SupInfinity
Level 4: Private Eye

PHISHING ??

Answered

hi, why did telstra start using my id email address for billing, without asking, informing etc.  i had customer service remove a hacked ones yonks ago and left blank on purpose bc unable to opt out of email reminders. my bill is a hundred bucks in credit and the cycle never changes so email bills/ reminders aren’t necessary. too easy to just check monthly in the app (and that’s just for telstra errors, not my own cap overages).

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Jupiter
Level 25: The Singularity
Accepted Solution

Re: PHISHING ??

They are legally required to send you your bill, so since billing has gone to email as the default, they would have used the one that is registered in the system.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.

View solution in original post

Jupiter
Accepted Solution

My Telstra bills come from telstraemailbill_noreply4@online.telstra.com

A bill coming from info@telstra,com.au would make me suspicious.

You would need to check the actual header information of the email to see where it is actually coming from.

eg

Return-Path: <telstraemailbill_noreply4@online.telstra.com>
Delivered-To: myemailaddresshere
Received: from mymailserver.com.au
by mymailserver.com.au with LMTP
id eGvCLLoMSGBB+wBBGKftWA
(envelope-from <telstraemailbill_noreply4@online.telstra.com>)
for <myemailaddresshere>; Wed, 10 Mar 2021 11:03:06 +1100
Return-path: <telstraemailbill_noreply4@online.telstra.com>
Envelope-to: myemailaddresshere
Delivery-date: Wed, 10 Mar 2021 11:03:06 +1100
Received: from ipybvo.tcif.telstra.com.au ([203.35.135.203]:43751) <----this is the important bit as this is where the email actually originates from. It needs to be a Telstra system

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
13 REPLIES 13
Jupiter
Accepted Solution

They are legally required to send you your bill, so since billing has gone to email as the default, they would have used the one that is registered in the system.

SupInfinity

sure, if the apps not working, but 24/7 access - legal schmegal.  just to confirm it’s not spam tho bc my provider deemed it such, is telstra’s email bills address info@online.telstra.com.au?

tx

Jupiter
Accepted Solution

My Telstra bills come from telstraemailbill_noreply4@online.telstra.com

A bill coming from info@telstra,com.au would make me suspicious.

You would need to check the actual header information of the email to see where it is actually coming from.

eg

Return-Path: <telstraemailbill_noreply4@online.telstra.com>
Delivered-To: myemailaddresshere
Received: from mymailserver.com.au
by mymailserver.com.au with LMTP
id eGvCLLoMSGBB+wBBGKftWA
(envelope-from <telstraemailbill_noreply4@online.telstra.com>)
for <myemailaddresshere>; Wed, 10 Mar 2021 11:03:06 +1100
Return-path: <telstraemailbill_noreply4@online.telstra.com>
Envelope-to: myemailaddresshere
Delivery-date: Wed, 10 Mar 2021 11:03:06 +1100
Received: from ipybvo.tcif.telstra.com.au ([203.35.135.203]:43751) <----this is the important bit as this is where the email actually originates from. It needs to be a Telstra system

SupInfinity

thanks. that’s why i asked, i need to unspam it if ok after checking the header etc.  weird if account was hacked without any other issue tho?  no 2 factor sms/push notification option ey?  

Jupiter

No. There is no 2 factor authentication.

I get fake bills for Telstra all the time. The real ones come through OK. All the fake ones end up in SPAM automatically.

SupInfinity

can i post a copy of the headers - about double the length of your example, bc it’s similar, and the email is all correct, so i’m not sure now? 

Jupiter

Might be safer to send it to me in a Private message. Just in case you leave in anything that identifies your email address/server.

I'll send you one and you can respond to it.

Jupiter

OK. scratch that idea. You don't have Private messages enabled on your account.

Click on my username and then try to send me a message through the screen that comes up.

SupInfinity

is that with the private message setting? i only just turned it on now if so,

Jupiter

Perfect. You should have a indicator next to the messages item on the left.

SupInfinity

copy and pasted all but on phone i only see a couple off lines sent. hopefully it’s all there

Jupiter

Yes, it came through.

I can't see anything there that would make me doubt that it is a genuine Telstra email. The mailserver IP address is within Telstra's system and there is nothing to indicate that it originated from outside of the Telstra systems.

SupInfinity

cool bananas. that’s what i thort. the email even tells me i’m in credit a hundred, which is correct, so would be quite the clever scam. it’s also my correct regular bill date.... but Thanks for that.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit