derpasherpa
Level 1: Cadet

Purchased phone outright, swapped because it was faulty. New monthly charges for a device

I am at my wits end with this total scam.

I purchased a phone outright, which turned out to be faulty. It was a run around to get Telstra to admit that, but we finally came to a resolution and i went into a store to pick up a new device. The old one was taken from me and i have not seen it again.

I am now being charged $41.62 a month for a phone that doesn't exist.

I have been told multiple times by Telstra reps on the phone that there is no record of the case number i was provided and they cannot provide any proof of these interactions because paperwork is apparently pretty hard for these people. Then i receive an email last night outlining what i was told in store. How is this even possible?

I am not in a situation where Telstra is straight up lying to me about the interactions i had with staff, cannot provide me with any evidence of me agreeing to pay for a new device and wont send me out my second device.

This is a scam and i believe Telstra is stealing money from me and all they do it throw their hands up in the air.

Pathetic

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
6 REPLIES 6
derpasherpa

Re: Purchased phone outright, swapped because it was faulty. New monthly charges for a device

*I am now in a situation where Telstra is straight up lying to me about the interactions i had with staff

I also tried to call the 1800 complaints line just now and it is saying it is shut. 8-8 on the website. Seriously...

Dowser
Level 21: Augmented
Level 21: Augmented

Re: Purchased phone outright, swapped because it was faulty. New monthly charges for a device

The methods for submitting a complaint with Telstra are detailed on the webpage

derpasherpa

Hi Dowser,

Thank you for your response.

I had made a complain and gotten a response that was along the lines of "we don't think it went that way so deal with the charges" which is completely unacceptable because they haven't been able to provide any proof in favour of their argument.

I am contacting the Ombudsman about it but I was wondering if anyone else had had a similar experience and was able to come to a reasonable solution which doesn't leave me paying for 2 phones 

Jupiter
Level 25: The Singularity
Level 25: The Singularity

The options to get it resolved are going to vary depending on who created the sales record in the system for the replacement handset.

• If it was the Store, then talking to the manager of the Store would be the first port of call. You should take your proof of purchase for the faulty phone with you as that will make it much easier for them to understand and verify what has occurred.
  • If you can't get it resolved at the store, then a formal complaint to Telstra would be the next step.
  • If the formal complaint doesn't resolve the issue, then a complaint to the TIO is the next step. The TIO has a large backlog and it could take a while to get it resolved, but they should be able to get it sorted.
  • Finally, as the problem would be a breach of Australian Consumer Law (in that you are now being charged for the replacement for a faulty item that you had already fully paid for), you could complain to the ACCC as well.

If the sales order was created by call centre staff, then you would skip the first point and start at the formal complaint to Telstra stage.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
ProfessorPhone
Level 23: Superhero

You can write to the CEO of Telstra and a link is provided

https://say.telstra.com.au/customer/general/forms/contact-ceo-form

The CEO's complaint office is a much higher level of complaint based in Australia (Melbourne) than the general complaints process.

Customers like you have reported that they have had a quicker response by email than mail, when writing to the CEO.

Consumer Affairs in your state may possibly  be quicker than TIO.

The ACCC are certainly interested as already  explained, but their policy is not to act on just one complaint individually, and usually tell you to contact the state complaints authority first,

"BEING NICE TO OTHERS .. IS NICE"
If I have helped you, a "Like" would be appreciated.

If my advice is a solution, please acknowledge it.

I'm not a Telstra employee.
50 + years exp. in radio comms., eg mobile phones since 1963, two-way radios, base stations, antennas & pagers. Expert in current Telstra Go repeaters & smart antennas.
"Being 76 years of age, entitles one to be an expert at everything!!"
derpasherpa

Thank you very much for your response Jupiter. I had to skip the first step as lockdowns in my state  don't allow me to visit at a store at the moment.

I am up to the complain with the TIO and will get onto ACCC if this doesn't get a reasonable solution

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit