Highlighted
Level 2: Rookie

Telstra changes my contract then expects me to pay over $2000 to cancel it.

Last July I was convinced by Telstra to move my mobile phones (x2) from 3 to Telstra in a home package. I already had 2 home phones with them and a wireless broadband account (couldn't get ADSL here). They told me that I "DEFINATELY" could get bigpond ADSL in my area (despite my protests because I have been told this a few times before by Telstra). So, I signed a 24 month contract, and switched over my mobiles.

Before switching I double and triple checked that calls between the two phones would not be charged (as I was currently getting them free with 3) as there are up to 10 phone calls a day (some lengthy) between the two numbers.

Anyway, turns out I was right and Telstra could not provide ADSL coverage. It took several months of lengthy phone calls, visits to the Telstra Shop and the eventual involvement of the ombudsman to get Telstra to refund my money on the modem and t-box and stop charging my account for a service they could not provide. Now, I've just found out that I'm not getting the free calls between the two mobiles either which is adding over $120 a month to my bill. I'm not happy as this was not what I signed up for but I've been told today that to leave the contract I will have to pay $2294.34.

I don't understand why I have to be the one out of pocket because Telstra can't provide the service/plan/product I was signed up for. Surely it's them that will be in breach of contract not me.

I thought I would be considered a good customer given that I have 2 post paid mobiles, 2 home phones, 1 wireless internet connection, and an additional mobile internet connection (all on the same bill) and then 2 extra prepaid mobiles. Alas, today's phone call with "Customer Service" (lol), has left me with no option but to seek assistance from the ombudsman again. 

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
Community Alumni (Retired)

Re: Telstra changes my contract then expects me to pay over $2000 to cancel it.

The feature you are referring to is part of a Bundle called Family Calls Benefit. If you entered into a contract on the expicit statement that you would receive that benefit, you should be entitled to cancel the mobile contracts, port back to 3 (or Vodafone) as long as you agree to return any hardware that Telstra provided you with.

Have you tried calling 13 22 00 and saying "Complaints" yet?

B.

----------------------------

New Users - Click Here!

Highlighted

Yes, tried calling and spent about 45mins on phone (mostly on hold) only to be if I wasn't happy I had to pay $2294.34 in fees to get out of the contract. I was told my complaint was being "escalated" and they would call back that afternoon but as expected, I heard nothing.

Highlighted
Community Alumni (Retired)

@tle wrote:

Yes, tried calling and spent about 45mins on phone (mostly on hold) only to be if I wasn't happy I had to pay $2294.34 in fees to get out of the contract. I was told my complaint was being "escalated" and they would call back that afternoon but as expected, I heard nothing.

If you said the word complaints to 13 22 00, and you haven't received a callback within the agreed time, the next course of escalation is usually the TIO.

It sounds like an extreme move, but maybe it will teach people to honour their commitments Smiley Sad

B.

----------------------------

New Users - Click Here!

Highlighted
Level 23: Superhero

I'm not normally one who suggests the TIO often either, however in this case I think it may be warranted.

If you've dealt with frontline customer service, lodged an official complaint, and are still being told you'll have to pay large early termination fees, I would suggest seeking dispute resolution through the TIO.

If the package was sold to you on the basis of the free family calls, and they can't/won't provide that to you through no fault of your own, then they are required to let you exit the service contract without penalty.  However, if you received new phones for example as part of the deal, you would need to return those or pay for them.

If you've found a solution then don't forget to mark that post accordingly.
If you think I've been of assistance to you please remember to let me know by clicking on the LIKE button.

Please note: I am not a Telstra employee and any posts or opinions are entirely my own and don't reflect any official company position.
Highlighted

It keeps getting better!!

Today I finally receive a letter following my formal complaint but they've addressed none of my issues. Instead, they've decided that they will add another $20.95 to my account each month because they are discontinuing my "Telstra Bundle Discount". I can't find any trace of that discount on any of my former bills. As far as I can see the only discount I'm receiving is $20 for having 2 mobiles, 2 wireless/mobile internet accounts and 2 home lines on the same bill.

Looks like I now have no choice but to go to the TIO. I'm yet to meet a single person (other than Telstra Customer Service Staff) that think I should have to pay over $2000 to break a contract that Telstra can no longer provide.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit