Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

Problems closing Telstra account

Hi,

5 months ago I went across to one of your competitors for an NBN and phone service. I closed my Telstra phone account soon after in about late June - or so I thought! Since then I have still been getting monthly accounts saying I will receive a credit payment and this amount has been steadily increasing from month to month. I have checked the bank accounts to see if the payment has occurred but sadly each month no payment has been received. This has been going on for four months now and all attempts to contact your billing team via phone have failed as my plight is not considered "Important Enough"!!!!!! I keep on getting told by the automated telephone service to call back later. I thought all customers were important but this must have been a dream. You will use the excuse of Covid 19 as most other large companies do at the moment.

Can you please look into this as a matter of urgency as I am starting to think this is all some kind of plot to send me slowly insane.

<removed for your privacy>

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Level 25: The Singularity

Re: Problems closing Telstra account

Never post your email address in a public forum such as Crowdsupport, your spam may increase substantially.

Refunds of Credit aren't done automatically and I'm not sure why it would be increasing unless you are still making payments.

You will need to send a message using the My Telstra app on your mobile (blue icon, bottom right of Get Help screen) and if Codi redirects you, type "Speak to a consultant" and you should be transferred to the queue to chat with a human.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

I believe my account should have been closed when I was connected to the NBN on the 7th of September 2020.

Should I have notified Telstra at that time?

Highlighted

If you ported to another provider, then it should have occurred automatically.

If you requested a new connection with another provider, then it would not trigger the cancellation of your Telstra service.

You can notify Telstra by sending a message using the My Telstra app.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit