CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

Overbilling aged pensioner

Answered

Hi,

My brother in law is an old age pensioner living in a remote area in Victoria.  He has no mobile phone and no internet and therefore no email address that he can access.  He can't register online. We have 2 problems that are proving difficult.  We tried calling Telstra but gave up after almost 2 hours of waiting online. (on 2 occasions)

1. His bills are addressed to his long deceased (17 years) father and sent to a defunct address.  He would like the bills to be in his name.

2. It seems to me that he is being massively overcharged at $55 per month PLUS call costs for his landline - an extra $50 per month for about 25 calls.

As his pension is currently his only source of income this is a huge cost to him.

Can Telstra contact me about these problems?

Thank you Steve

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Level 24: Supreme Being
Accepted Solution

Re: Overbilling aged pensioner

Hey. 

unfortunately as this is a public forum, no one here has access to account information so wouldn’t be able to help with that for you here. 

however, it sounds like one of the newer options would likely be a much better fit as it sounds like he is on quite an old offer. The new voice ultimate is $55 with all calls and from memory there is a $10 discount available for pensioners making it less then currently paying with the calls that are currently extra included. 

Since you are having issues reaching the support team though, I would highly suggest that you speak to your nearest Telstra Store or Dealer and they should be able to help as well with getting moved onto a more suitable plan. 

with the name on the account, that is going to be the one that may depend. If the account is still held in the name of the late then they would need to do a change of ownership on the account which is pretty straight forward normally. 

Helpful Links

Internet not working or outage in your area? - Check the Outage page for details and troubleshooting.
Help with an account issue? - LiveChat 24x7 support
View Usage, Bills and more - Check it out on MyAccount

Previously worked with a Telstra Partner however I am not a Telstra Employee, just a fellow customer helping when I can.

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
1 REPLY 1
Highlighted
Accepted Solution

Re: Overbilling aged pensioner

Hey. 

unfortunately as this is a public forum, no one here has access to account information so wouldn’t be able to help with that for you here. 

however, it sounds like one of the newer options would likely be a much better fit as it sounds like he is on quite an old offer. The new voice ultimate is $55 with all calls and from memory there is a $10 discount available for pensioners making it less then currently paying with the calls that are currently extra included. 

Since you are having issues reaching the support team though, I would highly suggest that you speak to your nearest Telstra Store or Dealer and they should be able to help as well with getting moved onto a more suitable plan. 

with the name on the account, that is going to be the one that may depend. If the account is still held in the name of the late then they would need to do a change of ownership on the account which is pretty straight forward normally. 

Helpful Links

Internet not working or outage in your area? - Check the Outage page for details and troubleshooting.
Help with an account issue? - LiveChat 24x7 support
View Usage, Bills and more - Check it out on MyAccount

Previously worked with a Telstra Partner however I am not a Telstra Employee, just a fellow customer helping when I can.

View solution in original post

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit