Jimmy43
Level 1: Cadet

Power of attorney

My mother has recently had a major health issue that means she will never be able to look after herself again. I applied for and was granted power of attorney via VCAT and want to be added as an authority on her account.

I took the order from VCAT to the Telstra shop who said it was "illegal" for them to handle it (even though countless other organisations have handled it this way) and they emailed a copy to team Telstra. I was told this would take 24 hours to sort out.

A week later and despite calls and messages with Telstra I have gotten nowhere. The latest is I've been told that I have to go back to the Telstra store and start the process again.

How on earth is an organisation as big as Telstra, that must deal with issues like this all the time, so unprepared and so unwilling to sort this out?

Literally every other org has sensed that this is a difficult time and done what they can to help, but Telstra have pretty much sent a shoulder shrug emoji in response.

I am a Telstra customer myself and am staggered this has been handled so poorly.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
10 REPLIES 10
Dowser
Level 18: Intelligence Chief
Level 18: Intelligence Chief

Re: Power of attorney

Jimmy, I feel for you in this difficult time.  I was previously issued a POA.

Which Telstra store did you attend?.

I suggest that you attend the store again (with your documents) and deal only with the manager.

The next step would be to submit a complaint to Telstra.

Please update your progress here.

Jupiter
Level 25: The Singularity

Some of the stores are pretty useless when it comes to non-standard transactions (ie non-sales, bill payments). They could have handled the process much better. My recommendation would be to mail or email the documents (see addresses below) with a brief message given the reason for the POA, and the account details.

The documents can be sent to Telstra by:

• Mail
    Customer Support
    Correspondence Team - Trustee/Guardian
    Locked Bag 20026
    Melbourne VIC 3001

• Fax to 1300 556 737
  • Email to thetelstrateam@online.telstra.com (please address the subject line as Public Trustee, regardless of the contact type request)
Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Jimmy43

Hi,

I went to the Melbourne Central store. I did deal with the manager - he didn't seem particularly interested in my situation.

I'll either try there again today, or try a new one. 

Thanks

Veezy
Support Team
Support Team

Hi Jimmy43, you are doing the right thing with the POA form, please if you experiencing any more issues then let us know.

- Lee

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Jimmy43

Hi

The people at the Telstra store emailed my VCAT order to thetelstrateam@online.telstra.com  - with my email copied in. They didn't reply to that email or the two subsequent emails I sent as a follow up.

Customer service said "your Mum needs to call Telstra for this," which she is incapable of. So back to square one.

As a side note, the NAB understood my situation and helped me transfer a significant amount of money from my Mum's account to the home she now lives in. It took 48 hours.

It's just that Telstra don't care.

Jupiter

Customer service was wrong (and it is actually a stupid response that they gave given the situation).

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Veezy
Support Team
Support Team

I have just sent you through a PM with some more info.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

Jimmy43

Which is the right thing? Going back to square one after wasting hours and hours of time I don't have? I am not especially optimistic my situation will improve.

I think I have spoken to 7 different Telstra people and nobody seems to care. It's shameful.

Veezy
Support Team
Support Team

Not the feedback we want to hear and I apologise about the back and forth Jimmy43. Are you located near any other Telstra stores? All our Telstra stores are equipped with handling POA forms. I would suggest to speak to the store manager again and advised them of the urgency in this.

Veezy
Support Team
Support Team

Just reaching out to see how you went with this Jimmy43?

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit