sent you a private message so that I can look into this for you myself. Please have a read.

Thanks, Tim
Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

Highlighted

Now they have cut off my phone. Bloody typical!
'Oh we don't want to sort her problem out, we'll just cut her phone off!'
Pathetic.

Your can keep your phone and your contract!
I'm going to Optus!
Highlighted
Support Team
Support Team

Hi Ip13,

That's not good Smiley Sad Did you receive the message Tim sent?

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today
Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Kudo to the member(s) who helped you out

Highlighted

Yes I did receive the message Tim sent and have filled out the form but every time I press submit it comes up with 'service failure' and says to re submit and a later time, I re submitted it about 3 hours later and it said the same thing so I give up!
Highlighted
Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Ip13

Which internet browser are you using? We've double checked and are not having any issues with the webform.

I'm using Google Chrome. Maybe try that browser? Let me know if you still have problems.

Thanks, Tim
Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

Highlighted

I'm using safari and it is still saying 'service failure' I will try my desktop computer later on today.
Highlighted
Support Team
Support Team

Keep us posted with how this goes, so we can make sure it gets sorted for you.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit